“small but interesting”

Museum of Photographic Arts (MoPA)
Ranked #128 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Photographic Arts is one of the only museums in the country dedicated exclusively to the photographic arts, presenting work by some of the world's most celebrated photographers and cinematographers in its spacious new galleries and state-of-the-art 228 seat theater. MoPA is located in beautiful Balboa Park near downtown San Diego.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went because my husband in into photography. It is a small but cool museum. Everything in it was interesting. Entrance fee is only $8 but you only need about an hour to see it all. The gift shop has some wonderful items especially books. I think we spent as much time in there as in the actual museum.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We went with our 2 teenage girls who are VERY into photography. What they have for displays is well laid out but they only have 3 rooms & a gift shop. VERY disappointing.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Love photography exhibitions but this was a an exhibition of how not to run a photography exhibition. $8 entry is too pricey for the 3 rooms. I've been to better photography exhibitions that are free. There's a half decent Ansel Adams display but bear in mind I did say 'half'. I'm sure if Ansel attended this museum and took a selfie even he would have a look of disappointment on his face.

1  Thank allaussieadventures
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I love checking out photography displays so naturally I wanted to visit this museum in Balboa Park. The museum is laid out well and has a nice display. Unfortunately, just when I was really enjoying this museum, I walked into the main lobby. I thought that there might be an upstairs, but there wasn't. Total it will take about a half an hour to 45 minutes to visit. The entrance fee was $8/person. It is a little pricey for such a small museum. The display was really pleasing, it just needs to be larger. There is a gift shop attached to the museum. I may go back if there is a special exhibit that is of interest to me. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this museum.

1  Thank worldtraveller2801
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

What a surprising visit. My wife was a little reluctant as this attraction wouldn't be "our normal thing." How wrong we were! The theme on our visit was "Power" and the exhibition took us through so many different emotions whilst surrounded by peaceful tranquility. I found it fascinating for the effect the photos had on our emotions.
More of an adults destination by its nature but don't even hesitate to go if you get the chance.

2  Thank 05062586