Dolphin Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Hotel Aqua Mar(San Diego)
View Hotel
Hotel Point Loma(San Diego)
1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallyogurtsport fishingpoint lomamitch's seafoodfree wifishelter islandcontinental breakfastflat screen tvevery morningplace to sleepcomic conair conditionershort driveold townmini fridgebalboa park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I have mixed feelings about this motel. I have to say that after reading the reviews I had higher expectations for the hotel than what I ended up experiencing. There were many people to assist us when we arrived, and they were all very friendly and made sure to take steps to make us happy; however, I honestly feel that the room itself could be improved a bit. Probably one reason that they can charge so little is that they have not made as many efforts as they could to renovate the rooms. The shower was pretty nice, but the bathroom was very small- I guess I don't see how they could do much to change that. I was able to sleep pretty well on the bed, but the mattress pad or something made it feel kind of "papery," if that is a word. The room was not impeccably clean as some of the reviews have said- I found random hairs scattered around the room in the corners, on the ledges, etc. I have been to similarly priced motels where the room was cleaner upon arrival. I feel that this is something that can be controlled while still charging a nice affordable price, and I would also recommend some renovations in the near future- especially the carpeting. The carpeting was very worn, & didn't quite go all the way to the wall (kind of curled up on the edges). It is kind of a pleasant little hotel/nice location, but I have to agree with the review that someone previously wrote- "You get what you pay for." "Average" is not "bad"- it is "average," and that is how I am rating this hotel. Based on what I look for in a hotel, I would not recommend this motel to my friends, unless I knew that they were not very picky.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheHappiestWanderer
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

Hello. Dad and I remember you good folks when you stayed downstairs near the breakfast area. Sorry we did not meet your expectations. True, the rooms are not large or fancy, but as most reviews have stated, neat and clean. I'm sorry your room was the exception. According to the notations on your stay, there was a hair in the shower, our housekeepers are real good but dropped the ball this time.It's not unusual for the hair to be the housekeeper's after exiting the area she cleaned. But that's no excuse. She's been with us 34 years. Wish we could hit a home run every time! Regarding room charge of $65 for 2 people on a Friday night in August (high season) in a resort town. Please call me if you felt the rate unreasonable. I'm sure we can come to a fair agreement.
Dad and I look forward to making every guests stay a pleasant one. We will take to heart your criticisms and hope you will try us again. Ask for Alan or Steve and mention your review.

Best Regards,
Dad, Alan, and Steve

Reviewed 3 September 2010

I loved the Dolphin. You cannot beat this price with the location. Minutes from everything - beaches, downtown, eating airport, etc. The staff is first rate and were so accommodating. They even fed you breakfast. My favorite was enjoying the great weather and relaxed atmosphere in the morning whilst drinking coffee, eating muffins and browsing the internet (free wi-fi) and planning my day. That's what vacations are about. No hassles and this place was trouble-free. It's not fancy but for as much as you hang out at your hotel/motel while on vacation, it had all your needs met as well as a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2010

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to you staying with us in the future. Hope your Phillies hang on and make it to the playoffs.

Regards,
Alan, Holly and Steve

Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed here for one night as we were going to concert

Pros: The staff were very friendly
Breakfast/parking is free
Inexpensive

Cons: The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything in the rooms next door
Very cramped, small rooms.
Rooms do not feel safe or secure enough

My partner also cut himself with something on the bed. There was about 30 mins of slight panic whilst we tried to find the offending item. It turned out to be the pillow zip. We were not happy.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArtiCT01
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2010

Sorry about your injury with the pillow zipper. We would have given assistance had we known. Band-aid, new pillow, etc. Never had this happen before.

We regret you did not tell us of your security concerns. We would have pointed out that we are located in a very nice neighborhood, staff on duty 24 hours, and an excellent security system. In fact many of our long time regular guests are single business women looking for a clean, safe, and inexpensive room, and yes small room, small price.

We appreciate your frank review and would like the chance to serve you again. Ask for Alan(owner). I'll make it right.

Regards,
Alan and Holly

Reviewed 31 August 2010

This motel was close to where we wanted to be and was very clean. What makes the Dolphin Motel stand out is the warmness and professionalism of the staff. They accommated our every request without hesitation. We had a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed with family - used 2 rooms; have no comlplaints for the amount we paid. The free car parking and breakfast were a bonus. Most helpful prior to our arrival re the booking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family