“Fabulous experience and recommended to all”
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
Ranked #6 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous experience and recommended to all”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Mudville Flats for our honeymoon and it was a home-run of a choice. The rooms are beautiful, and each one has recently installed easy to use temperature controls so that you're not subject to the whims of the management. Mike and Linda were friendly, welcoming, and very helpful. Although not in a beautiful area of town, this is a terrific location for getting around to all of the attractions of the downtown area and beyond; it's easy access to I-5 and other major highways without being right on top of them. Although on Trip Advisor Mudville Flats falls in the "Bed & Breakfast" category, there is actually no breakfast. What there is instead is a full kitchen in each flat with 3 grocery stores in a 10 minute walk and lots of restaurants. This is actually a great set-up because it allows you maximum breakfast flexibility - you can have what you want, when you want it, where you want it, wearing whatever you want. There are parking spots in a garage across the street which come with the room - you should get a compact car if you can because one of the spots is meant for a compact car. If you can't, then tell Mike and Linda as soon as you can, so you can get the larger parking spot if possible. The building itself is a historic building, meaning that the original bathtubs are there - not large enough for an adult to take a bath, but easy to control the temperature for a shower using the two knobs. Mudville Flats provides easy access to the Gaslamp District without being right on top of it, so you don't have to deal with the noise. The same is true of Petco Park (baseball stadium), which has a nice park you can walk through even when it's the off season. The back has a gorgeous patio which attracts hummingbirds; there are also bikes there which you can ride for free down to the ferry to Coronado Island. Mudville Flats does not have an impersonal check-in desk, but rather Linda or Mike will go with you to your room to show you how everything works and where everything is in the building. Maps are in the room, and Mike and Linda are available by phone at any time for anything that comes up. When asked, they also provide great advice about any type of food you might want to find and the best way to get there. The rooms are very spacious, with a bedroom, kitchenette, and large living room. The beds themselves are also very large and comfortable. Mike and Linda are also quick to respond to e-mailed inquiries in advance of arrival. If you bring DVDs (though they have some upstairs), they can hook a DVD player up to the large TV in each room - much better than watching on a computer screen. There are not a huge number of outlets around, but how many things do you need to plug in at once? Finally, though it may seem like a small thing, not only do they provide you with beach towels, but the bath towels are very comfortable. Is Mudville Flats perfect? No. No place is. But it's about as close as you can hope to get.

Room Tip: Any room is good; if you tell Mike and Linda what you specifically want, they can put you in the bes...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My family and I stayed at Mudville Flats for 8 days over Christmas. I don't want to just repeat things that have already been said in other reviews but some things are worth repeating....!! Linda and Mike are truly awesome. They are the kind of people that you hang with and think, "Wow, I wish they were part of our family!" They are so chill and so accommodating....they are the heart and soul of Mudville Flats.....all of the rest is just icing on the cake. But,if you are like me, icing is important so, let's get to it. The bed was divine. Huge, comfy, warm and complete with a huge array of fabulous pillows in all proportions and weights so that even the pickiest of our group had several to cozy up against through the night. The fireplace story....my mother flew in for three days and she stayed in a flat as well. Hers came with a little rolling, portable fireplace. Oh, how we wanted one for our room too! Abracadabra....upon our return to our room...Linda had rolled her own fireplace into our room! This isn't just any fireplace...you can adjust the heat by degrees. Fabulous!! Ambiance and warmth all rolled into one little package. :) Now I will get to the downtown part....location, location, location!! The three must haves in real estate!! We have friends and family in all parts of San Diego and Mudville Flats is the perfect location for accessibility to everything San Diego has to offer. My husband's morning routine included a short walk to Starbucks so that he could bring us all back breakfast which we ate out on our private terrace overlooking Mudville's cute little backyard sanctuary. My daughter took her Nook out there to read and had to be pried away! Most nights we strolled downtown from our room to eat in the Gaslamp district. Oddly enough, we often ended the night at Seaport Village where we watched fire eaters, sword swallowers and finished the night with some decadent fudge from the fudge shop! Seriously, driving to iconic attractions or walking to "feel the heartbeat of San Diego," Mudville Flats is the location. I could obviously go on and on but let me finish with parking! Many hotels in the area charge $30.00 per night to park. ( I know because we checked into it!) Parking at Mudville Flats is FREE!!! Free parking downtown is a rare treat that we savored. Thank you Mudville for a fabulous Christmas!! The Lawrence Family

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LizLawrence
Toronto
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, and I can't wait to go back.
Mike and Linda are the perfect hosts, Linda took at least 30 minutes when we arrived to point out and how the cable, lights everything etc within the flat was operated.She also pointed out the best restaurants, attractions and highlights of the neighbourhood, you could tell she loved the area and wanted to make us feel at home too.

It really is the attention to details that made our stay special. The kitchen was well stocked with coffee, tea, milk etc. Maps, take-out menus, quality toiletries and even ear plugs were provided.

I really liked having the kitchen area available, it was well stocked enough you could prepare a mulit-course meal , although we only used it for making breakfast and preparing lunch to take to the zoo.
The location is wonderful, a short walk to everything but not touristy, there is a grocery store right down the street, parking is very safe and secure across the street.

