“Hidden spot worth finding”

New Orleans Creole Cafe
Ranked #567 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had been to Old Town many times, but never would have known about this place if it hadn't been recommended to me. My mom and I went for lunch on a weekday, we were the only ones there, which I thought was a bad sign, but boy was I wrong! I am guessing it was because no one else knew it was here either! I had a Po' boy, and my mom had the gumbo. Both were very good and worth the trip, the outdoor seating a nice, shady, and quiet spot in busy Old Town.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

You walk up to what looks like 2 seperate tiny houses, one holds the dining room, one holds the kitchen. We chose an outdoors, patio seat. We were greeted, given menus and made to feel 'at home.' My husband is from South and LOVED the food. Said he could have had seconds on the red beans and rice, except he was full. I had the special and it was a good sized portion, I left more than full and stayed that way. It is spiced like Cajun food, so if a little 'kick' is not your style, this may not be the place for you. We even had a cat show up as with the legend of the neighboring Whaley Manison.

1  Thank K-INKStat2
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Looked like a cute dining spot. Unfortunately we were not able to eat there. The waiter threw the menus on the table before we sat down and after waiting for 15 minutes we never saw him again so we decided to leave. No one needs to be treated that way. I'd you don't like your job don't take it out on the customer. Another table of customers also left after no one waited on them as well.

I think management needs to take a look at their wait staff. After all customer service is all part of the experience.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We enjoyed our first dinner here on a busy weekend with Comic con attendees all over town. The restaurant is tucked away & is very small. The 2 owners do everything: greet, take orders, cook,
& check on their customers: very nice. Food was good. I had shrimp creole, a large serving with nice spicy flavor. My companion had red beans & rice which he liked. Bread pudding for dessert: yum. Parking can be an issue in Old Town on weekends but definitely worth the time to try this spot. Recommended.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The New Orleans Creole Cafe is in Old Town San Diego and a bit off the beaten path. We had the Alligator sausage as an appetizer and I enjoyed a Blackened Chicken salad with a fabulous remoulade and my husband had the Muffuletta salad, equally tasty. The owners took great care to make sure that we were well taken care of. We highly recommend a visit!

1  Thank BrentNEllen