“Sushi with Love”

Ranked #1,477 of 4,869 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Japanese, Vietnamese
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Mike, Maria, Jose and family give you a sushi experience that make you feel right at home. A great bar, giant flat-screen, great table spacing, incredible hospitality, and fresh sushi that leaves your tummy very happy. These people bring the sushi experience to your heart.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

After reading many praising reviews for Kyoto, I had to try it and am happy to say that it was not disappointing! Not only is the sushi done with skill, you are treated as though you are a part of the extended family! On certain nights, you will even find their daughter studying at a table near the rear - it is truly a family run establishment!
My friend and I decided upon the combination sushi plates (#1 & 2), but also asked for a recommendation for an appetizer, where we were treated to a spicy, half-cooked dish that was amazing. At the end of our meal, we went with our chef's recommended desserts, which were very tasty and addictive.
We decided to return a few days later for our last meal in the area and were warmly welcomed back! This time around, I had the Seafood Plate and my friend had Combination #1, both overwhelming tasty! If back in the area once again, I will return!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I am giving Kyoto Suhsi a 4 overall, meaning I think it is very good, but that is an overall rating.

The sushi is good or maybe average, but the value is great and the service is good. It is not where I would go to get SD's best sushi, it is on a par with Sushi Deli not Sushi Ota, but it is a great lunch spot, which is when I've usually been there.

1  Thank scottca075
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love sushi and prefer the authentic, old fashion sushi not over wrought with sauces. Kyoto does a great job with basic sushi and miso soup. The fish was fresh. The rolls were well made, held together well, the rice was soft and chewy, not overcooked and soggy. The owner was very accomodating and friendly. I asked the server to help me avoid sesame due to my allergies and she did a great job. Other restaurants and servers can sometimes treat me as if I'm just being difficult when I make this request, I am really allergic. The prices were very reasonable and the food was good. We will definitely come back. I would recommend Kyoto to my friends.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

good value, decent sushi and lovely service. Nice to support a small local place!