“Great art museum”

and up
Go San Diego Card
Ranked #83 of 426 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: The San Diego Museum of Art, the region’s oldest, largest and most visited art museum, provides a rich and diverse cultural experience. Located in the heart of beautiful Balboa Park, the Museum’s nationally renowned permanent collection includes Spanish and Italian old masters, South Asian paintings, and 19th- and 20th-century American paintings and sculptures.In addition, the Museum regularly features major exhibitions from around the world, as well as an extensive year-round schedule of supporting cultural and educational programs for children and adults. Exhibition text is always in English and Spanish.
Rialto, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great art museum”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Surprisingly my entire family enjoyed this museum. Even my eleven year old! My teenager is really into art so I think that it made the experience all that more enjoyable. We always travel with our service dog because my husband is disabled and the museum staff was kind and pleasant, not stuffy. We went during their summer salon series so it made it quite interesting.

Visited June 2011

• Korean first
Bellingham, Washington
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“not very impressed”
Reviewed 26 February 2011

The admission fee is rather high considering the small size of this museum. Spent the day at Balboa Park, also visited Museum of Man and Museum of Natural History. Wish we had skipped this one and had gone to one of the many other museums in Balboa Park.

Visited February 2011
Tempe, AZ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lovely musuem with great shows and interesting collections”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I have visited this museum twice. The first time I was there they had the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition which was great and the second time it was "Thomas Gainsborough and the Modern Woman".

Both were great, but I also enjoyed the permanent collections, although I haven't been all the way through. They have a Mattisse that I really love. They have an Asian art collection, European, Art of the Americas, and more... I haven't been able to see it all. I could easily spend the better part of a day browsing through this musuem.

The front desk was not particularly friendly or warm but they weren't horrible either. I had just come from MOPA so I was more used to the smaller museum's staff. I have also visited the Mingei at Balboa Park before and their staff was great, so the staff here does NOT compete for best staff at a Balboa Park museum award, but they are adequate.

They had a couple of other exhibits I really liked as well. Definitely a museum to which I would return and also one I would recommend to friends.

Visited February 2011
Gilbert, AZ
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Best of Balboa Park”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

This is a real nice local museum in the heart of Balboa Park in San Diego. You can park down the road then hop on the free trolley that circles the park. The price is about $10. They have some great exhibits and shows inside the museum. Toulouse-Lautrec was being shown when we were there. if you are there with kids, let them go in the Science museum 200 yards east of the museum while you enjoy the art museum.

Houston, Texas
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I love art museums and seek them out in every city, but this one was disappointing. The admission fee was very high for such a small museum. I was in and out in less than forty five minutes--and had seen every single painting. There are less than six paintings by masters, and although the rest of them were of good quality, they were largely forgettable. Balboa Park has so many amazing sights and museums your time would be better spent elsewhere.