“Nice Motel with good price”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #45 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This place is well located in a nice area near the marina and not far by car from the old town and sea world. The staff and the owners are very friendly and welcoming.

The property itself is dated from the outside and little bit in the inside. we were couple with 2 kids and the room was bit small for as but the balcony of our room is nice and great spot to have the small breakfast.

In terms of value for money this place is definitely a great place to stay

Room Tip: Room 28 have balcony facing the marina - nice spot to sit and relax.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Itay D
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We appreciate you sharing our motel to fellow tripadvisor readers, many of whom will be looking for a budget-friendly location in San Diego for their upcoming vacation/business stay.
We get very busy during the summer season & urge all our guests to book way in advance (2+ months in advance for best availability).
You have chosen wisely to make use of our Room #28, the upstairs with 2 Beds & a little balcony that overlooks the harbor across the street. We apologize if it is a bit small, it is our biggest room that can accommodate 2 adults & 2 kids.
Once again, thank you guys for considering our motel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visiting USA from Australia in May- June we chose The Dolphin for the last 4 nights of our trip June 21st to June 25th and had a great stay.

Rooms were small but clean and TV is locked at low volume which would be essential for late night noise issues.

This motel is what it is and depicted well in the sites photos, if you are looking for any type of luxuries then you will need to stay elsewhere and pay more, It is a clean room comfortable bed with small but adequate breakfast included and friendly owners and staff who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

There are plenty of places to eat within a short walking distance ranging from cheap to medium priced,easy drive anywhere from this location with plenty of onsite parking,a very short walk to the main st Rosecrance (sp) for public transport into town with Old Town San Diego being quite close.

This Motel is in a very nice location next to fisherman's landing jetty and it can be almost "Sleepy" at times when you drive around the streets and is very quiet during the night and day even weekends but still busy with people quietly going about their business.

It has no in room coffee maker and coffee/tea was only really available at breakfast but reception will provide you with bottle water each day free of charge.

Power points were not that many in the room so you will need a power board if you want to charge all your hi tech stuff at once.

We would not hesitate to stay again as its great value for the price but readers of the reviews must realise this is an older style motel and not a modern Hotel with all the amenities.

This motel suited both us and our needs and given we were travelling in USA for over a month the price was great too.

The only one small criticism I have is that on the first day something was dropped on the clean white bed sheet that left a red stain in a few places,i think it may have been some candy that fell from a bag or pocket on arrival. These stains remained on the sheets until we left?
I am quite happy to use the same sheets in any motel or even hotel for the duration of my stay but I thought the cleaning staff should have perhaps changed the sheets in this instance as the stains were visible even after the bed was made up for 4 nights!

All in all we had a very pleasant enjoyable stay at Dolphin and San Diego and would not hesitate to stay again or recommend this motel to others.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms facing the Jetty and marina are well worth the little extra cost
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Your review is detailed & to the point. Future readers of tripadvisor would take this review seriously when considering our motel. Sorry about the red stain, We really really try our best for cleanliness & our housekeepers may not thoroughly inspect the sheets. Do not hesitate to inform our 24-hr staff or housekeeper if you would like the sheets changed anytime; at any hotel/motel, it is customer satisfaction! Thanks again for setting straight the point we are located in a quiet street area as noise & quiet a concern for many many noise sensitive guests. One time I remember we had some young college guests who wanted "a quiet room to sleep", then used it to party, thus causing noise for others! Very funny situation.
You are correct, our T.V's do have volume limiter, which is good for the peace & quiet, yet we do occasionally get complaints from guests who are hard of hearing, and want it to be very loud. Hope you guys will visit San Diego in the future & consider our motel as an affordable budget alternative.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My daughter and I came to San Diego to attend a retirement ceremony,We don't know our way around SD but we knew we needed a room close to Rosecrans and Roosevelt streets. I had a list of hotels in the area and discovered the Dolphin while I was reading hotel reviews. I liked what I read and booked a room for possibly 2 nights. I was informed that I could cancel within 48 hours with no charge. As it turned out I did need to cancel the Friday booking.No problem. The staff could not be nicer, There was a feeling that each person we had contact with was an owner, they were all that cordial. The room was small,very white and very clean. Be aware the beds are quite firm.
Breakfast on the patio was just right. The price was great. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 123shells
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you kind guest for giving our motel a try.
You are very generous to offer information about us on tripadvisor.
As a budget motel, we hope our future guests will take that into consideration, as luxury is not our forte.
Yes, we recommend Point Loma Seafoods across the street to all our guests, they would order a Fish Sandwich (which in my opinion needs some hot sauce! It does taste rather bland).
The locals also order some filet from the "Fish Market" to cook dinner, caught off the oceans here.
Once again, we thank you for writing about us & hope you will consider our motel next time in San Diego.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed four nights at the Dolphin and loved it. Yes, the rooms are small.. but very clean. and as we were sightseeing, we weren't in the room except to sleep. The continental breakfast was adequate .The motel is well situated ..close to several good restaurants within walking distance . What sets this hotel apart is #1 the cost and #2 ..the staff. Everyone we dealt with was very helpful..especially Thomas. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LAO8
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

All of our staff are so happy to read your 5-star review!
It is like the a fresh drop of rain after a long drought of 4-stars,
(although not bad per se) we sincerely try to make all our guests feel we have given them our sincere best!
Our staff share in the owner's vision of superior friendliness in a family motel environment, and doing everything in our ability to ensure our guests feel it was worth the money they paid.
I do not speak for myself of course, I am very sure all hotels/motels strive for customer excellence: be it a 5-star Ritz Carlton, or a quiet motel in the middle of nowhere.
Personally, you guys have made our day by posting this review.
You are truly wonderful generous friends of the Dolphin Motel!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our group had two rooms on the upper level bay view. We had a little balcony connected to our room which was nice. The rooms were very clean. They are small but I knew that ahead of time. We didn't spend much time in our room, just to clean up and sleep. Very close to the bus stop which we took into old town and from there took the trolleys. There are a couple seafood restaurants within walking distance and a pizza place,and Jack in the Box and McDonalds, and a liquor/convenience store all within walking distance. Definitely worth the price. It is a budget motel so if you want more than that it won't be for you. The owners/staff are very nice and helpful! Will definitely come back, when visiting this area of San Diego.

