Paradise Point Resort & Spa
US$523
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$256
US$226
  • Restaurant
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$236
  • Pool
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$474
  • Room Service
US$231
US$224
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$168
  • Restaurant
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$213
6,061 results
All reviewsbarefoot bar and grillbayside bungalowcaveman pizzatidal restaurantmain poolsea worldmission bayfire pitbike rentalstennis courtsconference centerbeautiful propertyfamily vacationla jollapoolsduckshawaii
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

There was a group of us staying here and upon arrival, the place seemed spectacular. However, looks can be deceiving!

Customer service was horrible. We arrived and only one of our rooms was ready. We were told it would only be about 10-15minutes and someone would be to our other room, with the key, to the second room. No one ever came. We called down to the front office and were told someone would be right over. Again, no one came. When we called back, we were met with hostility from the woman at the front desk. Finally, after over an hour of waiting, we were brought our keys.

And don't even get me started on the service at their barefoot bar and grill. From the time we got there, until we paid our bull, was over 2.5hrs. We waited for our food for over an hour, before someone finally came out and told us that computers had gone down. What I find odd about that, is that everyone else around us was getting their food. Once we got out food, it was pretty good and the chef even offered us a complimentary dessert or drink. Once we were finished, our server came and got our plates, only to disappear for almost 20min before bringing us our bill. Before he had come back, I had gotten up to see where he was and what was going on. Several people walked right passed me, as I was standing there, and no one bothered to ask if I needed assistance with anything. I looked in the walkway area and saw the hostess swinging around a pole, while licking food off of a spoon. It was quite literally the most bizarre thing I had ever seen, when it comes to customer service.

The bar area was great, however. Bartenders were very attentive and friendly.

Our rooms APPEARED to be quite clean and nice, from a quick look. However, I found a used bar of soap in the shower and our beds had sand in them.

All-in-all, I probably wouldn't recommend this resort. At least not until tey do some serious cleanup on their customer service.

The best part, was once we received our final bill, there were charges on their for things we never even used. One of the bartenders at the poolside bar had even tried charging us twice for one of our drinks. Charged my card once and then tried putting on our rooms bill as well.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Holls131
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Overall we had a wonderful stay at this property but it was largely in part to the bungalow we had. Initially, we booked a garden bungalow because space was very important to us since we had our two young children but when we arrived I immediately asked if they had something on the water. We ended up going with their premium Lanai bayside suite. This was a smaller room but I have to say, this is what made the trip for us. Our room sat right on the water and we woke up to a beautiful view every morning. Our kids could easily step outside and play in the sand or in the water while we sat comfortably and watched. We paddle boarded right outside of our room, took daily walks on the beach, and enjoyed s'mores with our personal fire pit we had (again- right outside of our room) My 6 year old joked that we had our very own private beach! I don't think our stay would have been the same if we ended up in one of their other rooms. The property is extremely kid friendly, the restaurants overlook the water, and there's plenty of really fun activities to do. The pool is just ok. I would definitely return IF we had one of their waterfront rooms.

Room Tip: Go with a waterfront room!!
3  Thank OfflineFreshAir
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel not knowing much about it other than the massive amount of reviews written for it.

The price was an issue at first, but I went the weekend after Comic Con and my choices in San Diego hotels were minimal.

The hotel sits on what seems to be a man made island. The grounds are beautiful with plenty of Palm trees, flowering trees and plenty of ponds throughout. The rooms from the outside are nothing fancy but the architecture is appropriate for the landscape. The inside has modern furniture and an extremely large bathroom. I found the place a bit dirty, but I'm a clean freak so not many hotels meet my expectations. So if you think the room is going to be immaculate. It won't. Our cleaning lady was nineteen years old. Imagine? I think for the prices more experienced help might make a difference. With that said, the place is beautiful to walk around and enjoy the famous san diego sunsets and the sea world fireworks. The fire pits along the bay are first come, first serve. They are usually reserved by the rooms if front of them. The guests put their personal items on them so it's difficult to get a fire pit if your room is not near the beach areas. Ours was 20 feet away and we still could not get one on any of the three nights. On the other hand you have plenty of heated pools and jacuzzis to enjoy. Last, the staff is very nice and professional and very helpful. Liked that. Oh and the food is absolutely wonderful. Some stuff is very pricey like the alcohol so be careful.

A bit pricey, the dirty rooms, and the lack of fire pits did not effect in any way the amount of fun we had on the grounds, the pools and the beach and restaurants. We'll be back next summer.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Rosa C
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Rosa, thank you for the review on TripAdvisor. We’re delighted to hear the details of your recent visit and that you’re already planning to join us again next summer! Your kind comments regarding Paradise Point’s tropical grounds, friendly staff, pools and restaurants are greatly appreciated, as is your feedback on housekeeping, where we will look to improve. We regret hearing that you were unable to enjoy a night next to one of the fire pits that surround the island, and hope you utilize them on your next visit. While they are first come, first served, we encourage guests to share and socialize. We look forward to having you as our guest again in 2015.

Best,
David Hall

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We recently stayed with my daughter, son-in-law, and two grandchildren. I had booked the bayside bungalow and a lanai garden room nine months prior to our visit. The day of check in, the bungalow was ready, but not the garden room. After multiple calls to the front desk, we were given what was supposed to be a comparable room. It was small, with a queen bed, and two tiny windows. We had to get to the management level before it was resolved. I received multiple calls the next day asking if I was satisfied with the new room. We found the staff reactive rather than proactive in solving issues. Employees did not seem that excited about their work and it came across in their tone when answering questions and giving information. Paradise Point charges as a 4 star resort, but the customer service and amenities were more of a 3 star hotel. There was only one restaurant where we could feed the little ones (which was reasonable), but we did have to visit stores off property.

1  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife, toddler and I spent the Canadian long weekend at Paradise Point. It was an excellent getaway, and an ideal place to go with a family - especially with younger kids. The grounds and beach are beautifully maintained. The room was nice; the bathroom was a little bit in need of a renovation, but I understand they do this on a rotating basis, and that more recently renovated rooms are available.

Pros:
-5 pools. One is adult only, and another has a "cantina". Good thing, too...staying hydrated is important!
-Location - easy access to and from the airport, Old Town and Sea World, and to the highways that will take you anywhere else in the city (we did have a rental car).
-Drive up bungalow - such a plus with the number of items you find yourself carrying when travelling as a family. Having to run out to the car for something is more of a chore when it involves an elevator.
-Amenities - to put it simply, if you didn't want to leave the property for a weekend, or a few days, you wouldn't need to. Everything is there.

Suggestions:
-There are a number of food outlets on the property, but only Caveman Pizza takes food orders over the phone. I'm sure they have their reasons for this, but, since it is co-located with the beachfront bar, it seems logical that they could make the takeout menu a little more diverse. This was highlighted for us, as my wife is gluten intolerant. She couldn't eat the pizza, but there were items on the other menus that she could have enjoyed.
-This is a truly family-friendly resort, but the room we had was not laid out with an adventuresome 18 month old in mind. This is probably a comment that the hotel industry in general could benefit from. One minute he was in the fridge (right at his height) the next he was pushing the buttons on the safe, the next, he was in a near collision with the sharp end of the desk, which was right at forehead-height for him. I would happily pay a premium for an environment that had kids in mind, from that perspective, and had put things like the fridge and safe out of reach (IE, we were afraid to use the safe in case he found a way to lock our passports in there!).

If they need an adventuresome toddler to test such an environment, I can make one available.