“Great location and value for money”
Review of Western Inn

Western Inn
Ranked #131 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I recently stayed here and chose this hotel because it was a good price. It isn't anything flash, but the rooms are clean and air conditioned, the staff are friendly and breakfast is included. It is a great location in old town and has a car park so for a small fee you can park your car off the street, which we found helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife, teenage daughter and I stayed at the Western Inn and found it quite acceptable for us. This is our fouth stay in the Old Town area of San Diego for the ComiCon Convention. The location is good in that the trip to the convention is a simple ten minuted walk from the hotel and a ten minute ride on the trolley train. The train stops right in front of the convention center at two at either end of the building. Now for the uninitiated, there are NO inexpensive hotels stays during the convention. We knew this and Western Inn was one of the least expensive. There are few amenities there. They have a SMALL continental breakfast and wifi in the rooms. The wifi was pretty much overloaded in the early evening so don't expect a lot. The room was VERY clean and the beds nice. The bathroom had plenty of towels (4). There is a refrigerator and TV in the room but we did nt use them. It was quiet for us. The air conditioner worked and was reasonably quiet. We had a slight problem at first getting into the room. A maintenance person had to come out with a special device to reset the locks. It took little time. There is no bathroom in the lobby. The staff is friendly we tipped them well when we left. A tip for breakfast: Right across the street in a Courtyard my Marriott with a Extended Starbucks inside which serves breakfast. We used their restrooms as well. For breakfast, I had fried eggs, bacon, toast and potatoes with my coffee. My wife had the fruit parfait yogurt. Breakfast was delicious. There are lots of other restaurants nearby as well.

Room Tip: I am not sure. There were rooms on the other side that had exterior tables and chairs. The nearby fr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gus and Dee
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a family owned and run hotel in a great location in Old Town San Diego. Perfect for walking to the many restaurants and shops. Large rooms, very clean and comfortable.
Could use a little updating but all in all the staff were very friendly and our stay pleasant. A free continental breakfast in the lobby was provided.

Room Tip: I only saw our room so have no comparisons. It seemed that all the rooms have that air conditioning...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I did not expect the rooms to be as big and clean as they were. I was very pleased with the room and how clean it was for the price we paid. They charge for parking so we parked on the street which was fine because it was a quiet street. The man at the front desk was very nice. The bathroom could have been cleaner. Good location for a short walk to Old Town. May visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Don't book through Expedia. hotels dot com was 60 bucks lower. For prices shown on Hotels dot com it is a good deal. it is an older hotel, but the room was quite large and also clean. Great water pressure in the shower. Friendly employees. The location is only a few blocks from Old Town. they do not have an airport shuttle and there is no lounge, but the Courtyard by Marriott is across the street and has a small bar an food during specific hours. .The Courtyard employees were also very nice. I promised to tip the driver $10 and they let him shuttle me to the airport.

The important draw back for me was there were far too few electrical outlets, especially near the desk. I also prefer more light in the room, but the windows have great slat blinds that do brighten the room. The ironing board is one of those small ones with 6 inch or so legs, but there really is nowhere to put it at a reasonable height if you are using the desk.

Pretty good value for the money. If spending more is in the budget then you might like other hotels more, but I was good with my 2 night stay there.

Room Tip: They have both smoking and non-smoking as well as an out door smoking area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2014

There is no wifi on the 3rd floor and the only thing that your smart phone or iPad will get for the wifi id is "Stayoffmywifi". If you want to save $$$, don't pay for parking, because there are curb side parking spaces around the Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
westerninn, Manager at Western Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello

We are sorry for the problem you had for the wireless problem on the 3rd floor, we did find out that our access point went down but we are able to take care of that problem. Once again we are sorry that the wireless did not work while you were staying with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have been here twice and never was told they had a pool and fitness center.I mainly chose this hotel because it is near the freeway and Old town San Diego and relatives to visit and to take the Trolley Tour

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family