“Good enough but could be great”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #230 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Located on Hotel Circle, this hotel is on the margin of getting a "very good" from me.

The good things are that the rooms all open on secure, interior hallways. There's just one elevator and to get to it, you have to pass the front desk. All the other doors are locked and accessible only with a room key.

Next, there's free internet, free parking, and decent rooms with a kitchenette. No big frills, but nice to have. There is an ironing board, hair dryer, etc., convenient plugs for you electronics, and all the necessities you might need.

Spacious. Windows that open. Plenty of lighting. Nice-sized bath. Very reasonably priced, even on walk-up with no reservation.

Now to get the "very good" I'd love to give this place it needs just a few things. The trash cans need to be emptied more often on the exterior and the elevator could use a good wipe-down. Blankets should be inspected for holes and carpet replaced when worn.

That's it! Otherwise, it's a nice place!

Keep in mind that I had a smoking room - I don't smoke but that's all they had. It smelled (amazingly) fresh so I took it but there were burns in the carpet and around the bathroom sink. If I were this hotel, I'd ban the smokers to the outside like most places do. To each his own, though.

The area is hotel circle. I find the area inexpensive but otherwise unattractive. It's right on the freeway, as are all the hotels in the area.

On the other hand, it's just down the hill from Hillcrest, near the Fashion Valley Mall, and just minutes from downtown and the airport.

I liked this place because it didn't pretend to be something it's not.

Room Tip: Try to get a non-smoking room away from the smoking wing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nombre D
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Not bad. Room was clean enough, everything worked well but my son has allergies and can't use feather pillows so we called the desk for a hypo-allergenic one but they didn't have any. Most hotels have those now. Also I noticed no shampoo just a bar of soap so I had to go out and buy some. On a positive note, the grab & go breakfast was just what I needed.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank shortstick75

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies. I am eager to respond to your concerns regarding our hotel amenities. It is our mission to provide a clean, comfortable room at a great rate for business and leisure travelers. To that end, we don't put items like shampoo bottles, shower caps, or face lotions within a room prior to a guest's arrival. That's because although these things are perceived as being "free" at other hotels, you still end up paying for them in your nightly rate. However, given our commitment to your satisfaction, we do have a limited supply of complimentary sundries available upon request at the front desk. Doing business this way allows us to continue to offer great rooms at exceptional rates. I am truly sorry that we were unable to communicate our offering effectively to you before you arrived. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Hotel was booked by a peer in the company I work for. Unfortunately, a big miss. I am in town for 4 nights, and this is night one. I already booked another hotel for the other 3 immediately after checkin; have to stay tonight because I am locked in for one night already. I don't feel safe here at all. The clientel that I have seen since checkin reminds me more of a motel 6. The only reason I gave a ranking of two, is you get what you pay for. Budget price, well... The room seems relatively clean, but outdated, and there is no maid service during your stay. The office closes at 10, and you'll need to call the attendant if checking in or have any need after that. The attendant was very friendly though. It has a motel feel for sure. Personally I would rather feel safe and have a comfortable stay somewhere else, with better ammendeties.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank William J

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies. It is my pleasure to respond to your concern about our front desk hours. I regret that we did not successfully communicate our front desk hours to you prior to your arrival. Our front desk operates between 7am and 11pm seven days/week. In the event that our guests need assistance during other hours, we always have on-staff overnight help that can be reached by phone. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I had a meeting, and stayed at Homestead Studio in San Diego/ Mission Valley. The room is clean, and remodeled (and somehow it's still smell fresh paint.) Night attendant was friendly though I checked in after midnight. The hotel is close main freeways, shopping, but very quiet. Good value for a short trip in San Diego.

3  Thank Phillip T
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Newly renovated. Rooms are modern. Kitchen and bath had been updated with granite.

My gripe:
I know check in is 3pm, but I have never been refused checkin anywhere because it wasn't 3pm on the dot. Most hotels will be accommodating and give you a room or if it's a very busy hotel they will ask you to check back in an hour. NOT this place. It was 12:30 and the woman at the desk didn't even look at the computer. She just said no and to come back after 3. Understand that this is not exactly a booming hotel. It's in a business park and I can assure you there was a room available on a Thursday afternoon.

1  Thank John X
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead San Diego - Mission Valley. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Our goal is to ensure guests feel welcome from the moment they walk into our lobby to check in and this is of high importance as we always make sure we have a room for our booked reservations even if it is before the 3:00 p.m. check in time. Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and I will be reviewing the schedule to discuss the unfortunate mishap you encountered with the individual you encountered as well as the rest of the staff so this incident does not repeat itself. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

The pepole there are very friendly and the manager is one of the nicest people I dealt with. So I strongly recommend people to go there and stay at this hotel. It realy fills like home. :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are very clean, and look good.
1  Thank Alex D
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel was disgusting! When I arrived I was given a room on the first floor. When I got to my room I found it to be directly across from one of the trash areas(maybe 4 or 5 feet away). The trash was just dumped under the stairwells, no bins and no covers. There were so many flies swarming that I couldn't get to the door without going through them. The next room they gave me smelled horrid and had urine still on the toilet! The walkway to the room had piles of cigarette buts, litter, and beer cans. I decided to give it one more try and went to a third room. The room stunk of urine so bad I couldn't stand it and hadn't been vacuumed. Needless to stay, I did not even stay a whole night. This place was a dump!! Do NOT be fooled by the " recently renovated" claim they are making. I had several coworkers also stay in this hotel. The complaints were endless. Extremely noisy plumbing, tiny rooms, broken a/c units, broken toilets and showers, etc.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MKBL999
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent experience at Homestead San Diego-Mission Valley. Providing you with a comfortable stay from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart is my staff’s primary duty. Hearing we failed in your case truly disheartening and for that I offer my sincerest apology.

Please understand that we maintain strict quality control standards, which demand every room be inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve and how important it is to every customer to have a memorable experience.

While we are still fine tuning various items as we wrap up our renovations, let me assure you that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won’t be repeated. Again I apologize and promise that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don’t hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again it future travels will bring you into our area.