“You get what you pay for...”

Harborview Inn and Suites
Ranked #247 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 31 December 2012

1st room did not have double beds as requested & was the size of a shoe box with a torn shower curtain. 2nd room was located adjacent to extensive renovations, including paint & carpet fumes. Attempted to check out after 2 nights of torture & was refused any refund for remaining 4 nights. 3rd room was further away from the renovations but subjected to an orgy that night & again next morning--despite complaining. Also found the quality of everything to be shoddy. Suspicious stains on the carpet, including a bright red one in 3rd room, paper thin & small bath towels, torn curtain linings, iffy cleaning, a ridiculous excuse for a continental breakfast, and the most incredibly small elevator (hard to fit 2 people & 2 suitcases). Staff was inefficient & unprofessional. Is close to Little Italy but should only be rented by the hour!

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side have significantly less noise than street side.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth M
sdharborview, Manager at Harborview Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

We are very sorry your stay was not what you expected. This hotel is a family owned & operated establishment, We listen to our guests and their reviews which is why we are still doing our best to upgrade and are in the process of renovating the last 4 rooms of this hotel. Again we apologize and understand that there isn't ever a good time to complete renovations. This hotel was built in the early 1900's and has a bed and breakfast feel, some of the rooms are small and we do our best to accommodate everyone but we do have a limited number of rooms to choose from and on New Years Eve we were booked. In regards to refunds if your room is booked through a third party we cannot refund you third party money. We are doing our best to make this hotel a great place to stay. Generally our guests are pretty quiet, but on New Years Eve the biggest party night of the year it is difficult to keep all of the guests quiet. Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Recently enjoyed a relaxing weekend in San Diego. Turned out I was pleasantly surprised at the welcome I encountered. The staff & accommodations went beyond my expectations. The hotel was very reasonable priced & well suited for family adventures in the San Diego area. Check them out

Room Tip: The location is typically "San Diego" C of C.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I had a great experience, rooms were comfortable and clean, staff was friendly, great location, great restaurants in the area, we ate at Little Italy and it was awesome. Great rates and I will definitly recommend a friend.

Room Tip: This hotel is a small independent hotel all the rooms seemed nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank elizabeth d
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I read a lot of the reviews and a lot of them were bad, but I was tremendously surprised with how clean and quiet the property was. I love the fact that it wasn't a chain hotel, it had an independent feel it was quaint. I was in town for the weekend because of a conference. The hotel was only about a mile and a half from the convention center, and I'm used to walking, so this is no problem for me; it also allowed me to experience the wonderful San Diego weather. The hotel was really close the airport which is convenient because although they didn't offer a shuttle, the price of the cab to go to the airport was really cheap about $10.
They offered a free breakfast every morning. Coffee and toast, With a little butter or jam they also have these little Eggo's which were good but I prefer the toast. The amount that they serve for breakfast was perfect for me because I usually eat light for my first meal of the day anyway. But I could see why a lot of people complain about the breakfast.
Lila who worked there at the front desk couldn't of been more helpful. She provided me with an iron and ironing board upon request And gave me plenty of suggestions for things to do while I'm in town. It just reminded me of an old world style inn where The people running the hotel really care about their guests and it's not just some employee with a name tag getting paid hourly to sit behind a desk.
On my last day at the hotel I met Andrew who also works at the front desk. He was such a such a funny guy made me laugh so hard. And he was really helpful in assisting me by calling a cab to take us to the airport. That guy deserves a raise!

Also Andrew recommended a great place to go for a italian food, since Harborview was in Little Italy, And there were tons of italian restaurants in the area, very nice part of town, very safe.

Go to Mona Lisa's they have delicious sandwiches in their deli area, and the best part it's right around the corner from The hotel.

- Max F

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank MaxFox86
Reviewed 23 September 2012

No parking space, small and dirty room and seems bed bugs live there!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
sdharborview, Director of Sales at Harborview Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

While we cannot please every traveler we do try our best. At this location it is downtown San Diego and we do have street parking available and we do provide free parking, however we only have a limited number of free spaces in our lot, so its first come first serve.
Our hotel rooms are cleaned after each use as compliant by any health standards. We do not have bed bugs. We use Dewey Pest Control and our hotel is maintained regularly. We simply do our best to provide our guest with a comfortable stay. Please accept our apologies for your unsatisfactory stay.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I do not know where to begin, this was the worst hotel/motel experience we have ever had. The room was dirty, DIRTY, dirty, there was supposed to be a kitchette, that was a joke. The refrigerator wasn't cold, the sink was filthy, & the floors were terrible! There was a 14inch or so step up to the toilette & the towels were full of holes. The windows didn't have locks & the door lock didn't work correctly. I am just hitting the highlights of how nasty this place was, take my word for it, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
sdharborview, Director of Sales at Harborview Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

We are very apologetic that your stay was less than satisfactory. This Hotel was built in the early 1900's and while we have renovated this hotel we do have a few rooms with kitchenette's that are the older rooms it sounds like you were in one of those rooms. Unfortunately with a hotel such as this we do occasionally have trouble with a lock or in room Fridge. We are undergoing training at this time with our staff to be better sensitive to our guest's needs such as simply replacing your fridge or towels upon request. We are still making changes and renovating at this location. In addition we are updating our breakfast with more choices. the pictures on our profile and on our website reflect the hotel. Please accept our apologies.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is one of the worst hotels we have stayed in. They need to improve or get out of business.

Not very friendly personnel, not very clean, and very noise.

Breakfast was a joke - - - we had an urgent package delivered to us - and stayed at the reception for several days - when we had already checked out we went back to the reception and asked for it - the: oh, yes.

Very strange