“Great pool, decent stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #92 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Traveled with family in the San Diego area. Had switched from the Marriott Courtyard Central at the identical AAA rate because the pictures of the pool looked so darn enticing.

The pool is exactly as billed and we had a terrific day. Compared with the Courtyard Central, the rooms are smaller (no balcony) and the hotel is bigger and busier. The cookies were abundant and amazing, but breakfast / wifi are not included.

Considering the rate was the same, we should have stayed at the Courtyard Central but still had a decent stay at the Doubletree Del Mar.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights (Fri-Mon) at the end of March with my 6 year old son. We got this hotel through Priceline for $50/night. The location is in a corporate center area, but we actually liked that it was in between SeaWorld and Legoland. We did not have any trouble finding the hotel. It is right off I-5. There is a Taco Bell and AM/PM gas station and store nearby. We did not have any trouble finding parking and parking was FREE. Check-in was quick and easy. I asked for a room with 2 beds and my request was accommodated. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot. We were also given freshly baked chocolate cookies at check-in.

The room itself was nice. I would say the room was average in size with 2 queen beds and a small desk. There was ample lighting. The bathroom was small and the sliding door was heavy and a bit hard to adjust. There was a large closet. There was also a flat screen TV. We liked the Neutrogena shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial wash, and daily moisturizer (UV protection).

The only complaint we had with our room was that at times a weird smell would come up from the kitchen vents through the space under our door. At times it smelled liked chocolate chip cookies, but other times, it smelled like there was a natural gas leak or eggs. Luckily, we were not placed near the elevators because the rooms by the elevators are louder and the vent from the kitchen is closer to those rooms. So, if you can, request a room away from the elevator.

The hotel seemed very busy with families and students on sports teams. We did not try the hotel restaurant. There was no complimentary breakfast. But, the hotel is down the street from a small mall and we headed to McDonald's for breakfast. The Del Mar McDonald's was different from any of the McDonald's we had ever seen. You could tell you were in an upscale neighborhood! They had extra menu items that they called bistro gourmet. We didn't try any of it, but we thought it was quite interesting! We also ate at Red Robin one night and bought some grocery items from Ralph's.

My son and husband enjoyed the swimming pool one afternoon. They said it was heated. We enjoyed the location because it was in between the attractions we were visiting. My son would also ask for a cookie after we returned from a long day at the theme parks. We would definitely stay here again.

On another note, my parents and my sister with her family also stayed here because they won this same hotel through Priceline for $48/night. They only needed to stay for one night. They were assigned a room with only one queen bed and a sofa bed. Their rooms were smaller, but they said it was perfectly fine for the one night. They were allowed to check-in at 9am which they appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We travel a lot -- worldwide. Have never encountered anything like this and we generally like where we stay hotel wise.

We booked a multi-night stay through Hotels.com that included breakfast. I had the print out of the reservation stating that the rate included the breakfast buffet. It's not a hotel I would have chosen without it, as it's in an industrial park and a bit of a drive from the sites we wanted to get to in La Jolla and MB. They had a decent rate and it looked ok, so we thought we'd try it.

The front desk clerk and the manager of the hotel refused to honor the rate because "it was too low of a rate for them to do it." ?!? They were rude and uncooperative. Phoned Hotels.com to enforce the rate. They called and were unable to get the mgt. to cooperate. Haggled with them for 2 days and then called Hilton Honors. Someone up the food chain finally slapped them up side the head and got them to comp the breakfasts we were entitled to. BTW, couldn't ck out because we had paid in advance and it was non-refundable. They really had us.

Hilton Honors and Hilton Mgt. was superb in their customer service and communication. Will stay at the Embassy Suites in La Jolla or another chain in Del Mar before coming back here -- better location, better breakfast, nicer rooms and better service for about the same price. Ridiculous that I should have to spend one minute of my vacation with rude staff who are intentionally breaching a contract because they're too cheap to honor it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank racine
Reviewed 18 March 2010

As my business in San Diego was in North County, the Doubletree Hotel San Diego/Del Mar made for a very convenient location, and turned out to be a very satisfying stay. Room, bath were comfortable, with a nice pool view. I enjoyed sitting out on the terrace, nibbling on some delicious and reasonably priced snacks. The pool and garden setting is landscaped lovely, and makes for a nice respite. While the hotel lacks self-service laundry, the helpful staff was able to advise me of nearby venue, plus Radio Shack, local restaurants and a Supercuts. This was my second visit, and I will gladly return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree in early Feb 2010. The hotel itself is beautiful, but expensive. The rooms, landscaping, and personnel were all very nice. There is a small resturaunt that serves wonderful food, but the hotel is within walking distance to a mall with a bunch of other restuaunts.

Let me start off by saying that I have never had to change hotel rooms during any hotel stay. My huge gripe was regarding my room. I checked in around 9PM and was placed on the 2nd floor near the elevators. The floor to the room vibrated as if there was some sort of ceiling fan on the floor below. I was extremely loud, frequent, but sporatic. By 10:30 PM I couldn't take it any longer and told them then while I was already unpacked for tonight that 1st thing in the morning I would need to change rooms.

When I went down the next day to change rooms there was a list of people who called and complained about the noise because the front desk person referred to a list taped to the phone. My new room was still on the 2nd floor. The vibrating noise was not as loud and the floor did not physically move, but I could still hear the noise.

Later that day, I saw they had placed another customer into the room I vacated earlier. I couldn't believe that someone else would have to endure that noise/vibration so I voiced my concern to the new front desk person. She said that they knew about the issue and it was a problem with the elevators and they were considering converting the rooms into conference rooms. I told her that they should fix the problem and NOT place people paying good money into those problematic rooms. She just shrugged her shoulders.

I could not believe that no one from the corporate Hilton office is aware of this issue! This speaks very poorly for Hilton quality and I strongly feel if they were aware of the situation, it would be resolved. I placed a complaint with Hilton and am awaiting a call from the site manager.

So while the hotel was nice, until they resolve the 2nd floor elevator/room issue, I would not recommend this hotel unless you can obtain a room on an upper floor.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

This is a little gem of a hotel, only a mile or two from Del Mar beach. When first approaching we were a little discouraged that it was in a corporate office area right off of the highway. But once you step inside, you are warmly greeted with a chocolate chip cookies which makes everything better! :-)

The rooms are decorated very nice! We had a view of the pool which was also pleasant (and not noisy). The rooms are stocked with Neutrogena cosmetics (including sunscreen!), and there is a Wolfgang Puck coffee machine which is nice.

There is a really nice pool that is quite relaxing too.

We booked on Priceline and paid $52 - bargain! For breakfast we simply drove to the beach for coffee and bagels because the breakfast prices at the hotel were a bit cha-ching.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We recently stayed two nights at the Doubletree Del Mar booked through Expedia. When we arrived we were promptly greeted. Without asking, we were upgraded to the Horton Suite, in the southwest corner of the building, top floor. (5th floor) (IMO the nicest suite in the Hotel) For $145 a night, this suite was the size of two standard rooms with two large flat screen tv's, two phones, and a king size bed that was excellent to sleep on with extra pillows. The room was bright with great views to the south and west (ocean), a great view of the pool area, quiet, and more than spacious. The HVAC had two separate controls that promptly heated and cooled the space while not being too loud. Our stay included the breakfast buffet for two which was great . . . . It had all the things I would expect for a hearty breakfast as well as low fat and/or vegetarian options, if preferred. We may not get the same room again, but I would definately consider staying at the Doubletree Del Mar again if in the area. What a great value for the money.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
#113 of 278 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!