“Cool Cali Vibe Near the Gaslamp District”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Cool Cali Vibe Near the Gaslamp District”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Pros: Friendly staff; clean,vibrant atmosphere; comfy bed, proximity to downtown sites and trolleys

Cons: Valet parking only (ouch!)

Whenever I'm in town, I tend to stay at Hotel Indigo. It's just so convenient while still having a modern, energetic feel. Having said that, please note that this property is Gaslamp District adjacent, not in the heart of it. Personally, I like that it's on a quiet, safe street within blocks of so many sightseeing, dining and shopping options.

Be careful of the valet parking. While not uncommonly high for San Diego, you might get a little sticker shock. Otherwise, you can usually get a great value at this hotel, so if you are staying for business or even with family and you don't need a car, you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank shoeluv
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Shoeluv,
Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave a lovely review about our Hotel Indigo. It is a joy to hear you stay here often and its location and energetic feel suits your needs. We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was in town for a week long convention and recommend the Hotel Indigo to my company, as I had two great visits here a few years ago. Overall, the hotel is great. For business it is just a few short blocks away from the convention center. It is on the fringe of the Gaslamp District with many restaurants nearby. The rooftop bar is excellent and it overlooks Petco Field where you can watch the Padres play. My company hosted a party on the roof and the staff did an outstanding job, especially Chris the bartender. The rooms are immaculate with a spacious shower that even on a high floor the water pressure is strong and the water is always hot. The beds are ultra comfortable, too.
The only two negatives I have is the cost of parking at $41 a day and the dining. Breakfast is on the pricey side and the meals were inconsistent. One day it was tasty, the next the eggs were overcooked and rubbery. I only had dinner there one night and had fish tacos that were so dry I couldn't even eat them. However, when pointed out they were more than happy to fix things. I found it was better to go to one of the many nearby restaurants.
Overall, when you want to stay downtown the Indigo is a solid choice. The staff is very professional and accommodating and if the restaurant was better I would have given my review a 5.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
NOSNED,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review about our Hotel Indigo. It is wonderful to hear that you have visited our property in the past and we are extremely thankful you brought your company as well. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the dining and I will ensure my food and beverage team is aware so they may remedy this in the future. Again, thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again soon.
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights before the San Diego Marathon. Overall a very good experience. Arrived early, storing luggage was no problem, likewise arranging a post-race late checkout was easy. The staff members were friendly and helpful, although occasionally the reception desk seemed overwhelmed. Room was clean and well appointed, though it looked a little worn - dings in paint and slightly creaky (loose) flooring. Nothing too glaring. Only complaints: 1) ventilation was barely adequate, very small vents and a narrow range of controls and 2) good sound insulation except for the door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Petco Park - better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
WalktoRun,
Thank you for leaving such excellent feedback about our property. I am pleased to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful for you. In order for our hotel to grow, we need to know our areas of growth and I thank you for providing us with your thoughts. I will ensure my team is aware of these suggestions and we hope to see you again next Marathon.
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great boutique hotel in a quiet and somewhat tug-away location - almost right in front (or behind) the Petco Park on 9th Avenue at Island Street, just a few short blocks to the heart of Gaslamp district. Wonderful decoration of this hotel... modern and chic. Spacious room and contemporary furnishings. Pet-friendly as well! Everything is well appointed. The only drawback is it doesn't have a club floor for premier members which would have been nice.

Overall no problems or complaints about the stay, the only minor thing is my colleague got a upgrade to SUITE for not being a premium member and as an "ambassador" member, I was not even told there was an upgrade option!

Room Tip: Get a room on higher floor so you can have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SanFranExplorer,
Thank you for writing a lovely review about our Hotel Indigo! I am pleased to hear that the location was convenient and that you fancied the décor. I am so sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate a complimentary upgrade for you. We strive to ensure our IHG Reward Members, especially our Ambassadors, have an exceptional stay with us.
Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again in the
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed with my wife for 3 nights in early May this year. The facilities are very good the room was spacious and has a lot of natural light. The hotel is a few steps from the Padres stadium. The Hotel staff is remarkably kind and helpful. We had a good time at this hotel and we recommend it.

Green Features: The hotel made enviromentally friendly practices its landmark and has received awards of environemtal excellence.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times when the prices aren't outrageously expensive. The rooms are very spacious and modern, and unlike Holiday Inns, the beds are very comfortable. There are some great views of downtown San Diego or the baseball stadium depending on where your room is.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no self parking lot there, only valet. Valet is $41 even for me as a platinum member. There is street parking if you find it, but need to pay close attention to the signs as there is street sweeping every day in different areas, and you WILL get a ticket. There is a regular parking lot 1 block west, but its still a pay lot.

The staff is very nice there and actually pay attention to customers which is totally evident.

Overall, great place to stay just a couple blocks away from the middle of the gaslamp area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I felt compelled to write a long overdue review of this hotel after being very disappointed with my stay there in 2010. With much anticipation and excitement to stay at this highly rated boutique hotel, it all started with the front desk. The staff was rude and practically ignored me while I stood at the front desk, with no line, waiting to check in. My first nights sleep was interrupted several times due to an unattended barking dog. When I complained about the situation, they did nothing to accommodate me or offer to change my room. The icing on the cake came with the outrageous parking fees added to my bill. The only nice thing I have to say is that the room decor and ambiance was beautiful and the bed was adorned with luxurious bedding but I didn't get to enjoy it due to the barking dog. The best part of my stay was the very friendly parking attendant who went out of his way to make sure that I was attended to. If you're traveling with your furry companions, this is a great dog friendly hotel. I have a furry companion too but he stays home with the kids when I travel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank classyandchic
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear classyandchic,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding our hotel. I am sorry to hear that we have failed to meet some of your expectations, particularly with the service you received from our hotel staff and with the noise levels. I appreciate that you have brought this to our attention for this will help us identify weaknesses that needs to be addressed. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with our hotel management to consider making improvements where necessary.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope you give us the chance to host you again in the future.

Faith R