Room Tip: Get a bay view. #34 and #36 had a bay view and a balcony......you shared. So if you needed two roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 96penny

Our hard-working owners Alan & Holly, as well as our staff, thank you guys for sharing your recent stay on tripadvisor. It will give future guests an idea what to expect from our motel.
We always appreciate positive feedback from our good guests.
Our single family-owned motel will live or die by our guest's word of recommendation: be it excellent, good, or poor.
When you guys bring family to stay at our motel, we recognize & deeply appreciate the potential for future returns customers to sunny San Diego.
As a budget-friendly motel, we encourage all our future guest to read the reviews provided on tripadvisor, and decide for themselves if we are the right fit.
Once again, thank you guys for finding our motel.
We would like to make your stay "of 5-star excellence" next time!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I liked the breakfast of blueberry and chocolate chip muffins, bananas, yogurt, orange juice and milk in the little courtyard, but the coffee tasted a bit stale, since they make a few filter-fulls in the evening for the next day, but they're uncovered so the air gets to it. The manager (wish I knew his name, what a sweetie) told me I could have whatever I want from the fridge at any time, and I told him since the sign said it was closed, I follow the rules. There's no DND or Service sign, and I didn't tell the cleaning people I needed it (i use my own towels) but I came back after a long day to find new towels, but nothing else done, as my laptop was on the bed. Even though they don't want to be responsible for moving my laptop, I still felt slightly violated by the Asian cleaners who barely spoke English, but I got over it. The rooms are a bit institutional, and not as clean as a white room could be. The shower stall was a bit moldy, with poor lighting in the bathroom. Other than a few drunken guys slamming the doors, (bring earplugs, they kind of help here) loud tv's into the night with paper-thin walls and ceilings (heard the cleaning people for a while), I had a pleasant stay. For the area, the price can't be beat, and I'd definitely stay there again when I'm in town. I'd just choose a different room, or check it out before I pay. I thought Steve at the front desk was rather cute, too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hi Kimberly,

Yes, I remember you, and Steve does too. Nice of you to take the time for your review. Regarding our coffee (which is kept in a sealed locker) I am sorry you found it a bit stale. In 38 years - Yours is the first negative freshness comment about our coffee. At the morning breakfast we have to make a fresh pot about every 15-20 min. Never a complaint, not even from our Starbucks diehards?! Regarding your room service, you may have not noticed your trash was emptied and your carpet vacuumed. It is true, if personal items are left on the bed - like your computer - we respect that and leave the bed alone. I am sorry you felt violated, but the asian lady you spoke of has been here 1 year longer than dad and I have owned the motel (39 years). She is very trustworthy and responsible (she speaks fluent english, better than myself?!) You were in #24, so when I read your review, I ran to the shower there and told our maintenance man to touch up where needed. Thank you for the heads up on that, we try to catch everything. Sorry for the unwanted noise while you were in the room. Its unfortunate, but just a fact of life at small and even large hotel/motels. Most people expect/understand they will hear miscellaneous sounds - their neighbors, doors closing, maids working, etc. (Especially during the day). My desk clerk remembered when you complained about the Guest next door checking in at 1pm closing his door loudly. Sorry about that at least it wasnt at night. I am glad you said you had a pleasant stay and that the price cant be beat. Glad to hear that you would return, we would love to have you back.

With our best regards,

Steve, {Alan and Holly(owners)}

P.S. Hope things are well in South Carolina

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Dolphin Motel is simply perfect. My girlfriend and I had a getaway here a few weeks ago and we were very impressed by not only the great price but the value you get! We booked in advance and got a harbor view with under 75$ ! The rooms are simple, clean, comfortable beds. The free breakfast had delicious muffins (bomb blueberry ones), fresh coffee, and yogurts. Tv was good, watched the gladiator good quality + good channels. Kinda cool they have quiet hours, so it was very peaceful there in the morning and at night. The rooms are non smoking however they have a chill smoking area right near the front desk. Great places to eat walking distance, excellent recommendations from the hotel staff. Free water, and caned sodas for guests 24 hours. The location was great and they have free safe parking + we walked along the harbor at sunset and everything was located near by that we wanted to see. I definitely recommend this as the best place to stay in San Diego. Do off with the overpriced luxury and brand for nothing hotels, DOLPHIN MOTEL IS THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK! :)

Room Tip: The room we stayed in upstairs was great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Everythinginit
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you Everythinginit for choosing this motel during your recent trip down south here. We get alot of nice folks just like yourself that are in search of an inexpensive place when visiting San Diego
For the last 38 years, our hard working owners Alan & Holly have been dedicated to providing budget minded travelers a reasonable place to stay, be it business or vacation
Their hard work gives testament to the continued survival of the business, even in these economic times.
What is most important is our wonderful guests (and repeat guests), who found us in their search for reasonable pricing