“Not worth the money! Dirty rooms and rude staff!”
Review of Pacific View Inn

Pacific View Inn
Ranked #175 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Not worth the money! Dirty rooms and rude staff!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the only positive I can come up with; location! It couldn't be better. Right on the beach and very close to lots of excellent bars.

Now for the reality! We stayed for four nights and during that full time our room didn't get cleaned. The rooms are carpeted so you can imagine the state it was in by the end of our stay! We also were only given clean towels once. There's also no air-conditioning so the room is a sweat box.

There is a kitchen facility in the room with a sink, fridge, coffee maker and microwave. However there wasn't any cutlery or crockery!! On our first day there were 2 polystyrene cups in the room and two sachets of coffee. Apparently that's your quota for the week. I've never stayed in a hotel that expects you to wash out and reuse a polystyrene cup! So unless you want to go and buy your own cutlery and crockery the kitchen is completely superfluous.

The staff also leave a lot to be desired. The person who was there for most of our stay (and I'm assuming is the owner) was so rude. She is unpleasant and wouldn't know customer service if it hit her in the face. However there was a really nice guy there occasionally who was very helpful.

Last but by no means least, the parking situation is a riot. They've got a cheek to charge $20 a night for a space when there's free parking right in front of the hotel.

In conclusion this place is a rip off. We stayed in 4 and 5* hotels during our trip around California that were cheaper and considerably better. It seemed to us that they are charging really high rates purely because of the location. I would have checked out after the first night and moved hotel but they threatened to charge me $185 plus tax for checking out early! Do not stay here!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ainsley M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This inn has cozy clean rooms so close to the water you can feel the ocean spray when you walk out of your room. The staff is friendly but leave you to your vacation. The continental breakfast is simple but fresh. Be sure to pay the extra to reserve parking or you might be walking a lot!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank azmakenna
Tucson
Reviewed 27 May 2014

They didn't lie. This is as close to the beach as you can get in Pacific Beach! My room (#12) was billed as a "partial ocean view" ... I knew better from past experience than to believe that the view would be worth a darn. I have had "full ocean view" rooms from which you could barely catch a glimpse of blue in the distance.
However, this view far surpassed being "partial" ... I could clearly see the beach, and the pier, from my room. Out on the balcony, it was even better. A two-second walk downstairs and across the boardwalk and there were benches to sit at and look down on the scene. Another two-minute walk down some steps and you are on the beach itself.
The room itself was adorable, super clean and brightly furnished. A small fridge and microwave came in handy.
I had forgotten the "party town" atmosphere of PB as well as the huge amount of kelp and seaweed on this particular beach. But obviously not the fault of the hotel! I still was able to enjoy my stay, especially when I woke at 5 AM and watched the sunrise in peace and solitude.
The only cons, in my opinion were the lack of A/C (not so bad in May, but I can imagine the summer months get pretty uncomfortable) and no towel rack in the bathroom. Minor issues, to be sure!
Parking is indeed a huge issue, as PB gets packed quickly. I reserved one of their 7 spots (with 23 rooms ... yikes!) for $20 and was glad that I did!
The staff are amazing - friendly and charming, without being overbearing. Overall, I was very happy with this hotel!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for "partial or frontal ocean view" and be sure to reserve a parking spot p...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sapphire_tyger
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at the Pacific View Inn this past weekend and we had a great time! The location is perfect, steps away from the beach with an amazing view, and the boardwalk right out our door. The room was very clean and bigger than I expected with the kitchenette being a full size kitchen! We stocked our fridge for the weekend which definitely saved us some money. The staff was very nice. They also provide a nice little continental breakfast in the lobby. Yesterday we had delicious breakfast burritos and ceviche at Oscars, right next door.
There is enough to do right around the hotel that you don't need to drive anywhere at all if you don't want to.
With regard to the reviews about homeless people, there are no more homeless people here than I have ever seen in any beach city, and they definitely didn't have any effect on our stay. There were maybe 2 or 3 within a two block radius, and they were friendly and didn't bother us at all.
My only complaint was that when the neighbors in the room next to us came home at 3 in the morning it sounded like they were in our room with us because it was so loud. Maybe if the door was sealed a little better, or even a thicker more sound proof door would make it better. But this was due to the lack of manners of the guys, not the fault of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 3 is on the bottom floor, patio right outside the door, views, great room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mcnelson57090
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Yes the location is great, but make no mistake, what is billed as "Oceanfront" is a Tiny, old creepy room with No balcony, much less even a window that opens. Yes you can walk right out and see the sunset from the great boardwalk, but for the price, there are much better places, I would think to stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Randipop
Indiana
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Pacific View Inn puts you RIGHT on the beach for a reasonable price. If you read the other reviews, you will see this is kind of a no-frills place. But the basics are covered. There are only like 11 or 12 rooms, and each apparently is a bit different (see their website). Ours had a little kitchenette with nice sink, refrigerator, and microwave. There is a small continental breakfast available starting at 7 a.m. We did fine, and absolutely loved being right on the ocean. The people who run the place are extremely friendly and helpful.

If you know San Diego, you know parking is always an issue everywhere - especially by the ocean. Pacific View Inn has 7 of their own parking spaces. You can now reserve one for $20/day (reasonable). Otherwise, they will assist you in parking. We reserved, and it worked perfectly. They monitor the spaces and you are very unlikely to find your spot stolen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RJay4
Indianapolis
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was our first visit to California. The staff made us feel welcome and were VERY helpful. It's not a fancy hotel, but it fit our needs and was on the beach. The walls are a bit thin and the last evening we had some loud talkers, but there was a fan in the room and we turned it on high to block the noise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family