I am incredibly happy we chose Mudville flats, the parking was included rather than $40 a day at some of the other hotels, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the area was quiet at night unlike around most of the hotels we looked at in the Gaslamp area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paper_bag_princess1
South Carolina
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I came to San Diego for a conference and although the conference attendees were staying @ the Hilton by the water--we chose to stay at Mudville Flats!! We have stayed here on two other occasions and we are happier with each visit. Nothing can beat the hospitality shown by Linda and Mike. They are always so helpful and friendly. I feel an instant comfort when I walk in the doors of the beautiful "home like" suites. The beds are the best and the rooms are so comfortable. A fully equipped kitchen and a perfect sun porch to catch up on some R&R.
Everything is within walking distance- great restaurants, wonderful food and perfect places in the Gaslamp Quarter to enjoy a beer and people watch along with great shopping.
They even offer a discount to go to a great gym about 3 blocks away-which I didn't get to visit because I couldn't get enough of just going for morning runs along the waterfront and downtown San Diego.
I could go on for hours describing this awesome place but I hope if I can convince one person from my review to give this place a try - you will not regret your stay there and I'd be proud. I miss Mudville Flats already and the genuine compassion of the owners. Thank you so much Linda and Mike!!! We will be back to stay again and relax in your lovely home and continue to explore the awesome city of San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank kiawahgirl
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This past Sunday and Monday my wife and I stayed here as the last leg of our San Fran to San Diego coastal highway trip. Mudville flats is a home away from home. The flat was extremely clean and on arrival Linda not only gave us a great orientation to Mudville and San Diego but it was obvious how much pride she took on offering such a great place to stay. Mudville Flats is in the heart of the city and you can walk almost anywhere or walk a few blocks to catch the trolley that will take you to all of the parts of the city you need to see. As mentioned in other reviews there is off street parking less than a block away. You will park your car and not need it until you leave. Everything you would need in the flat is well thought out and the wireless internet is easy to connect to and very fast. If you are planning a trip to San Diego Stay at the Mudville Flats, you will not want to stay anywhere else when visiting San Diego. The owners are extremely helpful but they are never in your way. They make you feel very welcome and relaxed. After saying your goodbyes to Linda, the one thing that will keep coming back to your mind was how warm, friendly and clean the Mudville flats were.

2 Thank Janitzki
Kentucky
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week in San Diego where we stayed at Mudville Flats, a lovely boutique hotel in the Gaslamp Quarter. This was so much more than a hotel room! It is owned and operated by Mike and Linda, who are so friendly and helpful and exude pride in their place. We really felt more like a guest in their home than a customer. Linda drove me to the San Diego Zoo one morning and then to the airport for our flight home. They were attentive to our every need without being bothersome.

Mudville Flats has three apartments. We stayed in Apt. D which had a large living/bedroom, well-stocked kitchen and bathroom as well as an outside deck overlooking a beautiful and peaceful courtyard where I spent a lot of time enjoying the gorgeous weather with my coffee and book. We are baseball fans, so we enjoyed the baseball motif but it was blended beautifully with Linda's feminine touch...a water garden in the courtyard in the shape of a baseball bat!!! The hummingbirds loved it too! While we were there, Mike and Linda learned that Mudville Flats was named one of the "24 Coolest Small Businesses in San Diego" by Business Insider... See www.businessinsider.com/coolest-smallbusinesses.

The location was perfect for walking to Petco Park to watch a game, to any type of restaurant you could possibly want, as well as to great shopping. I even enjoyed a walk down to Seaport Village on a gorgeous afternoon to watch the sailboats and the people. If you have a car, a FREE parking space is provided in a garage across the street...no small thing. Parking at most hotels can be very pricey! One of my pet peeves when staying in hotels and B&Bs is the lack of adequate reading light. I thought that would be a problem here...until I spotted the floor lamp in the corner with 3 adjustable lights...it's the "little things"!

I have already sent Mudville Flats info to many of my traveling family and friends. We highly recommend it and look forward to staying there again. Thanks Linda and Mike for making this such a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: There is no elevator to second floor so if walking is a problem, choose an apartment on the first fl...
3 Thank KYWildcat71
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Traveled from Hawaii to celebrate my husband's 65th birthday in San Diego. Wanted to make this milestone birthday very special and memorable. The moment we walked into our beautiful suite at Mudville Flats, amazing Linda overwhelmed and surprised Garry with a birthday cake and card! I knew immediately I was exactly right to select Mudville Flats from reading all the great reviews on-line. Linda set the tone for what turned out to be a fantastic birthday celebration and visit to one of our favorite cities. Mike and Linda provides very clean, comfortable suites and all the amenities you will ever need. We loved staying in the street level, Suite A. No hotel provides such an energetic and sincere welcome and all the extraordinary special touches that Mike and Linda gives upon your arrival and throughout your entire stay. I totally agree with all the other wonderful reviews/descriptions of Mudville Flats so will not repeat it here. I even went to the Nail Spa up the street that Linda recommended to get a manicure/pedicure and even that was a great experience! We have stayed at many, many B&B's during our travels and Mudville Flats is at the top of our list! HIGHLY recommend staying here whenever you visit San Diego. Mahalo (thank you) Linda and Mike for making our stay and Garry's birthday so very special and memorable. We will be back! Warmest Aloha!

3 Thank kaidixon
mudvillemike, Owner at Mudville Flats, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Aloha! You were wonderful guests. Thank you for such a positive review. We hope to see you again.