“A nice place to stay for a night”
Review of Beach Haven

Beach Haven
Ranked #136 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Beach Haven is a nice place but the name shouldn't have beach in it - no beach view though it WAS quite close to the beach. Very clean and well appointed, the only issue we had was the lack of Wifi in room 106 which was a minor thing.

A kettle would also be good!

Didn't spoil the stay at San Diego - its a beautiful city to visit!

Room Tip: If you want wifi. don't get Room 106
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 October 2013

our stay at the Beach Haven Inn was very pleasant - located one block from a great beach -restaurants and bars- even if you didn't have a car you could ride a rental bike. The rooms have been updated and the beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was old but clean and it functioned. would recommend it

Room Tip: if you want good location and value - STAY HERE
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 305Rambo224
HotelsManagementTeam, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Beach Haven Inn. We’re pleased you had a pleasant stay in the renovated room or suite you occupied and the beds were comfortable. As you allude to in your comments the location of the property is outstanding. The staff and myself hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My sister and I recently spent 5 nights at Beach Haven Inn. The hotel has a great location and a friendly staff but the rooms are a little sketchy. The first room they put us in had a toilet that didn't work and a "vanity" that consisted of a sink with plywood around the bottom of it. We moved to another room with a working toilet and a real vanity but the bathroom left something to be desired. There were gouges in the walls, the wallpaper was hung haphazardly, the sink faucet was very corroded, the toilet lid and seat old and the molding around the floor was dirty. The bedroom, except for the carpet, was nice and the beds were comfortable. There was a round convex mirror hung above each bed but we couldn't figure out their purpose. They were too high to use as mirrors and their shape distorted your image. There was a kitchen, which we would use for $10.00 per night. We elected not to use it but they gave it to use free of charge after we mentioned that our room hadn't been cleaned one day. The kitchen had nice tile floors, new cabinets and new appliances; however it appeared that the walls hadn't been painted when it was remodeled. Our main impression was that they tried to remodel but didn't complete the job. It's a shame because the people were nice and the location great, but we'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thanks for the taking the time to provide valuable feedback for us. The staff and myself are disappointed you weren’t satisfied with your room. The bathrooms in the rooms you occupied are scheduled for renovation. Thank you for the feedback and if you would provide us with the opportunity to accommodate you in the future it would be our pleasure to have you back.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Beach Haven Inn to round up our roadtrip and we both enjoyed our stay a great day. Granted, the inn is not a 5-star uber-fancy, and thus 'generic' place, but it's got its unique charm. Apart from its convenient location and fair rates, it is very clean. All of our towels were changed every day even though we hadn't put them on the floor. Our suite was spacious and our kitchenette was also fully stocked. Once again, everything was clean. Moreover, the staff was competent, helpful and even jovial. Since we were unfamiliar with the immediate neighborhood, we asked the staff for recommendations regarding breakfast, dinner, etc. ALL of their suggestions panned out (e.g. Kono's down at the Crystal Pier, or Cafe 976 on Felspar St.)
All in all, we were very satisfied and should we ever be in the San Diego area again, we'll make sure to secure a room at the Beach Haven Inn.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank captjohnson17

