“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location. You can easily walk anywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter. There are tons of bars and restaurants right around the hotel. The front desk staff was extremely helpful during check-in. We were given a room with a view of the Padres ballpark. The rooftop bar was nice, but quite expensive. The only negative thing I can say about this place is the room doors are quite heavy, and the housekeeping staff starts slamming the doors very early as they are going in and out to clean neighboring rooms. Other than that, we really enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank z75
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Z75,

Thank you stopping by and leaving a wonderful review about our Indigo. I am pleased to hear the location of the hotel and of your room were quite accommodating along with the Front Desk staff. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to noise from the doors near your room. I will be sure to speak with the housekeeping department to try and limit any slamming doors to ensure our guests have a peaceful stay.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo in San Diego's Gaslamp district for four days while on a combination business/pleasure trip. Since the conference room block was partially closed, I had to pay the full rate ~$300 for one night and about half that rate for the other nights with the conference discount. Although it was a nice hotel, I would never pay the full rate for all nights.

Our room was spacious and had a gorgeous view of the city lights. The front desk staff were very polite and accommodating.

On the 9th floor there is a bar with a great view. We went up there at about 8:30 p.m. for a drink. The view and the ambiance were spoiled by flat screen TVs that reflected into the glass wind screen around the bar. No one in the lounge was watching the TV, and we asked to have the one in our area turned off, so we could see the city lights without watching TV in the reflection. The bartender said, "No." We asked to have it turned down, but the view was really distracting. (See the photo.) I sent the photo to Facebook with a complaint and tagged the hotel. Within minutes, the manager came over and asked us if everything was OK. We said, "No" and pointed out the annoying TV reflection hovering over the city. She turned off the TV-- finally.

The lobby is very upscale, with a nice bar and small cafe-style restaurant. We ate in the restaurant only once and were underwhelmed. I ordered a breakfast burrito, which was supposed to have cheese, potatoes, green chilies, and avocado. There was no avocado and very little of anything else in it-- particularly the green chilies. I asked the waitress what happened to the rest of the ingredients. When she came back from the kitchen, she said they were out of avocado. This is bad kitchen management. At the beginning of the day (which this was), hey should have the ingredients to make every dish, and if they don't, the waitress should be told.

A few of the meetings for my conference were held at the hotel, but the meeting rooms were cramped. This hotel is only appropriate for small meetings -- less than 100.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors have great views of the city lights and the water in the distance.
Green Features: This is a Leed's Certified green hotel. I wish they provided robes, though.
1 Thank p2hannley
P2hannley,

We appreciate you taking the time and writing such a detailed review about our Hotel Indigo. I apologize for inconvenience you experienced in regards to the high rates along with the troubles on our . I am relieved to hear though that you found your room extremely accommodating and were able to take advantage of the Level 9 Terrace
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Really great hotel in downtown San Diego's Gaslamp district. The staff - especially the Front Desk staff in particular were amazing - very welcoming and professional - and they really seemed to take an interest in their guests. Room was spacious and had a very modern feel to it and we had a picture perfect view of Petco Park.

There are lots of great restaurants and bars in the area so you definitely want to venture out of the hotel. We did stop by the 9th floor outdoor bar which had spectacular views of downtown San Diego, and the drink prices were reasonable.

We did not dine at the hotel as there were so many choices nearby, so I cannot comment on the food.

Only downside was that valet parking was $41/day which is more than many hotels in LA - although there are parking garages nearby that are much cheaper.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Petco Park - should be amazing when the Padres are playing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
LauderdaleBud,

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review about our Hotel Indigo! I am thrilled to hear the staff was welcoming and that your room was extremely accommodating. I am also happy to hear the location suited your needs while in the downtown San Diego area.

We thank you again for the fantastic review and hope to see you again in the future!
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel was really nice. The rooms were more spacious then a previous hotel that I stayed at in the area. Rooms were clean and the hotel looked very new. Front Desk and bar staff were friendly and made the stay more enjoyable. The hotel is walking distance to several restaurants and shops. Great Aveda bath amenities as well as a full length mirror in the room ( this seems so hard to find in hotels). Would definitely recommend this hotel for your stay in Gaslamp and I would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. I did not have a view but other guests in my party mentioned that they c...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
SaintsFanGirl,

We appreciate you taking the opportunity to write a lovely review about our Hotel Indigo. I am please to hear you found the room accommodating for you stay. I will ensure my team hears about your wonderful feedback. It is always great to hear such positive words about our staff and the customer service they were able to provide you. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in a room at the Hotel Indigo with our daughters (ages 11 and 14) on a recent Saturday night. Since our friend's in the area were in the midst of a home remodel, we had to find someplace nice to stay in downtown San Diego before heading out to the resort on Coronado Island for the week. This hotel has a very modern feel, is clean, and rather comfortable. Rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. My wife and I enjoyed a drink on the rooftop bar (which offers gas heating too) and we all enjoyed our breakfast downstairs in the restaurant/bar area. We had a good view of Petco Park from our room, and the hotel was a short walk (couple of blocks, only) to the famous Gas Lamp district. Our only caution would be to be aware of potential noise on a Saturday night. It sounded like the group in the room next to us was having a loud party (we didn't complain, of course, and were young once too). Not sure if this is typical for a Saturday night at the Indigo ...

