“Great Way to Take In A Lot in an Afternoon”

San Diego Museum of Art
Book In Advance
More Info
US$89.86*
and up
Go San Diego Card
Ranked #79 of 461 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: The San Diego Museum of Art, the region’s oldest, largest and most visited art museum, provides a rich and diverse cultural experience. Located in the heart of beautiful Balboa Park, the Museum’s nationally renowned permanent collection includes Spanish and Italian old masters, South Asian paintings, and 19th- and 20th-century American paintings and sculptures.In addition, the Museum regularly features major exhibitions from around the world, as well as an extensive year-round schedule of supporting cultural and educational programs for children and adults. Exhibition text is always in English and Spanish.
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The museum is one of many in Balboa Park. It's nice to have so many museums clustered together, so tourists and locals can enjoy them.

Went to see a special exhibit which feature art from El Greco to Dali. If you're in downtown San Diego, you can't miss the promotional signs. It's a limited time exhibit so make sure you check it out.

In addition to that exhibit, they have collections featuring North American painters, Asian art, and a lot of other interesting displays.

If you go to Balboa Park, it's definitely worth a visit.

All reviews
"water fountain"
"enjoyable visit"
"nice gift shop"

Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stumbled on this museum while walking through Balboa Park in the early evening. We were lucky that it was still open because over the summer, on Thursdays, the museum was open til 9pm. We were greeted by friendly museum workers. The admission was $12/adult. We had to check in our backpack in their lockers. As you enter the main area, there is a large beautiful staircase that leads to more galleries on the second floor. Because the museum was open late that night, there were special events that were going on. Some of the events were to welcome an artist whose photographs were on display, cocktails reception in the lobby, and an art class for anyone who wanted to participate in. What attracted me to go inside and tour the museum was their exhibit featuring Spanish painters, which was advertised on the exterior of the museum. The exhibit was great, which showcased paintings from Goya, Dali, and other Spanish artists. There were other areas in the museum which showcased paintings from French and American artists. It was a great museum to tour and take the time to appreciate the art. We walked through the entire museum in about an hour. It is a small museum but it gives you that that intimate ambiance and there are many galleries to explore.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Surprisingly my entire family enjoyed this museum. Even my eleven year old! My teenager is really into art so I think that it made the experience all that more enjoyable. We always travel with our service dog because my husband is disabled and the museum staff was kind and pleasant, not stuffy. We went during their summer salon series so it made it quite interesting.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

The admission fee is rather high considering the small size of this museum. Spent the day at Balboa Park, also visited Museum of Man and Museum of Natural History. Wish we had skipped this one and had gone to one of the many other museums in Balboa Park.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I have visited this museum twice. The first time I was there they had the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition which was great and the second time it was "Thomas Gainsborough and the Modern Woman".

Both were great, but I also enjoyed the permanent collections, although I haven't been all the way through. They have a Mattisse that I really love. They have an Asian art collection, European, Art of the Americas, and more... I haven't been able to see it all. I could easily spend the better part of a day browsing through this musuem.

The front desk was not particularly friendly or warm but they weren't horrible either. I had just come from MOPA so I was more used to the smaller museum's staff. I have also visited the Mingei at Balboa Park before and their staff was great, so the staff here does NOT compete for best staff at a Balboa Park museum award, but they are adequate.

They had a couple of other exhibits I really liked as well. Definitely a museum to which I would return and also one I would recommend to friends.