“Nice Little Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of William Penn Hotel

William Penn Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
William Penn Hotel
Ranked #21 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
California
“Nice Little Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights December 2010. We were attending a conference at the convention center. Location was nice. It is in the middle of the Gaslamp area with a Starbucks right under the hotel. Perfect to grab a cup before walking to the convention center only about 8 blocks away. It was a reasonable price. The room was large with living room and kitchen facility. Elevator was small, old fashion type and was temperamental.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelingCAFool

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed with my parents for 10 days in the month of August.
Location is incredible, in the heart of Gaslamp.
The man that stays in the reception is very rude.
We stayed in the room 403 and housekeeping is lousy, without attention to detail. Rooms are very dusty. I had to give a good clean myself before I felt good to walk bare foot.
It was a nice stay and I would come back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LeticiaSD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Wife and I rented an apartment here for a weekend in June with another couple. It was a nice and very quaint converted hotel apartment. It was spacious, fully furnished with kitchen and very nice for and older place. With a full kitchen and living room we prepared food and drinks to have 3rd couple over before going out in the Gaslamp. When our friends arrived they were denied entry by the manager named Paul Craig. He was extremely rude and said no more than 4 people in an apartment. Reminded me of college spring break and the nasty Florida beach hotels keeping kids from throwing parties in the rooms. We are not kids and were not throwing some loud college party.

Here's where it got comical... By 1am the doors and windows were rattling and the walls literally shaking as the bass from the club next door thumped. I don't exaturate, the whole building was rattling. We actually laughed that part off as after all we chose to stay in a restored building in the Gaslamp Quarter. We only wondered what possible noise this rude manager imagined the 6 of us were going to make that could compete with those rumbling doors and windows?!?!

Bottom line is if they got rid of this manager and installed some insulation in the walls as a sound barrier it could be a cool place to stay for the $$. Until those 2 things happen, definitely avoid the William Penn in SD!

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank ATLworldtravel
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel is in the heart of the gaslamp quarter and the room was nice (could have used a paint touchup), but over all nice. The only issue I had was around midnight we hear the door open and it's the guy from the front desk. When confronted all he could say was "I thought you had gone out for the night" and then he left. For a hotel that does not offer daily maid service to guests I thought it was strange for him to just let himself in at that time of night for no reason.

Not sure if I'll ever stay there again, but nice location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank JimG30
Foristell, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Pros: Close to good restaurants, convention center, spacious
Cons: No one at the front desk most of the time--phone number left to call them, so bring your cell phone, key to get into lobby during evening hours (no one is there at all then & several homeless people lurking around the Starbucks next door scary for 2 women, dirty-toilet with urine on it, dishes in equipped kitchen not clean (one bowl I grabbed actually had some kind of fluid still in it), dusty furniture, sticky kitchen floor; second bed fold out mattress that was lumpy & actually scratched me because of a button sticking out; an infestation of gnats or fruit flies of some kind..I tried to kill them in the bathroom...I counted at least 7! And then the techno disco noise that went on every evening we were there (Sunday!! Really??!!) til 2 a.m. There is no fitness center, or room service
Overall experience: I would never go there again...and would have moved if it wasn't for the financial situation and we would not have prob found a place during the con.

Room Tip: Dont book this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank kidandrews
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I always thought I would do a positive review on this places due to multiple stays and my brother renting out a whole floor for his wedding but this last stay has put a BAD taste in my mouth! I will never stay at that so called hotel again!

BEWARE!!!!!! This can not be a meeting place before heading out to a club or bars, even though it is the heart of gaslamp.

We were in gaslamp to celebrate my cousin's graduation. All my cousins were in town from as far as LA and riverside. Some cousins and siblings  live in San Diego. We planned on meeting at our hotel before we headed out to a club. There was is older man (so called receptionist) ...last time I checked receptionist are usually more helpful and a lot nicer. The first thing this guy says to us is "you know there's only 4 people to a room?!!" Not nice at all, actually very rude! Even after my boyfriend told him at everyone was just meeting here or changing here. He just kept following us every time we would let people in. We were waiting for my sister, which was the last person to arrive. We were all ready to go, shoes on and everything. My boyfriend went down to get my sister so she could leave her purse in our room. After only being in our room for about 2 hours, The rude man followed them all the way to our room and demanded they open the door. He barged into our room and started yelling "everyone out!" I couldn't believe what was happening. He didn't even give anyone a chance to talk or even grab our belongings. I was so mortified... Embarrassed and pissed at the same time! How could someone treat their guests that way?!!!

After sitting at a bar and talking about what we should do, we all decided to leave that horrible place and stay at my sisters place. We walked in not even wanting to talk to the guy, all we wanted was to grab our things and go. But he started yelling again "only 4 people can go up there!!" So myself and 3 other people grabbed bags, food and drinks at 3 in the morning. When leaving all the rude guy could say is "should I say you're checking out?" I had to walk outside while my boyfriend had a few words with him. I was always taught if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all.

Now 3 days later... No phone call or anything from the manager or owner! What kind of business is this?!! Have they heard of customer service?!!! We're not even expecting our money back or even an apology but a simple phone call to see what happened that night would be nice!

So If you're looking for a place to stay in gaslamp.... DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!! Unless you want a babysitter for a receptionist!

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank iluvbuba0829
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Good location, nice size rooms, good price, but very dirty. Did not want to walk on floor without shoes, walls we're filthy, toilet seat had not been cleaned at all. Had to go out and buy cleaning supplies to feel somewhat comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011