“Ideal location and value for Fisherman's Landing acesss”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #36 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The tag line for this place should be " we try harder" they really try to think of everything, and make up for the lack of slick amenities. If you are on business this is probably not your best choice, but for leisure it's just right for the "No chain Hotel" minded people. The rooms are spartan, but very clean, a little too white for my taste. ( See our photos) Small rooms, TV tucked into a corner, bath small as well. The type of place with the in wall A/C units. Beds were in good shape, Quiet, we slept well. No phones, the "wake up call" is a buzzer they give you. At 7:00 am the water in the shower was luke warm, but it improved. They offer to guests laptop use, iron & board,hair dryers, maps, print boarding pass etc. The continental breakfast is industrial, with bananas. Small patio with newspapers included. The place has it's charm and is a lot less cost than the surrounding places, so for a couple days it's fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelbug1155
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

You tell it the way it is for our future guests
And you are right! We do try because we are just a motel
Nothing fancy, just rooms and basics
Unfortunately, sometimes there are guests who expect and compare us with 4/5-star luxury resorts .(But aren't paying the resort price). It breaks my heart to compare us that way
Once again, we thank you for giving us a chance

There are newer reviews for Dolphin Motel

Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

This was our first time in San Diego so we knew we wouldn't spend much time in a hotel room so we decided on the dolphin after the great reviews on here. The location was ok but there isn't much in the immediate proximity and we had to drive/get a taxi to get any decent food or a drink. next time I'd stay nearer downtown or the beaches...
Checking in was nice and easy and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Free parking was very good as was the free wifi. Snack breakfast a nice extra bonus.
Our room was VERY small which became difficult after a couple of days- especially with our luggage from a month holiday... The air conditioning unit was too noisy to use. The motel was spotlessly clean.
On the whole a clean pleasant motel that fit the purpose perfectly- a base for us in San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MissRebeccaThompson
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Hi Miss Rebecca, thank you for all the nice things you said about our motel.
I am sorry you were not aware of the many wonderful eating places within 10-15 minutes of our motel.
Some restaurants actually are 10-15 minutes away by foot!
I appreciate your mentioning that our rooms are "very small" because I do not want this to be a surprise to my good future guests as it may have been to you good people.
I wonder if you read past reviews of our motel?
Most mention the small rooms in the same breath as clean and inexpensive.
I am sorry we rated just a "3"
I expect/hope you will return since you wrote "a clean pleasant motel, etc."
We would love to have you back, we can always do better

Best Regards
Alan Murdock - Owner

Say hello to John!

Reviewed 3 August 2012

It's been years since we've stayed in a "motel". Based on all the reviews we decided to give it a try. Keep in mind this is a 50s-60s motel with blue neon lights lining the edge of the roof. This place exceeded our expectations. Yes, the rooms are small, but they were immaculate, bed was very comfortable, breakfast was fresh fruit, yogurt, a muffin, oj, coffee or tea and newspapers on the tables (outside...it was San Diego after all) for guest to read. The service was exceptional, friendly, very very helpful. There were 2 folding suitcase stands in the room, the small bathroom had baskets on the wall in which we could put our toiletries. The location was terrific with places to walk and eat....The staff printed out directions to a wedding we were attending. They will weigh your luggage, provide a free bottle of water, print your boarding passes...Good grief, the only negative (but not really) was the small room. I'm rating the Dolphin Motel a "5"....Not to be compared with the Hilton or Hyatt....but I bet NOBODY tries harder to accommodate their customers the these folks.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room in the main building looking toward the marina.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anniejet

Thank you so much guys for giving us a chance
I'm so glad you found our basic accommodations... accommodating!
We hope you come back to our little motel in the future

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We try to find new and different places to stay in areas we have visited before. The Dolphin Motel was exactly as advertised. Great location across from the marina, quiet, nice continental breakfast, super clean room and a wonderfully helpful staff. Sure, the rooms are small but who needs square footage when all you really need is clean and comfortable. We are going back in September and will stay again whenever we visit San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobk999
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you so much PromoAZ for choosing to stay with us and also writing this wonderful review.
I am so glad to hear that despite our small rooms, you guys judged us based on what we really matters: price and accommodations. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your room accommodations and the beautiful views. Also, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our modest breakfast and what San Diego has to offer. I do hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

My family always stays in bigger and more luxurious hotels when we vacationed to California in the past. Since our big vacation was in April we wanted to get away again this summer and couldn't afford the big hotel in San Diego. I searched for 2 days for the lowest price and best value. Based on price and positive reviews we chose the dolphin motel. The biggest positives were 1) great price 2) great location 3) awesome customer service 4) free breakfast 5) free parking. Honestly I didn't have any negatives but the rooms are on the small side so be sure to get the correct room size if you have more people traveling. If you need a place to crash after a long day, this motel does it. On a final note, I appreciated how one of the owners took the time to tell us about balboa park when we were leaving. Customer service is top notch and our family truly enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 1 August 2012

What a wonderful experience we had at the Dolphin Motel. Yes, it is simple and older but so clean and such wonderful staff. Nice breakfast with newspapers, clean white rooms and spotless bathrooms. We were given discount tickets to places we wanted to see, bottles of water, great maps and terrific restaurant suggestions. It is so perfectly located. Right in the middle of all tourist destinations and in a safe neighborhood. If you just use your hotel room as a base and don't mind older style hotels, this place is spot on. . . . especially for the price. We love "Mom and Pop" establishments so this was right up our alley. We'll be going back to the Dolphin next time we head to San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor facing Scott St. You can see the boats right across the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bmsj4

Thank you for your recent review bmsj4. I am so happy to hear that you had a fun and relaxing vacation. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our small yet clean rooms and the property clean and comfortable. I am overjoyed to learn how friendly and accommodating the staff was during your. Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review and recommending our hotel to our future guests. I do hope you visit us again on your next trip to San Diego!

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I don't need a fancy hotel room. When i go on vacation, I go to the place I'm visiting not the hotel so when I saw the rates for the Dolphin Motel and the reviews, I figured, why not? The reviews are pretty spot on in that the rooms are small but they are very clean. The desk staff was helpful with directions and overall just really nice. If I make it back to San Diego, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the second level have outside seating with lovely views.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amber B

Hello amberboone!
Thank you sooooo much for this generous review. The picture of the area looks great! Right across the street from Fisherman's Landing. Lots of fishing going on this summer. And seafood - fish market