“Mixed Experience, OK Service”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #230 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Our experience at staying this Extended stay was a mixed one. We had booked a room asking for 2 beds - when we arrived at about 9:30 PM with 2 young kids in tow after driving for 10 hours from San Francisco, our room looked quite unprepared - particularly the pull out bed within the couch. When we called the front desk letting them know the bed was missing, they asked us to look in the closet and try fix the bed ourselves since there was no one available!!!! - This was painful but I decided to go ahead and do this myself since the kids were crying and we needed to get them to bed. Unfortunately the mattress in the closet would not fit the bed frame within the pull out couch - It was a different size mattress!!!!. I called the front desk again and they shifted us to another room - it is about 11 PM and the kids had almost fallen asleep; Lugging up all our baggage and moving the sleepy kids up the stairs was going to be a nightmare - Crying kids, Hauling baggage up the stairs and close to midnight was not what we had in mind for a holiday! I had asked the front desk lady to ask the manager to call me in the morning but the call never came. The rest of the days in this new room were OK but when it came time to settle the bill, we realized they had overcharged us - A second request for the manager and nobody called (again!) We eventually went down to meet this lady at the front desk and they eventually got it fixed; And I expressed our extreme displeasure at the experience and left. A couple days later when we had arrived back home I received a call from the manager who apologized and said he would be sending a free night coupon in the mail. While we certainly appreciated the sentiment, it was a nightmare we will never forget any time we go to San Diego and.... it was too little too late!

Room Tip: if you are getting a room with two beds, make sure to tell them that you do NEED the beds and fully...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so disappointed that you experience with us left a sour taste. Please accept my apology. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am going to have our maintenance department check all the pull out sofas to make sure they are functioning properly. Additionally, we are going to have our associates, management included, retrained in basics of customer service. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me, Amon, directly, at amurti@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

This is my fourth stay at the Mission Valley Extended Stay. there is ample room in the semi suite which includes a large refrigerator stove and sink. There is no pool jacuzzi, workout room or fitness center but they do have a free breakfast which includes oatmeal, coffee, fresh fruit and granola bars. It is located in an odd location near industrial parks and there's really nothing else around. But that's good because you're going to have peace and quiet at night.

Believe me you're getting bang for your buck here. You'll save money by cooking some of your own meals as well a Tsang advantage off the free breakfast. The only drawback is that there is no maid service but they do allow a towel exchange at the front desk as well as replenish toiletries.

Room Tip: since it's pet friendly choose a second floor room to avoid dog or cat allergies
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mreventos
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review of your most recent stay with us. We're thrilled that they grab and go breakfast was a great value to you during your stay with us. We look forward to your continued business. Again, thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We have stayed at several Extended Stay America properties in the past because we like the suite layout with the kitchen and it's reasonably priced. The big difference we have found at this location is the extremely friendly and helpful staff, on all of the shifts. We have family in San Diego and it's very pleasant to visit them but it's nice to be able to come back to a comfortable, clean and convenient 'place of own' in a nice centrally located area.The property and the rooms are well cared for. Looking forward to going back in April when our next granddaughter will "arrive"!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased that we are able to provide a home away from home while you are visiting relatives in San Diego. We look forward to welcoming you back in April when your granddaughter "arrives"! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in April!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

We have family in San Diego with young grandchildren, so we visit as often as possible. We found this "new home" several trips ago and do so look forward to returning. The property is well placed and very well maintained. The footprint of the suite is very efficient and it is very clean. But most important is the hospitality of the staff. We will return to our "home away from home" as soon as we are able!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your stay with us. We take a lot pride when you call us "your home away from home". I'm so pleased to hear that the hospitality of the staff is what earned that statement from you. We sincerely look forward to seeing you next time you visit your family in San Diego. Again, thank you very much for the incredibly nice comments.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Overall my stay was very comfortable while visiting family. Will return and recommend. Everything thing was near like restaurants and groceries very convienient . Love the area ,lots to do. All the employees that worked at the hotel were very helpful and very informative.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank ponilious
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our associates were helpful during you stay and that they were able to provide information on the local area. Thank you choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

The staff is very professional and friendly. The room and ground is clean and well maintained. Would definitely recommend this place especially if you are staying for awhile as there is a kitchen and very centrally located. No complaints from me.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 129KCC

I appreciate you taking the time to write such an excellent review our hotel. I'm thrilled that you would recommend our property to other travellers. Additionally, it's great to hear that the associates were friendly during your stay. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We chose this property because of the location and because it has a kitchen, which is always good with a small child so we can feed him properly. Reservation and check in staff were helpful. But upon entering, the room smelled musty and after two nights, every time I came in from outside, I felt stifled and could not wait to get out. The room is quite small when you have the sofa bed extended, basically a regular hotel room with kitchen facilities (no complaints on the kitchen, it includes a double burner, a pot and skillet and enough plates and utensils, and I am sure we could have gotten more if needed so it worked fine for a rotisserie chicken and veggies from nearby supermarket.) We left today and my neck and body aches and I am so tired from not getting a good night's sleep, mainly because of the horrible pillows, flat flat flat. My husband hated the sheets. A great or a bad bed can totally make or break your stay at any hotel. Overall not a great stay for the price, it ended up almost $100 per night with taxes, compared to regular hotels with good ratings but no kitchen for half that price this time of year. Coffee and breakfast items available in the lobby were appreciated.

Room Tip: I had been told a corner room was larger with a divider, but our corner room did not have that, mayb...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that our beds did not provide a quality night's sleep for you. Please accept my apology. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am working with our maintenance and housekeeping department to improve our bedding. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me (James) directly, at jburpo@extendedstay.com or Amon at amurti@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.