“Good food, strange ambiance”
Review of Urban Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Urban Bar & Grill
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between F & E
Description: Located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, Urban Bar and Grill is a fresh look at contemporary cuisine at a great value for everyone. In addition to offering a delicious menu, we are the perfect place for an after office happy hour or gathering of friends. The chic urban environment is ideal for having a glass of wine with the girls or catching a game on one of our high definition televisions with friends! Our entire menu is created in house with the freshest ingredients to ensure a fantastic dining experience. From delicious starters and fresh salads to inventive burgers and sandwiches to pizzas, pastas and grilled meats to mouth-watering seafood - our culinary team promises something for everyone to enjoy! -Patio and Window Seating Available-
Kensington, Maryland
“Good food, strange ambiance”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Two work colleagues and I had dinner at Urban Bar and Grill on the recommendation of a hotel concierge when were were in San Diego recently for a conference. The food was good, though nothing special. The service was fine and the prices were not of whack with the rest of my San Diego experience. Sill, the restaurant had a strange vibe. Perhaps it was because it was a Monday night and there were very few people eating, or perhaps it had something to do with the 1980s MTV music that played all evening, but we all remarked on the odd ambiance on our way back to the hotel.

Visited April 2014

Lawton, Oklahoma
“Disappointing birthday dinner”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I ate here to celebrate my birthday. While I'm sure the restaurant gets a lot of points for its location, I was not impressed overall. We arrived early for our reservation on a Friday night and were seated immediately. It was not busy but both of our seating choices involved a lovely view of the bathroom, so we were forced to choose the seat farthest away from the bathroom but still with a view.

Our server provided standard service. The gentlemen who put bread on the tables visited us more than she did though.

I had a caipirinha, and I was not impressed with the presentation or the taste. My entrée was not very tasty, and it also was not hot. I get the impression that it was reheated. I asked for my steak to be medium well and it was charred on the outside and very dry. So fine distinctions are not something they are good at here. My mashed potatoes were warm. We order the truffled mac and cheese on the side and found it tasty although I don't believe it is worth $9 a bowl.

• Visited April 2014
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Reservations Count for Nothing”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked a booth for 4, as some friends were over from UK to meet their Californian friends. When we all turned up at the booked time, there was no booth available and so we waited for the first available. When a booth came available some people sitting at the bar, who did not have a previous booking, was shown to the table. At this point we asked for the manager who was quite obnoxious about our plight and said we had to wait further - so we left.

• Visited February 2014
Danville, California
“fun place”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

short rib sliders were great
nice wine and bar area, you can sit outside also. Good service
Prices were not very high

Visited March 2014
Chicago
“A series of unfortunate mistakes”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Sometimes even the best restaurant can make mistakes - the trick is what they do to recover. I was part of a large business group that went to UBG about a week ago. There was a mixup at the desk and we were seated in a "private" area (curtained off) and given a fixed price menu. While we did have a reservation for a large group - we WEREN'T the group that the room had been reserved for (at it turned out). So, not understanding that it was a mistake, we placed or orders, had gotten through the appetizers and soup/salad when the "real" group showed up we (apologetically) displaced. So, there was a lot of shuffling and the price on our fixed price menu got adjusted down by $15/head to compensate. Ambiance is nice. Seems to me that the specials would be the way to go. My polenta crusted chicken was OK but not great, I left 1/3 of it on the plate along with the couscous. Asparagus, calamari and steaks seemed most satisfying. So, this was pretty much a restaurant manager's nightmare, but they tried hard to make it as good as it could be for us. Food was good, but not great (particularly deserts seemed uninspired). Probably your best bet is wine and appetizers.

• Visited February 2014