“Burnt pizza”

Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I tried out Basic following all the great reviews on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, this place turned out to be a below-par pizza restaurant. We ate in the restaurant area which was sectioned off from the bar/gallery. It was relatively late in the evening and there was only 1 other table occupied.

We ordered a large pizza which was relatively expensive for what we got. Unfortunately our pizza was burnt and the toppings didn't have much flavour whatsoever. It was already pretty late and dint have time to send it back and wait for another one. We ate a few slices and left the rest. Ive honestly had much better pizza at some of the "Pizza by the Slice" places on street corners. In my opinion, Basic isn't worth the walk across town.

5  Thank sismith17

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Pizza would have been better if crust was crispy. Not sure why edge was crispy but interior crust was soggy. $22 for large with 4 toppings. Service was awesome and beer was ice cold.

1  Thank rookiegolpher
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I checked out Basic the last time I was in San Diego for a conference. The ambiance is interesting, definitely "trendy", with a very warm feel despite the open floor plan.

I came in at Happy Hour, which is a great deal, seeing as how they actually put out free pizza samples. I tried the pepperoni and cheese, and it was good, but nothing to rave about.

As I had a long flight ahead that night, I opted to go for my own pizza and had a fired eggplant, roasted red pepper and ricotta pizza and it was absolutely fabulous. So in essence, if you're going be a bit adventurous and you'll be rewarded.

Good service, good beer. Decent pricing. Would recommend.

2  Thank shrevedc20
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Great place for pizza - you have to try the mashed potato pizza - yummy. Salad is good value - big bowl for $9. Lots of eye candy strolling around :-)

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Picked this place for our road trip on the basis of TA and everything was great - pizza, salad and cocktails n mason jars. Be aware that this place is probably impossible to get into during baseball games since Petco Park is next door. And the fact that they ONLY serve the aforementioned.

It is split between bar, art gallery and pizza joint and the stereo is cranked up to 11 at the bar and the is no separation so it is LOUD and if you don't like young urban mix find another place.

2  Thank hmbay

Been to Basic? Share your experiences!