“A Grand Slam!”
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
Ranked #6 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Santa Monica, California
“A Grand Slam!”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We've been lucky enough to stay in many great places around the world, so we have very high standards, particularly when it comes to celebrating our wedding anniversary.
We wanted to find a special place that would be elegant, romantic and unique for the occasion. We discovered Mudville Flats on Trip Advisor and were excited by the great reviews and appealing photos, and its unlikely mix of baseball and zen We made reservations for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and had such a wonderful time that we extended our stay another night. We arrived with high expectations, which were exceeded on all fronts, starting with the owners, Linda and Mike, who were warm, hospitable and helpful. They have done wonders restoring their craftsman interiors and have paid attention to the smallest details. Instead of an overstuffed frou-frou B & B style, they have chosen an uncluttered, more classic style. The huge bed is a knockout and the full kitchen was perfectly equipped. It was a pleasure to stay in the vibrant downtown neighborhood, with so much to see and do. Our host told us that we could park our car and forget it, getting around on foot, which is what we did. The only time we used it was on our last day in town when we went to nearby Balboa Park and enjoyed everything from the photography museum to the gardens. Overall we had a sensational stay and cannot recommend Mudville Flats more highly.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LifelongTravelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I went to San Diego for the National Association of Realtors convention last month. I felt lucky to find such a great place to stay. I did not rent a car, the Mudville Flats location is so convenient, it wasn’t needed. I walked to the convention center, the zoo, the water, the night clubs and restaurants. It is also easy to get anywhere else on the trolley a couple of blocks away. Better than the location, was the comfort of the room itself. Converted and upgraded from apartments, the Flats was so comfortable that I could see staying there for much longer than the four days I was there. The price was very reasonable, especially compared to the chain hotels. If like entertainment or good food or Petco Field or Starbucks within a 1 minute walk, then this is your next place to stay in San Diego.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Mortgage1Chicago
Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2009

My wife and I stayed for a week at Mudville Flats and loved everything about the experience. Our room-Suite B was located on the first floor at the back of the house. We felt very safe during our entire stay in San Diego. The East village neighborhood is nice and the boutique is very secure. All the restaurants and bars in the Gaslamp District are within walking distance. There is a Starbucks and Java Jones coffee house located about two blocks down the street that my wife and I enjoyed each morning. The hosts (Linda and Michael) are gracious and full of energy. The next time we come to San Diego we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CornDocIllinois
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 22 November 2009

I had a wonderful stay here - comfortable, cozy, unique - all the small details are taken care of and that makes this a special place. It's an easy place to relax after a busy day with a back porch/patio and a yard to enjoy a cup of coffee or a drink. Very convenient by car and for walking and biking in the city - great location. The bed is divine and the rooms are beautifully decorated. Mudville Flats was a high point of my trip and I see no reason to stay anywhere else in San Diego.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank PTglobal
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Had a great time here. The immediate neighborhood has some great restaurants/cafes. Cafe Chloe was very good for breakfast and lunch and looked quite romantic for dinner. The East Village locale may have some still-sketchy pieces - I think the historic wooden hotel nextdoor is an SRO place or a rehab place, but the new high-rises in the neighborhood indicate the future of the area. Within easy walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter and the Convention Center. The Padres' home Petco Park - quite nice - is visible from just down the street.

I stayed in Suite B, I believe - in the back on the first floor. Yes, the rooms and the decor were better than even the website indicated: classic and beautiful Craftsman style. Full kitchen and bathroom. Great baseball-oriented decorations on the walls. In my room were great autographed pictures of Pete Rose in his Reds uniform: Willie McCovey and Dave Winfield in their Padres days, and many of the living sluggers with over 500 home runs. The back deck and yard I would have pretty much had to myself if I had time.

Linda, who is one half of the owner couple, was extremely friendly and informative. She must have explained how to work the locks and lights and detailed the nearby dining options a thousand times but still did it with much patience and enthusiasm, and for lack of a better phrase, sunny San Diego charm.

All around, great place for a homey stay in downtown San Diego.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank PhillyBoy13
Germany
Reviewed 12 November 2009

The convention center is a 10-15 minute walk through an and interesting and reasonably safe part of the city. These hosts go all out to make you feel at home and even helped me book a massage to relax after a long day of conferencing! They are the sweetest couple and the rooms themselves really are as beautiful as they look in the website photos-- if you love turn of the century dark woods, you will love these rooms-- I stowed away lots of decorating ideas because I loved their lighting and decor. The bathrooms were outstanding for an older building and the whole place was spotless. There's a bit of noise (hey this is the city) but I truly wish I could stay in a place like this every time I went to a conference.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lkmldkmfujb
abroad
Reviewed 9 November 2009

All the other reviews about this place and the owners, Mike and Linda, are right on the money. My wife and I are on the road 365 days a year. We know a good place when we come across one. Mudville Flats is the best place we can remember. My favorite moments were spent on the back deck having dinner that we prepared in our own kitchen. It is a quiet oasis. Very safe. Comfortable. Best sleep I've had in a long time, too. Good bar down the street called Neighborhood. Great cafe a block away called Cafe Chloe. Stay at Mudville Flats.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business