“Steps away from the beach”
Review of Pacific View Inn

Pacific View Inn
Ranked #173 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Steps away from the beach”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here after reading reviews about the fantastic location.

The rooms themselves are somewhat basic. They actually feel more like an apartment than a hotel room, which we liked. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite with a living room, two bathrooms, a refrigerator, microwave and the most comfortable bed ever!

We could hear the ocean from our room. The inn rents bikes, surfboards and offers complimentary coffee and drinking water all day as well as a free breakfast.

The PVI is two blocks from Garnet St, the main drag in PB.

Great location and comfortable rooms for a low price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel is simple, functional and comfortable. It's probably the most basic of the hotels we stayed at during our holiday, and despite a clean reception area, the public areas are in need of some TLC (stained carpets, cheaply decorated). Also to the horror of my partner there is no AC which ended up not being a major problem (Sept/26-30 C degrees) as a fan was provided, but would have been more challenging in mid summer. The location is great for the beach with a real surfer vibe and a young crowd so there is some life after dark. Ideal for exploring the beach/surf/some nice shops, bars and restaurants, but less so the city itself. I liked it for the relaxed vibe, but partner wished we'd stayed downtown.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Pros: perfect location, helpful front desk staff, excellent (and free) wifi, good parking option that I paid for. Unlike one of the other reviewers who wasn't told about the parking ahead of time I was, and it was well worth paying for.

The rooms differ from one another as this isn't a cookie cutter hotel. Mine (room 11) had an incredible view from the second floor small deck right outside the door. Not all rooms are as good.

Cons: this isn't a high end super fancy hotel. The bathroom was perfectly functional but basic. The room was quite large with a sink, fridge, and microwave, but again fairly basic.

Those aren't really "cons" as long as you aren't expecting more.

Room Tip: Rooms 11 and 12 have great views from the second floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

So, as many others have said, the location of this place is just brilliant; a stones throw from the beach, walking distance from all the bars and restaurants you could want, short walk from Mission Beach and only just down the road from La Jolla (I walked up to La Jolla,only took around an hour and it was a real nice walk).
So I was tired and jet lagged when I got to my room but it put a smile right on my face when I walked in. Huge bed, nice size bathroom and a little kitchen; it felt like more of an apartment than a hotel room and that's what I really wanted. A very comfortable place to stay for 2 weeks. Yes the trimmings aren't all perfect, chips in paint etc but honestly who cares?

It was a bit noisy from my neighbors upstairs but that wasn't something I couldn't get used to. The parking spaces out front are few and far between but when I stayed here, there was always a free spot available.

So if I come back to San Diego I'm guna be staying here. I won't be looking for another room to get, this is it for me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
sarasota
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great location right on the beach surrounded by fine restaurants and lots of activities. Staff is excellent, friendly and helpful. Great rooms with views all at a bargain price. It's my first option whenever I travel to San Diego!

Paul

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oceanliver
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The good:

* Right on the beach
* A short walk to bars and restaurants in Pacific Beach

The bad:

* No parking (unless you reserve weeks in advance, which we didn't know)
* Spartan rooms (I've stayed in better hostels)
* Miserably hot and humid interior room (no A/C, no ventilation in the back)
* Cheap, springy mattress
* Preoccupied front desk employee

Summary: $230 a night for a miserably hot, hostel quality room. Spend the extra ~$50 a night and reserve something more worthwhile. Don't expect any amenities and little service. We did everything we could to stay out of the room as much as possible.

Room Tip: If you must stay here in the summer, get an exterior room on the first floor so at least the heat wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JayS2001

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

We decided this was the best accommodation we had in 1, 5 month (lower budget) travelling USA and Canada.The hotel is located right in front of the Pacific beach. Very cool, relaxing, holiday, surfing place in San Diego. It's very nice in neighbourhood of bigger and I guess more expensive hotels.It's very good location also for eating out, bars and shopping .You don't need to use car here. The rooms are very modern, clean.We had in 3 people 2 rooms with 2 bathrooms!!, 2 TVs and the most comfy king size bed.It's really like a small appartment on the beach.The value is great!!! 100% recommended from us.

• Stayed May 2013