“Get what you pay for...except PARKING!!!!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #147 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Get what you pay for...except PARKING!!!!”
Reviewed 10 November 2009

My husband & I ended up at Paradise Point not because of our of choice...we used a "don't see the hotel name until you pay" site. And for that reason, I cannot complain, but will give my views after staying there. Check in was very nice....attractive lobby and staff very nice and welcoming. We arrived early (11am) and they were able to give us a room. Mind you, this is early November and it was a Sunday morning...not prime tourist season. But I did appreciate being able to drop our bags in our room as we had a full day planned and did not plan on being back to the hotel until later in the evening. And it is a good thing that we did. If we would have waited until it was dark, we may not have found our room. The lay out can be a bit confusing....the roads in the resot are very narrow and buildings are not marked very clearly. Our room happened to be on the "back-side" of a building...that made for confusion on how to get to it.

The room was a "bungalow" type with a nice, small enclosed patio area at the entrance. They have two nice chairs to enjoy the outdoors. Being on the "back-side" of the building was good for this reason as it gave you more privacy from the parking area.
The room, upon entrance, looked inviting...nice color scheme and pleasant layout...but it did have a rather musty smell as some people have stated before. It wasn't horrible enough to warrent changeing rooms....but was a little distracting. (that is the reason for only 3* for cleanliness)

Because we were there during off-season, we did not use the grounds or pool areas. But they appeared to be well kept and attractive. The pool areas looked nice...one had a fire pit area that would be nice to have used if we had been there longer. I also liked the fact that they had an "adults only" pool....but we did not use it for this trip.

Cleanliness (3*) because of slight musty smell)

Location (4*) is really good...across the street from SeaWorld. So if you have children and this is your primary reason to visit San Diego, it is a good choice. It is close to beaches and has good access to freeways if going other places. I think it is very centrally located for a San Diego vacation.

Rooms (3*) because they are nothing to get excited about (imho)....pretty standard room...two queen beds, desk, chair, TV, drawers for clothing, standard bath....tub/toilet separate from vanity, nice large closet. The negatives about the room...NO coffee pot!!! I thought that coffee pots were almost standard in all hotel rooms these days. They did have a "coffee cart" near the lobby that we walked to for coffee in the morning.....muffin and 2 coffee's were $11..The other negative was the fact that there is no "window" to allow fresh air. There is the "old" wall air conditioner/heater/vent units.....very NOISEY!!! The nobs were not on this particular one, so there was no way to adjust the heat level. The only way to allow fresh air was to leave the door open, or have the noisey fan running. The other negative was that there was no way to turn the porch light off. Because of the door/window set-up, this allowed quite a bit of light to shine into the room along the edge of the curtains....enough to be distracting all night. I am sure they have these lights stay on for safety reason, but I like dark room to sleep in.
Service (4*) as the staff that we dealt with was very accommodating and we were able to get into our room early.

Value (3*)....I did not mind the price that I got using the "no name " service...but I HATE being stuck with a $25 parking fee!!!! My biggest pet-peeve for hotels these days...and the thing I complain about all of the time....just charge more for the room, please...this is considered nickle & dimeing me, and having what I consider to be "hidden fees". (OK, so maybe I am old-school...but I still don't like it!!!)

Would I "chose" to stay here? Maybe/ maybe not......but if you want to "pretend" that you are on a tropical island or Hawaii, without the airfare, this might fit the bill.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cleanmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
dockster
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The grounds were beautiful. And our kids loved the pool. The food was very expensive, but really good. Our room, however, was tiny, outdated and musty smelling....more like a motel. Within 15 minutes of being in the room our children's feet turned black. Absolutely disgusting. The shower curtain also had mold spots on it and the beds/pillows were horrible. The baby crib also had a terrible, musty smell. For the cost of the room (very expensive given it was a holiday weekend), I did expect a nicer room, but most of all I expected a clean one.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

los angeles
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We really loved it here, so many pools and you can walk around inside the resort!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Here's a brief list of the things you must pay for in addition to the room charges: internet ($10/day/computer), parking ($25/day), poorly-equipped gym ($12/day/person), 3.50 per cup of coffee at kiosk (no maker in room).

There is, however, a small bar fridge in the room. So you can manage a cold breakfast without having to pay through the nose at the "resort" restaurants.

There are five pools, but none of them are over three feet deep. Ample lawn chairs near pool area.

The rooms are dark, dank, and musty-smelling. Our toilet started leaking from the base when we turned on the shower. This is more like an old motel rather than a resort. Unless you are here for a conference, it's best to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Coronado, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I hosted out-of-town guests at Paradise Point Resort this weekend. As a local resident, I highly recommend this hotel. The service staff members throughout the resort are excellent! My friends thought the room accommodations were lovely. The bathroom had been remodeled. The carpet and furnishings were clean and attractive. In the evening, the resort roads are lined with tiki-torches. The grounds of this resort are beautiful. The main pool is even better than the web site photos. We enjoyed roasting marshmallows over a bonfire situated next to the pool. The hotel staff lit the gas bonfire pits as a courtesy service. We also had the option to build a bonfire on the beach overlooking the bay. The parking fee of $25/day guaranteed that our car was within just a few steps of your room. Thumbs up to anyone who is considering making a reservation at this hotel. My special thanks to Janeice from San Diego Consierge for the discounted room rate.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank B_Family03
LA
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I booked paradise point through travelzoo special and got a basic room with two queen beds and upgraded was available for $50 dollar for better view instead of my parking space. I didn't upgrade the room due to the fact we were only staying there for one night. The resort is ideal for family who travel with car--the parking is right in front of your room for $25 per night. However, the room definitely need a face-lift. The furniture are old, and room has a funny smell to it. The Bathroom is small and shower water is running everywhere. We reserved the room for three people, but we only got two sets of towels. There is no mini-bar and in-room refrigerator looks dirty. We had to go to resort shop to get a bottle of water. Restaurant and resort shop are expensive, but isn't too bad comparing to any other resort. Besides that, the location is great for seaworld, and suppose to be very relaxing setting. Overall, I don't think the place is living up to its name and price.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The reviews here are correct. I unfortunately got this room via priceline. When I checked in, I asked for a clean room, and was given instead their usual worst offering for priceline customers. The carpets were both stained and dirty and the bathroom had bugs and the paint was peeling in the stained tub. I was too exhausted so I stayed in this "patio" room for 1 night. Plus the staff at the desk was being rude to an elderly lady when I checked in, so I figured I shouldn't bother complaining.

BTW patio rooms on the website are described as "all marble" but I think there are several rooms they give to hotwire/priceline people and they do not have marble anywhere in sight.

For the second night of my stay, I asked for a better room, sighting the stains and was given a "garden" room. This did have an updated bathroom. The marble had seen better days, but it was clean, and there was minimal mold. The carpets in the second room were stained, but looked clean otherwise.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business