Dolphin Motel
US$455
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$337
US$330
  • Pool
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$204
BestWestern.com
US$699
US$676
Hotels.com
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$245
US$172
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$350
US$325
Hotelpower.com
1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallyogurtsport fishingpoint lomamitch's seafoodfree wifishelter islandcontinental breakfastflat screen tvevery morningplace to sleepcomic conair conditionershort driveold townmini fridgebalboa park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We were touring on motorbikes and spent 3 nights here. We had a wonderful time everyone was friendly and helpful giving us information on bus stops and places to visit. We found it amusing having the breakfast area outside, as coming from the UK this would never be an option. We made use of the balcony outside our friends room for afternoon nibbles and wine, which we bought locally and cheaply. The buses were very easy to use and a fraction of the tour trolley bus price. We bought a 2 day pass from the Tourist info for $9 each for unlimited travel on all buses and trams. we went to the Zoo and Old Town also the harbour area well worth the money. The rooms were smaller than we had experienced in other areas but we only used them to sleep in and we slept reasonably well. Dad was concerned that a group of lads had disturbed our sleep and appologised he also had his own way of dealing with them. We were lucky to see the fishing boats come in early one morning so we wandered over to the harbour and watched the weigh in of Tuna and other weird and wonderful fish a great experience. We wished we could have stayed longer and when we arrived at our next destination really did wish we had. Thanks to all staff and family we met whilst at your establishment.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2010

Hi U.K. My dad remembers you good folks and says " Hi " It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Glad you were able to see the fishermen unloading their catch--Did you also see it from your balcony ? Hope things are well for you in the U.K.--and thanks for the nice review, hope to see you again---Best regards Alan and Dad.

Reviewed 16 September 2010

We stayed in room 32 for 8 nights. We felt very comfortable and safe because management & all staff are so friendly and helpful, on duty 24 hours.
Room and bathroom are small, the walls thin, but clean, with big refrigerator, flat screen TV, free WiFi and in the morning free coffee & muffins.
Thank you for a very pleasant stay in a convenient location.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I am an avid TripAdvisor follower but I also realize that reviews can be pushed to look better than they really are. I was all set to only stay at the Dolphin one night with my brother and jump to the Half Moon or Holiday Inn. I was nervous because the reviews seemed too good to be true and the last thing I wanted was a creepy motel. But based on my fellow TripAdvisor reviewers I made a reservation for five nights at the Dolphin.

We arrived late and our room was ready for us. Yes it was small but VERY clean. The bedding was all white, the AC worked well (take off the energy conserved button and the AC won't turn on and off all night) bathroom was small, clean and great water pressure and shower heads!! We were pretty impressed that this only costed us 70.00 a night.

In the morning we walked out to the charming patio area where my brother poured a big cup of coffee, grabbed a banana and a yogurt and starting working from his computer using the free WiFi. I grabbed one of the two papers supplied in the breakfast area, took a big sigh of relief that the Dolphin was both relaxing, quiet and cheap. Steve from the front office came out every morning and poured me a cup of iced tea ....yes, he walked out and served me.....we met Holly, the owner, who greeted us by name every morning and asked if we needed directions or suggestions for where to eat or where to visit.

We started in room 25 (main level)which had a twin for me and a full for my brother and Holly moved us after a few days to room 28 (second level) which has it's own patio and a full and a queen bed and a large window, (which 25 did not have) plus it's a corner room so I assume less noise though we really never heard any noise as we ran the AC all night. The bathrooms had soap in them but no shampoo though there are many places, including the front office, where shampoo can be bought. We asked Lin, who has cleaned rooms here at the Dolphin for over 30 years if she could give us a few towels to take to the beach. Lin delivered them ASAP and then asked everyday if we needed more. Rooms had refrigerators and a flat screen TV.

The management here at the Dolphin is around 24 hours a day, parking is free and a quiet atphosphere is stressed. In the five night we were there we were NEVER bothered by noise. We slept great every night. My brother and I hated to leave as we did feel like family at the end. Save yourself 50-100 dollars a night and stay at the Dolphin. We will be back. Don't forget to weigh yourself on the scales in the office....

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank GreyhoundJean
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

We are glad everything, including the room and other accommodations met with your approval. It's gratifying to us that you used the word "family" in your review. We enjoyed your company. It was kind of you to take the time for this review and we are glad you saved a bunch of money staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again soon, Steve will have the iced tea ready for you.

Best regards,
Alan, Holly, and Steve

Reviewed 7 September 2010

I have mixed feelings about this motel. I have to say that after reading the reviews I had higher expectations for the hotel than what I ended up experiencing. There were many people to assist us when we arrived, and they were all very friendly and made sure to take steps to make us happy; however, I honestly feel that the room itself could be improved a bit. Probably one reason that they can charge so little is that they have not made as many efforts as they could to renovate the rooms. The shower was pretty nice, but the bathroom was very small- I guess I don't see how they could do much to change that. I was able to sleep pretty well on the bed, but the mattress pad or something made it feel kind of "papery," if that is a word. The room was not impeccably clean as some of the reviews have said- I found random hairs scattered around the room in the corners, on the ledges, etc. I have been to similarly priced motels where the room was cleaner upon arrival. I feel that this is something that can be controlled while still charging a nice affordable price, and I would also recommend some renovations in the near future- especially the carpeting. The carpeting was very worn, & didn't quite go all the way to the wall (kind of curled up on the edges). It is kind of a pleasant little hotel/nice location, but I have to agree with the review that someone previously wrote- "You get what you pay for." "Average" is not "bad"- it is "average," and that is how I am rating this hotel. Based on what I look for in a hotel, I would not recommend this motel to my friends, unless I knew that they were not very picky.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheHappiestWanderer

Hello. Dad and I remember you good folks when you stayed downstairs near the breakfast area. Sorry we did not meet your expectations. True, the rooms are not large or fancy, but as most reviews have stated, neat and clean. I'm sorry your room was the exception. According to the notations on your stay, there was a hair in the shower, our housekeepers are real good but dropped the ball this time.It's not unusual for the hair to be the housekeeper's after exiting the area she cleaned. But that's no excuse. She's been with us 34 years. Wish we could hit a home run every time! Regarding room charge of $65 for 2 people on a Friday night in August (high season) in a resort town. Please call me if you felt the rate unreasonable. I'm sure we can come to a fair agreement.
Dad and I look forward to making every guests stay a pleasant one. We will take to heart your criticisms and hope you will try us again. Ask for Alan or Steve and mention your review.

Best Regards,
Dad, Alan, and Steve

Reviewed 3 September 2010

I loved the Dolphin. You cannot beat this price with the location. Minutes from everything - beaches, downtown, eating airport, etc. The staff is first rate and were so accommodating. They even fed you breakfast. My favorite was enjoying the great weather and relaxed atmosphere in the morning whilst drinking coffee, eating muffins and browsing the internet (free wi-fi) and planning my day. That's what vacations are about. No hassles and this place was trouble-free. It's not fancy but for as much as you hang out at your hotel/motel while on vacation, it had all your needs met as well as a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2010

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to you staying with us in the future. Hope your Phillies hang on and make it to the playoffs.

Regards,