Room Tip: Check out the restaurant Basic - great little pizzeria (handmade!) and micbrobrew joint just around...
Green Features: not any better or worse than most hotels, as far as we noted.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Marksbenack,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a great review about our Hotel Indigo! I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here in San Diego and that you had the opportunity to experience our Level 9 Terrace. We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Diego!!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I used Hotel Indigo for a week long business event for my organization which included conference rooms, breakfast, lunches, hotel rooms, etc. I used tripadvisor to help narrow my search to find this hotel and was quite pleased with the results, so I hope this review helps others.

First, the staff. Mike, our conference services contact was amazing. The most accomodating, flexible, and service oriented partner I have ever worked with. His dedication to helping our event succeed was unparellel. Diana, our sales contact, also went above and beyond as she even helped run an errand for us when we were in a bit of a pinch. Also, employees at the front desk, like Nicolette, deserve credit as they were very responsive to both ours and our participants needs. As someone who has run programs like these a number of times, their level of service is a great attribute to Hotel Indigo.

Second, the food. One word...delicious!

Third, the location. The hotel is perfectly located in the Gaslamp Quarter. Far enough away to avoid the noise but close enough to walk to all sites, restaurants, etc. Excellent views including right into Petco Park, which was amazing.

The only word of caution (as I wouldn't call this a negative) is that Hotel Indigo is a dog-friendly hotel, so you see plenty of dogs.

Overall, I would highly reccomend this fantastic hotel in San Diego!

Room Tip: The side that faces Petco Park is the best!
Mark M,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and detailed review about our Hotel Indigo. I am extremely happy to hear the staff was very accommodating and that you had a successful business event at our property. Again, thank you so much for wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My GF and I decided to take another trip to San Diego. We had stayed at the Indigo about a month and a half earlier and again this weekend.

The first stay:
The service at the hotel was great except for the front desk. The valet crew were always helpful and accommodating. The bartender was very helpful. She recommended various drinks based on what we described we wanted. The front desk however was rude every single time. We would ask for something and it just seemed like we were burdening them.

This stay:
---Friday Night.
We arrived Friday night. We were in a great mood. Megan helped us check in. She was rude the entire time. Her tone of voice and her responses were just sooooo rude. Again as if we were bothering her. It seemed like her and her front desk girlies were more interested in gossiping than helping out guests. I think she was annoyed that we were checking in...even though she worked at the front desk. When we had arrived a valet person had put all our bags in a cart and put it next to the check in desk. After we finished checking in, we seemed puzzled because Megan didnt direct us what would happen to our bags... typically they should inform us that someone will deliver it up. She made it seem we were supposed to carry them to our rooms even though we asked for help. We kind of pause there and looked baffled and just looked at each other. We then asked her if someone could help and bring our bags to our room. Her responses was "oh yah, ill have someone bring them up..."

---Saturday Night.
Megan again. We call down because my girlfriend forgot to give them her priority member number at check in. (we collect points that way to earn free stays). Megan picked up. Apparently she was helping a customer at the front desk and says to my GF, "Im actually helping out a customer right now, you should call back in the morning. We will help you then." Um.... really? What happened asking us to hold? Or OMG... how about telling us your held up but do we mind that you call us back after you finish helping the customer at the front desk? So I guess there is a hierarchy of when someone gets helped or who gets helped at all...

---Sunday Morning.
Again my girlfriend calls down. She wanted to ask for a late check out. As a priority member you are able to get a late check out so long as the hotel is not booked. My girlfriend is a priority member and she worked for IHG (Parent company to Indigo) for 6 years. She knows the ins and outs of IHG regulations. They were just so unwilling to help out even though we were a priority member... they didnt even want to give us an extra 30 mins because were running a little behind.

We made a complaint to the front desk manager, Darren. He ended up comping half of our stay. He was very sweet and he tried to make up for how his front desk treated us. Honestly though, it didn't make up for it. My GF and I were livid the entire weekend. We go away to relax but only feel unwelcome and upset.

I read half of these reviews on here... Im shocked so many people have had great experiences with the front desk. If that is the case... Im wondering if we received crappy services for being a same sex couple or something else. I don't like pulling the "gay card" but yanno it just doesnt make sense that we were treated that way. Every single time we spoke to anyone at that hotel we used our please and thank yous, spoke with a kind voice, and never were rude. We never gave Megan any reason to give us crappy customer service. Im really not sure why we receive the service we did when so many had such nice things to say. The valet guys again were great. Offered us cards with discounts for local bars. The bartender on the 9th floor again was awesome chatting it up when we ordered drinks. The only issue with the indigo in SD is the front desk and especially Megan. But honesty, her attitude was so bad it warrants not ever staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank T N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear T N,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate your kind comments on our valet and bar staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service. It is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance during your stay. We sincerely apologize for any shortcomings you may have experienced at the front office. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Rest assured this issue will be looked into. I hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take corrective actions to improve our guest service.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P