“Great Food”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A Creole/Cajun cafe right in the middle of a dozen Mexican restaurants - who knew? After eating close to a dozen tacos the night before, it was great to change things up a bit. The New Orleans Creole Cafe is a short walk from the center of Old Town. It has an outdoor cafe for eating, as well as an indoor area. I decided to have a Savoie's Alligator Sausage Po-Boy sandwich and an Abita SOS beer. As you can see from the picture, the sandwich was HUGE. I barely finished it. The alligator sausage was very tasty, with the right level of spiciness.
Service was good and the food was excellent. If you go, you are probably better off eating outdoors than inside the enclosed eating area. Although I originally wanted to eat indoors, I and my partner found the indoor eating area dark, with a slight musty smell. Your experience could be different.
I will return there again for an outdoor meal.

1  Thank Brent L

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This unlikely spot in Old Town was a hit for dinner last weekend. The restaurant is tiny and unassuming, but the food is excellent and the service was attentive. I recommend the gumbo and jambalaya. A nice change from the touristy Mexican restaurants that abound in Old Town.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I love this place! Great food, nice staff and quaint. The desserts are awesome!
It's just off the main walkway, kind of have to look for it but don't miss it. One of the best in Old Town, totally worth it.

1  Thank octaviaSanDiego
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I really don't know how these 2 manage to handle things so well with just the 2 or them working. Between Mark and Humburto they waited on the customers, cleared the tables, mixed the drinks and cooked the meals and handled payment of the bill at the end of dinner and it was all great. I've gone for dinner at restaurants where they are no where near as busy, they have wait staff, bus boys and cooks in the kitchen and the food and service does not approach the level that we experienced last night. They took care of all the customers equally well and even took pictures for a party group that was celebrating a party.

The restaurant is set back a bit from the main street so it is very relaxed and not as noisy as restaurants on the main drag. It is very cozy but tables are set far enough apart that there is no eavesdropping on other tables conversations.

We started off with the alligator sausages. They were just slightly charred and oh so good. Hot bread was served with dinner. My husband had the crawfish etouffee and it was amazing. It had a very generous serving of crawfish and for $21.00 was very good value. I had the shrimp platter. The shrimp was absolute perfection. It had a very light batter and the shrimp was very tender and flavorful. There were at least 10 good sized shrimp on the plate and it was accompanied by red beans and rice and a salad.

They only open for dinner Thursday through Sunday and lunch Thursday through Monday. It's a very small restaurant so reservations are a good idea.

It was a much nicer evening than we had expected. It is a definite repeat when we return to San Diego. Mark and Humburto - you're both amazing. I don't know how you do it but you're both just amazing.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Dined at this wonderful restaurant tonight, my wife and I were both amazed and delighted at the tasteful cuisine, no doubt one of the very best restaurants we have dined at! Will be returning soon to sample another tempting item from the menu!