“I love this hotel!”

Ranked #222 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“I love this hotel!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I stay in hotels over 200 nights a year, this is my favorite one I get to travel to. The room is very spacious, I always get the king, with sofa and obviously kitchen.

I read the last review that didn't have a good experience and am surprised by it...

I love this place... I stay her every time I'm in San Diego

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San DIego
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I recently moved to San Diego so I booked a week at this Extended Stay because of the relatively low price and kitchen. I read some of the reviews but figured since I wasn't on vacation, perhaps I'd have a different opinion of the hotel. I don't. It's dirty. I'm on the first floor and my door opens directly to the parking lot. The door doesn't shut all the way when you close it. You have to push on it hard. There's also a fairly large gap all the way around the door. It makes me feel unsafe. The bed. Oy. I took off the top cover blanket (I always do) and the white blanket underneath was clean (I hope) but stained. Gross. I pulled back the blanket and the sheets are so thin, I can see the blue mattress through them. I'm sleeping with my own personal clean blankets that I pulled out of my boxes of stuff. The bathroom. So old and it just looks so dirty. I can't wait to get out of here. The kitchen supplies are pathetic. I have one pan and two lids. No pot. 2 plastic cups, mismatched everything else. I may have a kitchen but I'm definitely not using it. The phone was filthy and I actually clean dirt of it before using it. I'm checking out early. I'd rather stay in a La Quinta for the same price. Front desk ladies were friendly.

Room Tip: For a good room, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your room was not thoroughly cleaned and fully stocked before your arrival. As well, I am sorry that you had some difficulties with your door. I will be meeting with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs to ensure your experience is not repeated. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at mvl@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I recently STAYED AT ESA-FASION VALLEY. Location was convinient (PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION,STORES,RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA), room was worth what I payed(KITCHEN W/KITCHEN UTENCILS.MICROWAVE FULL SIZE REFRIGERATOR) staff is GREAT!! OMAR and NANCY at the front desk were really POLITE, NICE and HELPFULL and made me feel like HOME I'll DEFINITELY stay in another occassion in this hotel :)
ADDITIONAL TIP`
(if you book through any website that is NOT theirs make sure you call hotel to confirm wherher your room is smoking non smoking, king or whatever.)

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our location worked out so well for you with all the nearby stores and restaurants and found our rooms with kitchens handy.

Also, thank you for your kind words and feedback that Nancy and Omar were of great help as well as the rest of the staff, we will be sure to pass along your gratitude.

Once again, thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

First I made the reservation directly and was never asked (nor thought I needed to request) if I wanted smoking or non-smoking. Upon arrival I see we are booked in a smoking room - there were no other rooms to switch us to. We had two children who would be using the sofa pull-out. Upon opening the bed thin plastic saran-wrap type cover was more ripped than providing any coverage and the mattress was stained yellow circles beyond belief. Additionally there was no bedding to make the bed. So we called downstairs only to learn we had to request that - so sheets were brought up - with no blanket. I figured my children could have a coat on them assuming blankets are not available at this establishment and then went to take a shower. Turns out only 1 bar of soap is provided. You have to request shampoo and lotion - hence another trip by the downstairs receptionist - after waiting more than 10 minutes to get a hold of him on the phone and my husband going to the lobby only to find no one there (this was before 10pm) we finally get through and he brings up shampoo, lotion and now a blanket for my chilled children. Finally, I can take a hot shower! Well, there's no washcloths and, get this, the wall hair dryer doesn't work! Additionally there were only 2 plastic glasses, 1 coffee mug and a handful of plates, hardly enough I would think for someone staying in their King "suite" or whatever they call the king plus sofa pull-out. The screen had so many holes in it we didn't feel safe staying there. Lastly, we left (2) phone chargers and called the next day to see if they were found. The housekeeper that cleaned our room was off that morning so they would ask her/him later - but nothing was in the lost and found area. We all dubbed this "vacation" the worst experience ever and DEFINITELY would NOT recommend this hotel to ANYONE! Stay at your own risk! I should note the front desk person credited us $15 for our troubles.

Room Tip: Make sure to clarify if you want a smoking room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Heidi - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m so disheartened to learn that our level of cleanliness and customer service did not meet your standards. I am working with the staff to improve our cleaning procedures and customer service policies so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Please know, while we do not offer toiletries in our guest rooms, we do have an amenity basket available at the front desk for our guests to enjoy. Our goal is to ensure all guests have a clean and comfortable stay.

Once again, thanks for sharing your feedback. I do hope you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Having a kitchen in your room makes a stay so much easier. It is great value for money, reasonable standard, free parking (and a lot of it) - I would definitely stay here again. WiFi could be faster. It is a good location, easy access to freeways.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for your positive comments. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, especially the kitchen. As well, it is great to know that our hotel's location was ideal for your travels.

Corvallis, Montana
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for three nights last week, Nov. 7-9. First thing I will say is that the young ladies working at the front desk were polite and very nice and helpful. They were definitely the highlight of our stay.
I want you to know that this is the first negative review I have done on tripadvisor. I try to do only good reviews but this stay was the worst. The quality of the rooms were terrible. Hole in the door, stained carpets, filthy bathroom floors and on and on. I know this isn't a high-end hotel, but I've paid less for rooms that were at least clean. After one shower, the bath mat was stained brown from the filth on the floor. To top it off, the dresser by the bed was covered with whiskers from someone shaving in the mirror that had not even been cleaned off after the last people that stayed there. Filthy!!! I will never stay at an Extended Stay America ever again, anywhere.

Room Tip: I'll I can say is take a good look at your room before you pay!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I happy to read that our front desk staff provied great customer service during your stay. I sincerely apologize that your room was not thoroughly cleaned. To prevent this from happening again, my team and myself are being more productive in assuring all rooms are clean upon arrival .

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing this to my attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

First the entry keys were done incorrectly by the clerk who was busy talking in Spanish to a lady that came in after us. Next there was a minimal amount of toilet paper on the roll, and when that was gone (needed after a BM), there were no replacement rolls. Two of the lights were burned out and needed replacement. The dishes and silverware were incomplete and we had someone come over to bring them up to the proper level. There was no dishtowel.Where the tub/shower wall met the tub, there were open cracks in the joint..... have no idea how much water went where it shouldn't. At breakfast one day (half-hour before closing) two of the three coffees were missing, and the oatmeal choice was only one type, and we took the last two packs of those. The office had no one there to help us at one point, and they had a sign back on the back counter that said they were gone for 10 minutes.. We have stayed here before, but will never return!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank l s
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being thoroughly coached on customer services, cleanliness and to insure that all rooms are maintenance free.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at mvl@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.