Dear guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the property. The staff and myself are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the property clean, a good value for your money, and a desirable location. The rooms with kitchens include silverware, limited pots and pans, a microwave, stove top (some rooms have ovens as well), a refrigerator, and a dining table and chairs.
There are many quality restaurants in the area that the staff recommends and we’re pleased the staff referrals met your expectations and more.
Thank you again for your kind comments!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I arrived around 7pm to one of the least friendly front desk people of all time. He tried to tell me that since my reservation said 2 people but I put 3 people on the list I had to pay 10 dollars extra a night. That isn't what I was told on the phone and he said "who did you talk to??" I had no idea. But he acted like a total jerk and said "oh I know who YOU talked to, FINE" Thanks...jerk. Get into the room... the a/c is a window unit with a gap...so yes there were bugs. The outlet in the room ( I had room 108) closest to the couch was not on correctly and we couldn't plug anything into the outlets without things falling out of them. The rooms themselves were ok. There were stains on the comforter, hairs on the pillow cases and the floor felt dirty everywhere. We should have taken pictures of how dirty our feet got just from walking around but we didn't. The fridge was a mini fridge. The water in the shower was very particular, either very hot or very cold. The view faced a building next door. The parking was ABSURD!!!! Not enough spaces so they REALLY shouldn't even advertise parking. The fold out bed in the living room was beyond awful, it was LOUD and uncomfortable, bars in all the wrong places, lumpy just terrible. The place was NOISY. Don't get a downstairs room if you plan to sleep, my room was just outside of the hot tub (it's a square so they all are) As soon as anyone was outside in that area talking you couldn't help but hear it. The walls were paper thin so you literally hear EVERYTHING going on. This place has a 72 hour cancellation policy otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there after I read the reviews. When I went to check out the girl didn't ask "how was your stay" I can only imagine she knows she works in a dump and that isn't a question she should really ask. Also they had actual keys, what a pain, if you lose them they charge you, if you are not out at EXACTLY 11 they charge you. We over paid for sure. I wish I would have made a fuss and left and got my money back because it was an awful experience. The ONLY good thing about this place is the location. It's close to the beach but loud loud and nasty. Also the housekeeper...banged on the door, which was locked from the inside for no less than 10 minutes yelling "HOUSEKEEPING" hey crazy, it's locked...from the inside...we don't check out for another day...leave us alone. Evidently our do not disturb sign fell off. At most decent places once they realize it's locked from the inside they leave you alone, this lady was a psycho about yelling it and trying the key and moving the door handle just rude and pathetic customer service. http://youtu.be/yX1WPLSrtaA

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AZactiveobserver
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Okay, let me start off my saying that if you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, this isn't it (go try the Pacific Terrace for $300/night). If you're the kind of person who will get hung up on details like a slightly crooked light fixture or scuffs on the molding, this is not for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for a hotel or suite that is right near the beach (Less than a block away!) and offers A/C, swimming pool and jacuzzi, nearby shopping and restaurants, etc, all at a great price - check out the Beach Haven Inn! My wife and two small children booked one of the recently renovated suites (living room with pullout and kitchen with stove, fridge, micro) and had a really nice stay. The staff was very friendly, responsive and accomodating, especially Bob! He even brought out a little boogie board for us to use at the beach! Cleaning staff was great too! Suite and Pool clean the whole 3 days. Overall, just a really nice stay. I'd have given them 5 stars if it weren't for some details we didn't love (like BR door sticking, A/C unit was in one room and not central, all tile in living room where carpeting or a rug would have been nice, pull-out couch was not made to handle much weight so only the kids could lie on the bed... little things). But, I give them 4 stars for a great stay at a great price (our suite was only $120/night!) :) Thanks, Beach Haven Inn! :)

Room Tip: We were in 105 which was a corner unit facing the pool (ask for pool-side!) This was also good for a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BurkeVaTraveler
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Beach Haven Inn.
The staff and I appreciate your feedback as it is important to see where any improvement can be made. Our goal is to make each and every guest feel welcome and comfortable.
Thank you again and we hope to see you in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My family and I spent a week in August here at this little gem. We planned on spending our week at the beach so location was important. We booked a standard room with two queen beds for my husband and I with our 3 and 9 yr olds. At the end of the block is the beach (5 min walk). The room is no frills, but still clean and the pool and pool area is nice. It's on the corner so if you prefer it quiet, ask for a room away from Mission Blvd. Overall, it wasn't a noisy place anyhow. There are many, many places within walking distance for dining, and everyone seemed to walk or bike everywhere. For the price you can't beat this place. Just down the block prices were 3x higher. We just wanted a safe, clean, friendly place to call home for the week and this place definitely fit the description. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank effort2fun

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a positive review of the Beach Haven Inn.
As you mention we are just a short walk to the beach and in close proximity to many fine restaurants and attractions.
The pool area with the BBQ grill is a nice feature that many guests mention when reviewing our property.
Thank you again for taking the as your feedback about the staff, the property, and the surrounding area is very important to us.