“Traveler with dog”

Ranked #222 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“Traveler with dog”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Once again this hotel proves to be a big step up for a budget traveler. Way better than Motel 6, and cheaper, and I am a long time Motel 6 fan because my dog stays free. Dogs stay here free as well. To imagine people liked the local Motel 6 rooms, at which I have stayed, better is beyond comprehension.
The Premier check in is slow right along with the elevator. The beds are soft topped without the scratchy sheets. You get sandlewood soap AND shampoo along with a refrigerator in your room. Walk down to one end and enjoy a little league game in the ball fields. Drive a bit back down the highway and you are at the San Diego Trolley stop for quick and easy trips into down town.

The rooms are very clean and the furniture is not nicked or burnt by cigarettes. All in all, not sure what the complainers thought they were getting for $31 ( AAA, AARP, or military discount during the week) but have had no trouble with early check in, the night desk people, nor the housekeeping over 5 visits now.

Room Tip: Book on line.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelerWithDog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ventura
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Ok, we are on a budget and $42.99 was cheep. The lobby was nice and Tony at the front desk was wonderful. The Motel 6 up the street over booked us but we did stay one night and i must say the room was "very" clean the front desk staff was nice was well, so we went down the street to the Premier inn. OMG next time i will stay in my car ( if we did not have the kids and our dog) we had a 2nd floor room and the elavator was not working and we has a ton of stuff so we had to clime the stairs. we required a NONE Smoking room as we don't smoke but not around our kids we called the front desk and was advised that we only have smoking room and it was a holiday. The room had a heavy smell of smoke and the carpet had a smell we all tried to identify and you could smell and i am 6"1 meaning i did not bend down to smell the carpet. we requested to move room but I was lucky to get a room at all. A few nights before we stayed at La Quinta for 3 nights read my review on La Quinta ( Great Hotel ) but was overbooked and we move to the Motel 6 so we back to the Premier Inn review. the beds were so saggy and uncomfortable the room was dark dingy and smelly, We stayed for 5 nights the 2nd night Cockroaches invaded the bathroom in our dogs food. We showed the night person on the desk and asked him to give the General Manager a message for the morning, the next morning we did not get a call from Her finally i called her office and She moved our rooms but i felt this was not going to make me happy 11am the maid knocked on the door asking if we are checking out i told her i don't know, that the front desk called us and asked us if we are staying over in the front desk rudely advised us if we are staying over we have to pay, i told the girl we need to speak with the General manager. But was told if we are staying we have to pay or "get out" The manager moved our rooms and the next room was not as bad, but the beds? OMG the same but worse. than we stayed in that room and the last day i was raining and waiting for our family to pick us up to see the rest of our family and waiting out side and was told we could not sit on the property and we would have to wait in the street and it was raining. The rooms are nasty and druggies keeped up up and the police must have been to the hotel a half dozen times it was like cops

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank mark J

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 25 December 2012

My stay wasn't too bad for the price. The ladies who work the front desk are very friendly and most helpful but the guy who works in the evening is completely rude and disrespectful. The cleaning staff is alright but only a few words of English. They bang on the door as if to wake the dead and for the most part are very nice. The rooms are nice size but they could be cleaner. Better than Motel 6 cleanliness-wise tho.
Very loud at all hours of the day or night. They have complimentary shampoo if you forgot yours which is helpful. The A/C unit worked perfectly as did the tv. The pool and Jacuzzi are quiet and clean. Plenty of parking and they do have security.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room that way they'll space you away from other occupants.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Louise C
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I booked this hotel aware that it was significantly cheaper than anything else I could find, and was prepared for a certain level of sketchiness. I was pleasantly surprised! Aside from a musty smell in the elevator (easily averted by taking the stairs - it's always sunny in San Diego!), I have no complaints about this place. It was clean (bathroom and linens - and , rooms were cleaned each day). Staff was perfectly friendly, they have a free internet booth (free for 20 min), coffee and tea in the morning, and a great pool and hot tub!

The room wasn't huge (just 1 queen bed and a 1-person sofa), but that's not really a priority for me when I stay at a hotel, so it wasn't an issue. It's a no-frills hotel, but you still get a fridge, iron, fresh linens every day, a decent bed, and a television. I would definitely stay here again & recommend it to friends, as well.

Location was great - it's located on Hotel Circle Place, which is with all the hotels like Comfort Inn, etc. Just minutes from Ocean beach & minutes away from a huge shopping complex with breakfast spots and whatever chain stores you might need (Target, Best Buy, etc).

No complaints!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Colleen T
Arizona
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I was excited to get a great rate for this place based on the reviews and location. I don't think I'll stay here again.

The room seemed clean enough, though set up oddly. The bedroom portion was a little snug while the bathroom was surprisingly large, especially considering it had absolutely zero counter space. A little inconvenient. When I got into bed, I found a hair. Not in a sheets-haven't-been-washed way, but housekeeping-lost-a-hair way. I removed it and tried to forget it. The next morning I found a few very long hairs in my towel. I got fresh towels the next day and yet again, more hair all over the towels. Too much. Also, the inspection certificate in the elevator expired a couple years ago. Maybe they have a new one that isn't on display, but it was a little unnerving to notice the expiration date amidst the elevator's creaking.

If hair doesn't bother you, this place may work for you. The best thing about it is its location, located just off the freeway and near Fashion Valley shopping center (Target and a few restaurants).

Room Tip: Ask about upgraded rooms. I'd hate to see what the non-upgraded rooms were like. If you have...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sonia530
Reviewed 26 July 2012

When we first arrived, we had to wait a very long time while the incompetent desk clerk attempted to check in someone else. When she finally got to us after 30 minutes, even though we had a reservation and it was 6:00 PM, we were told that our rooms were not ready. We had two rooms, and the clerk was unable to determine which of my parents was my dad...in spite of his beard!? We were on the fourth floor, and we took the smelly and filthy elevator, the whole time being afraid it would break because it rattled and smelled strongly of hydraulic oil. The outside corridors have clearly never been cleaned, and you left footprints from stepping on the carpet. The towels were dirty and scratchy and the pillows were lumpy. To be fair though, the room actually did seem fairly clean once you got inside. Warning though: the rates for this hotel had risen since we made our reservation less than a month ago, and you should be careful because advertised rates are not what you'll pay.
On the second day, the elevator actually did break, but the desk clerk was not apologetic and even made a joke about gremlins...? We had just been to Disneyland and ridden The Tower of Terror, so when the elevator was "repaired" (with a temporary permit) and we saw that the maximum occupancy was 13...coincidence??? Don't think so. Scary!
On the plus side, the hotel was pet friendly, and we had two dogs with us. Obviously we had to take them out, but the doggy bag dispenser outside had been rusted shut and was empty. Also, the parking lot was not well lit and was fairly creepy...and included what looked like an exploded bird.
Overall, I would never stay here again and would never recommend it to anyone who liked normal hotels with non-creepy desk clerks or elevators.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank SleeplessinnSanDiego
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Just what I was looking for! Competitively priced, clean, comfy, cozy and convenient. Perfect location for my adventures to Old Town, Balboa Park (zoo and the Old Globe), Coronado Island and the neighborhood of North Park.
When I visit SD I spend so little time in my room that a motel, with its low overhead and minimal amenities is preferred over a hotel. Why pay for all that hotel “fluff and stuff” when you spend so little time there? I need a central location, easy freeway access, safety and cleanliness. This place fits the bill!
I’LL BE BACK ....