“Terrible night's sleep, stuffy room”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #230 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We chose this property because of the location and because it has a kitchen, which is always good with a small child so we can feed him properly. Reservation and check in staff were helpful. But upon entering, the room smelled musty and after two nights, every time I came in from outside, I felt stifled and could not wait to get out. The room is quite small when you have the sofa bed extended, basically a regular hotel room with kitchen facilities (no complaints on the kitchen, it includes a double burner, a pot and skillet and enough plates and utensils, and I am sure we could have gotten more if needed so it worked fine for a rotisserie chicken and veggies from nearby supermarket.) We left today and my neck and body aches and I am so tired from not getting a good night's sleep, mainly because of the horrible pillows, flat flat flat. My husband hated the sheets. A great or a bad bed can totally make or break your stay at any hotel. Overall not a great stay for the price, it ended up almost $100 per night with taxes, compared to regular hotels with good ratings but no kitchen for half that price this time of year. Coffee and breakfast items available in the lobby were appreciated.

Room Tip: I had been told a corner room was larger with a divider, but our corner room did not have that, mayb...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that our beds did not provide a quality night's sleep for you. Please accept my apology. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am working with our maintenance and housekeeping department to improve our bedding. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me (James) directly, at jburpo@extendedstay.com or Amon at amurti@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

horrible, moldy, dirty. they don't do housekeeping until after 1 week. no coffee in room. horrible, horrible, horrible. TV kept turning off. Bulbs burned out. Dishes were dirty.

noisy. Bed was hard. Doors slammed. It is not a good value. I would not stay here even if free

Room Tip: Donot stay here
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The room cleanliness issues you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am working with the management to ensure that every room is inspected by management everyday so that the issues you described do not happen again in the future. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me (James) at jburpo@extendedstay.com or Amon at amurti@extendedstay.com.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Most of the Extended Stay hotels are very similar and predictable. The modern kitchenette is such a bonus for us. We bring our favorite drinks and snacks and really save money and feel at home by doing so. It is in a quiet location above the Ralph's shopping center, a bit of work to find it the first time, check google maps in detail if you are a first time user of this property. It was very clean and very reasonably priced. Most of the usual group discounts apply, so be sure to ask for them. Also joining their rewards club was smart because they don't flood me with emails, but a few times a year I get notices of additional discounts at all locations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Fellow-Travelor
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you find our kitchens useful during your travels and that we were able to provide a clean and quiet room to make your stay more comfortable. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Hotel has been recently updated, "Love the granite tops in kitchenette"! Hotel manager and staff are very friendly and always trying to make your stay a success. If you are in their area, I suggest giving them a chance to meet your needs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end of the building are more convenient to parking.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert D
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed our recent renovation including the granite countertops. Additionally, thank you very much for the kind words regarding our management and staff, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget, and do not expect much, this is the place for you. You will get a low budget room, matress, bedding, carpeting, service, and a poor excuse for a breakfast (coffiee and a small, plastic wrapped danish or granola bar) on a cart across from the check in/out counter. Dont be surprised

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that the quality of your stay was not acceptable specifically the service and quality of the room furnishings. In response to your feedback, I am have our management team look at the quality of carpet and change it where necessary, additionally, we will address service training immediately to improve upon the experience you had. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate yo letting us know about your expereice. I invite you to contact me at jburpo@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments that we can bring to our staff's attention. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I have stayed by myself and with my family and I have had a great experience. The rooms are very clean and the kitchenets are well stocked all you need is foof to cook. I would recomened Extended to everyone.

Room Tip: reserved ahead, they are very busy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard S
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I was here for a week
This hotel is great if you are on a budget and just need a place to rest while you're traveling
The rooms basic and clean
Free parking
Good location: close to many Vons/Walmart/Dollar Tree/restaurants. If you like Japanese/Asian area this place is only 3 miles away.
Full fridge and Stove (no oven).
They give you some basic dishes and pots/pan
Free internet
Free breakfast (basic)
Good customer service
No gym
No pool
Very efficient, nothing fancy

Con: weak water pressure

So if you're a budget this is an excellence stay. Its not mean for recreation or anything. If you want something fancier and can afford it Residence Inn is recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CloverIsSweet
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.