“terrible night sleep”

Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #69 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 June 2014

noisy room all night. we requested specific room or nearby location. despite early arrival and request on our reservation, the assigned room was in a different inferior hotel location. noise kept us up all night. very unhappy.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Win H
drehobl, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Win,

We appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel.We apologize for the room assignment not meeting your expectations and that noise kept you up all night. While we strive to meet every room type request, we understand that it can be difficult when the request is not met. We invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Management

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We chose this hotel as it is very close to medical offices we were visiting. All things considered, it was a good value and we would stay there again. The only downside was the noise from the air conditioner and the refrigerator, both of which kept waking us up throughout the night. In the future, I would cool the room down before bed, then turn the air conditioner off. As for the refrigerator, I would just unplug it. The beds were very comfortable, and the room clean and safe. The staff were all very nice and helpful, and the free parking was a welcome surprise considering parking in San Diego can be pricey.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

With so may choices around this hotel for other hotels, I urge other travelers to pay extra and not stay here. The room was filthy and stinky. The AC was loud and barely worked. The walls were thin and could hear every noise around us. The bathtub had rust stains and the staff did not fix the problem. We paid over $800 for 4 nights - incredibly overpriced and disgusting accommodations. Other than dry cereal and whole fruit, breakfast was not eatable. I wouldn't stay in this hotel, let alone a Hampton Inn, again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
4  Thank Jenny S
drehobl, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Jenny,

Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I understand that the appearance and condition of your room was a concern. We are working to correct the A/C issue and we are sorry that you didn’t enjoy our breakfast experience. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay with us at our hotel.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Management

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I came to town for a conference. Although I wasn't super close to the event (due to last minute planning and lots of local events going on that week) I was completely satisfied. Initially, I was so upset to find that the Hilton was booked and my travel agent was trying to sell me on the Hampton Inn. I was forced to take this room. And after all the whining and complaining, I ended up loving it. I came in very late after visiting friends in LA. it seemed very SECLUDED, dark and a little scary. But once I got to the hotel I realized it was clean, up to date, stylish, trendy and the staff was extremely nice and accommodating. I was able to earn Hilton Honor rewards points. The breakfast was FREE and actually pretty good. Housekeeping was thorough and kept my room well stocked. While staying there for 4 days, I've came across several staff members, all just as nice, and helpful as the next. I would say I received just as good of service and the room was just about as nice as the Hilton Pasadena that I had just spent the previous nights at. But with this hotel i paid slightly less, i didn't have to pay for parking (but missed the valet) and did I say FREE breakfast. No stale donuts. I'm talking fresh pastries, hot and cold cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffle maker, fresh fruit and assorted juices and more. AMAZING! I would stay here again if I had to come back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Andrea F
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent location: quiet atmosphere but very close to freeway and shopping. The fourth floor room was very quiet, clean and beautifully decorated.
Plentiful breakfast with a number of hot items and cut fresh fruit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blut M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at this HI over the Memorial Day weekend and was not disappointed. Last time in the area we stayed at the Residence Inn located right next door. This was clean, comfortable, coffee/tea all day long, nice pool (but no jacuzzi), and great breakfast. Easy to get to Padres game & Old Town San Diego, & no craziness of "no parking available". Great area & just up the street movie theatres, shopping, & restaurants. Makes for a relaxing family weekend.

1  Thank twinmom8
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Booked one night for Sunday Memorial Day weekend, we found the lowest rate $110/night for holiday weekend compared to surrounding comparable hotels. The Cons: Hotel is oddly located behind the Residence Inn, across from the Doubletree, right next to the 56 freeway, gas station and Taco Bell, very small workout room and pool. The Pros: The outside appears bland but clean, the large inside lobby has a very relaxing welcoming set up, plenty of comfortable nice looking furniture seating areas, with roomy space and layout. Free Coffee and tea available all day in the lounge/breakfast area. Professional, welcoming customer service at check in and out, we were allowed to check in early about 0100. The included breakfast was very good, fresh and plenty of nice choices, great deal to be included in the nightly rate. There was eggs with ham, thick potato wedges, fresh fruit, tasty breads/muffins, fresh oatmeal, yogurt, cereals, juices, coffee, tea. Our room was roomy/clean, the ac worked well, bed felt great, nice linen/towels, freeway noise not too loud, good internet connection included. Free parking available in their lot and underground parking also. Within 15-20 mins. to La Jolla and downtown San Diego, very close to beaches. We were very happy and impressed with the service, our room, the hotel's large welcoming lobby setup, the wonderful breakfast, the great rate and relative proximity to other San Diego locations. We will definitely recommend and return to this Hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest from the freeway and top floor.
2  Thank TimeFourFamily
#107 of 278 in San Diego
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!