“Nice rooms - ok experience”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
boston
“Nice rooms - ok experience”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is located right next to the ball park which is nice for a baseball lover. The general area in the gas lamp is a bit more on the outskirts than other hotels in the area which lead to the feeling of being cut off. Parking is expenisve for the location $41.00 per night, with no self park option. The staff and valet were very kind.

The rooms are large (with a zillion pillows on the bed). Wireless internet access is included for IHG members (as it should be but it appears that hotels are still in a different century on this point). The bathroom is beautiful. The room colors and decorations are a bit loud for my taste, i.e. not particularly rest inducing but I think they cater to a younger crowd who may be into the loud colors. With this hotel, think comfortable and not luxury.

This is not a full service hotel, thus the restaurant is not open 24/7 and has limited offerings overall. The breakfast was terrible and people in my party complained immensely about the coffee. What was most amusing is that they have several options for scrambelled eggs but no omelet option. When we asked if an omelet could be made, our server said they could try, and try they did. Suffice to say it was not great.

This would not be my first choice hotel if I am in the area again.

1 Thank meleetyme
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear meleetyme,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards on the room condition and truly sorry for the dissatisfaction you had with the breakfast choices. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Only stayed one night here but was very impressed. Its a large hotel with a boutique hotel styling and vibe. Staff at check-in were very cool, hip, and helpful. Since I'm a Plat IHG club member I got bumped up to a suite on the top floor which made the experience top notch. The suites are huge and very artistically decorated; again, boutique hotel vibe. The views of downtown were amazing. All the bars, clubs, and restaurants of the Gaslamp district are a few blocks away.
The only reason I don't give it five stars is because of the parking situation. Its in a downtown urban environment so understandably parking sucks and its expensive. This hotel is valet only and its $41! There are parking structures close that go for about $20 a day and there is free street parking at night.

So in review its a great, stylish hotel. The only issue I had was parking a car.

Room Tip: This hotel is valet only and the price for valet is more expensive than other hotels in the same are...
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel is beautiful, Clean as well as in the best area possible. i was recently here for spring break. The staff is amazing! The rooms are beautiful. i love the coffee makers here!!!! There is just something special here. The front desk managerWent far and beyond the call of duty to take care of us. So thank you we will be back next year!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Neeciegallegos,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our Hotel Indigo! I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your time in San Diego and that you found our location accommodating! We cannot wait to see you back next Spring Break!
Aarschot, Belgium
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Excellent hotel, rooms are nice and spacious. Very silent place where you can enjoy your rest but still a lot to do in the vicinity right in the gaslamp quarter. For breakfast, you receive a voucher of 30$ per room which you can spend in the little restaurant below, which served quite good breakfast. The only negative part for me was the location as it was quite far from the congress center.

Stijn112233,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a wonderful review about our property. I am thrilled to hear the rooms were accommodating and you enjoyed the breakfast. We cannot wait to see you again in the future!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I think the staff were excellent and very helpful and professional. I usually stay at IC hotels and this time (for the first time), I chose the Indigo brand. I was attending a conference at the convention centre.

The location is great, and you have access to the eateries at the gaslamp quarter with a hop and a step. The service was outstanding - I ordered something online. When I came back to the hotel - my order as carefully placed in my room with a card telling me when it arrived! The place is in the middle of everything - so it may be noisy in the nights - but I loved it and slept through it!

I would stay here again.

Green Features: Pet friendly (being a dog owner, I think this is great) +++ ( I did not travel with my dog).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Pookutty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about our Hotel Indigo! I am ecstatic to hear you were able to give our Indigo brand a try and that our staff was able to accommodate your needs. We look forward to seeing you (and your pet) the next time you visit San Diego!
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We arrived at 10am and were greeted by a wonderful guy Daren and he was so helpful,friendly and knew everything to all our questions and advised us on activities to do in our timeframe. Couldn't have been more helpful. Our rooms were ready early and we had requested adjoining rooms high up and that is exactly what we got. Amazing rooms so large, so well appointed with everything you could ask for. Couldn't fault anything. Great location, only 3 blocks from all the restaurants and bars of the gas lamp district, but you don't hear any of the noise. There are two bars one on the 9th floor, the rooftop bar a great place to have a quiet drink and watch the view and one in the lobby. I highly recent this hotel for business or pleasure. The wifi is free and very fast, a good desk to work at and a super comfortable bed. What more could you want.

Room Tip: Choose a high room overlooking the baseBall park, great if there is a game on to watch
1 Thank Michelle V
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Attending yet another conference at the San Diego convention center, I came across the Hotel Indigo from ratings here, looking for a reasonably priced option of more the boutique size (not one of the massive chain hotels nearby), and we very pleased.
Yes, it is a bit on the far edge of the Gaslamp district on 9th Ave (just a block or so up from the ballpark, actually I think it’s officially the “East Village”), but even so it's still just a 10 minute walk to the convention center and maybe 15 to the Manchester Grand Hyatt on the other end of the strip…this area is very walkable. There's a CVS for general supplies just a couple of blocks away, and all the restaurants and clubs of the Gaslamp too.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the room. It's modern (i.e. not old tired big hotel room with carpeting and standard tub/shower) without being ultramodern and cold (it had a hardwood floor with area rug). The layout is very spacious -- wide entry with side table and Keurig coffee/tea maker, lots of floor space. The bathroom was very spacious, lots of counter space, and a large modern shower with glass door (stone/tile, not that cheap tub material shower stall) that could fit 2 people almost. Also, the bathroom mirror doesn't fog up (must be well ventilated), and there are Aveda bath products.
The closet is perhaps a bit snug (just large enough to open the suitcase stand inside and store your bag, plus hang your clothes. And there's the iron, ironing board, and a handy safe.
You can control the temperature with the thermostat on the wall, and wifi was included (a little slow for watching video perhaps, but generally quite functional).
I didn't try the food, or use the exercise room, but they are there.
Overall, I can't find anything to complain about here (though I might imagine it could be noisy and very busy during game days), and would stay here again when attending a meeting at the convention center.

1 Thank ptbooth
Ptbooth,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave a wonderful and detailed review about our property! I am so pleased to hear that we, as a boutique property, were able to accommodate you for your stay while attending the convention. It is also fantastic that the location suited your needs and kept you within walking distance from restaurants, the convention center, CVS, etc. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you attend a convention or just have a vacation in San Diego!