“Simple comfort in great location”
Review of Pacific View Inn

Pacific View Inn
Ranked #172 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel is simple, functional and comfortable. It's probably the most basic of the hotels we stayed at during our holiday, and despite a clean reception area, the public areas are in need of some TLC (stained carpets, cheaply decorated). Also to the horror of my partner there is no AC which ended up not being a major problem (Sept/26-30 C degrees) as a fan was provided, but would have been more challenging in mid summer. The location is great for the beach with a real surfer vibe and a young crowd so there is some life after dark. Ideal for exploring the beach/surf/some nice shops, bars and restaurants, but less so the city itself. I liked it for the relaxed vibe, but partner wished we'd stayed downtown.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Pros: perfect location, helpful front desk staff, excellent (and free) wifi, good parking option that I paid for. Unlike one of the other reviewers who wasn't told about the parking ahead of time I was, and it was well worth paying for.

The rooms differ from one another as this isn't a cookie cutter hotel. Mine (room 11) had an incredible view from the second floor small deck right outside the door. Not all rooms are as good.

Cons: this isn't a high end super fancy hotel. The bathroom was perfectly functional but basic. The room was quite large with a sink, fridge, and microwave, but again fairly basic.

Those aren't really "cons" as long as you aren't expecting more.

Room Tip: Rooms 11 and 12 have great views from the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013

So, as many others have said, the location of this place is just brilliant; a stones throw from the beach, walking distance from all the bars and restaurants you could want, short walk from Mission Beach and only just down the road from La Jolla (I walked up to La Jolla,only took around an hour and it was a real nice walk).
So I was tired and jet lagged when I got to my room but it put a smile right on my face when I walked in. Huge bed, nice size bathroom and a little kitchen; it felt like more of an apartment than a hotel room and that's what I really wanted. A very comfortable place to stay for 2 weeks. Yes the trimmings aren't all perfect, chips in paint etc but honestly who cares?

It was a bit noisy from my neighbors upstairs but that wasn't something I couldn't get used to. The parking spaces out front are few and far between but when I stayed here, there was always a free spot available.

So if I come back to San Diego I'm guna be staying here. I won't be looking for another room to get, this is it for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great location right on the beach surrounded by fine restaurants and lots of activities. Staff is excellent, friendly and helpful. Great rooms with views all at a bargain price. It's my first option whenever I travel to San Diego!

Paul

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oceanliver
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The good:

* Right on the beach
* A short walk to bars and restaurants in Pacific Beach

The bad:

* No parking (unless you reserve weeks in advance, which we didn't know)
* Spartan rooms (I've stayed in better hostels)
* Miserably hot and humid interior room (no A/C, no ventilation in the back)
* Cheap, springy mattress
* Preoccupied front desk employee

Summary: $230 a night for a miserably hot, hostel quality room. Spend the extra ~$50 a night and reserve something more worthwhile. Don't expect any amenities and little service. We did everything we could to stay out of the room as much as possible.

Room Tip: If you must stay here in the summer, get an exterior room on the first floor so at least the heat wi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JayS2001
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

We decided this was the best accommodation we had in 1, 5 month (lower budget) travelling USA and Canada.The hotel is located right in front of the Pacific beach. Very cool, relaxing, holiday, surfing place in San Diego. It's very nice in neighbourhood of bigger and I guess more expensive hotels.It's very good location also for eating out, bars and shopping .You don't need to use car here. The rooms are very modern, clean.We had in 3 people 2 rooms with 2 bathrooms!!, 2 TVs and the most comfy king size bed.It's really like a small appartment on the beach.The value is great!!! 100% recommended from us.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank mispule
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location with amazing views. It is within easy walking distance of fab eateries and the guys who run it were really helpful. The room was clean and well maintained. I was there overe 'spring break' and there were some noisy guests but That is not the hotels fault just inconsiderate people. Everything worked including Wifi.

Room Tip: Corner first floor room is a good location away from main street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo