“A great choice for location and value”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“A great choice for location and value”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We spent one night here and it was a great spot for us. You can walk to Convention Center, Petco Park, Horton Plaza, Gaslamp district shops and restaurants. Rooms are done well with
great space planning to include all that you would expect from a Residence Inn Marriott. We had no street noise or other sleep problems. Great water pressure in shower. Nice atmosphere in the bar area with fireplace downstairs for good food and drink. Breakfast room was a bit crazy on the week end with lots of folks staying here, but service people kept up with cleaning tables and supplies of food. This hotel is a great value for staying downtown right in the heart of things. We would stay again. Be prepared for high parking rate overnight if you arrive by car, but that comes with the territory when you stay in most downtown hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is WAY overdue but my fiancé and I stayed at this property for 32 nights while on relocation from NH to CA. We wanted to commend Ibet in housekeeping for her extremely attentive service. Ibet was the most consistently thorough, considerate, and thoughtful employee that we encountered. I really feel as though the hospitality industry needs more associates like her.
The front desk staff was amazing. Really sweet to myself and my puppy (who was only 7 months old at the time and extremely scared of the city) I often had to carry him through the lobby, and although I was a little embarrassed about this, the Front Office staff and the Valet employees always were encouraging since they all knew he was a rescue dog. Trevor and Emanuel were always so super helpful with having our car available exactly when we needed it. Come to think of it, I believe that management needs to know that they went above and beyond for us, giving me directions for nice walks, and they all went out of their way for recommendations for great places to eat.
Kenny and Ashley are the best bartenders in the gaslamp. Thank you for a great extended stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I had a great time here. The hotel is great! Right in the heart of the gaslamp. The breakfast is really great and it's included with your stay!! Blanca was very nice to me and my girlfriend even though it was six thirty in the morning. The whole staff was great for being so early in the morning. I will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Try to get a view overlooking the city.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
San Ramon
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Oh, so disappointing. I have a “jones” for Marriott brand hotels (having a “jones is a positive feeling). Especially traveling with my family, the Residence Inn and Courtyards are my favorites. The plus on this particular hotel include the service (from front desk to doormen) and location. But the downside was the room size and some of the features in that room. We had a one bedroom suite. This turns out to be a little larger-than-average single room with a sliding opaque door that temporarily separates the rooms. So the area on both sides of the wall/sliding door are small – much much tighter than the size of a residence in that you might get in the suburbs. So that was a big letdown since the three of us (parents and one daughter) were negotiating the small tables, empty luggage, and each other. Also, those sliding doors are not a good substitute for swinging doors. I imagine the sliding doors make this room size possible because a swinging door would go well into the room. The slider is solid, but loud when it rolls. So when you try to let your family sleep and you have to take a leak, the sliding door has a good chance of waking them. In fact, the bathroom also has a sliding door (probably for the same reason), so that is two noise tests that you have to try and mitigate with slow sliding of the doors. Certainly, fooling around with your spouse is out! Unless you ask your daughter to leave and I imagine place a dock on the door handle. Internet connection was light, which was an additional “this sucks” experience. This room (room 1112 to be exact) sucked as a one bedroom. We called down for a few more towels, and they needed to track how many we had. No ice machines to get ice – they send you in your pajamas to the bar downstairs. The ice maker in the room is too small. I guess you can park your open mouth underneath the ice dispenser and wait. At least the refrigerator has a swinging door! The hand soap disintegrated within one day (we are not soap hogs, so it was just cheap soap), and valet parking was $38 the first night. The second and third nights I parked kitty corner at 5th and K Street for just $15 a day. All these experiences were a little pedestrian, but a reminder that we are not at a 3.5+ hotel. So, I like the Marriott brand. But I would not stay here again. We were glad to leave.

Green Features: I did not notice this was an initiative of the hotel, except maybe the disintegrating soap.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CARainmaker
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello CARainmaker,
Thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful hotel. I'm so glad that you were impressed with our level of customer service. The Residence Inn Gaslamp is not like a standard Residence Inn in many ways. Since we are in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, we embraced the local culture by being 14 stories high, and having all custom designs. This building is only 4 years old, this space used to be a parking lot if you can believe it! Our guest suites are 30% larger than other hotel rooms in the Gaslamp Quarter. We are also the only all-suite property in the Gaslamp Quarter. If you ever find yourself in the San Diego area again we would love to have you stay with us again. We do offer some connecting rooms that would give you the privacy you need.

Thanks again!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Centrally located, clean, staff exceptionally polite - a very pleasant stay.
The Gas Lamp district is such a fun place to go get away from everything.
Lots of bars, restaurants and people watching.
This hotel is pretty much in the middle of the district. If you opt to not eat breakfast at the hotel, there is a very good option across the street.
Only con: the bathroom sink in our room was not actually in the bathroom...it was outside the bathroom....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Far Rockaway, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of November for a research conference. The hotel certainly offers a good deal for the price; it's two blocks from the convention center and very close to attractions. I also appreciated the large refrigerator and efficiency kitchenette in my suite; as a kosher consumer it can be difficult to obtain fresh food so it's good that there is a Whole Foods a block from the hotel and you have a place to store it when you come back.

There's also a full breakfast served daily which certainly looked good; a colleague states it was excellent but I can only say the coffee and fruit were good. There are full sets of dishes and flatware in the rooms along with a dishwasher and some cooking utensils; again, largely wasted on me.

My room had a good desk and sufficient WiFi access although the network is very slow. A wired network was unavailable; the Ethernet cable to the port had been inexplicably cut. During peak times my connection slowed to a crawl, not just because of heavy use within the hotel but because from my room on the 14th floor there were 25 other networks visible so interference is a real issue.

The bed was good but not great, the couch is more for looking at than sitting on but interestingly it does fold out into a guest bed. A small table with two chairs is also in the kitchenette area, so it's possible to host an impromptu conference with coworkers.

Staff were helpful but not pushy; there is a small lounge area inside the lobby. There are no provisions for a smoker anywhere on or near the property for what it's worth, although it did not impact my stay.

I was somewhat annoyed by the motion-sensing lights though; most of the room lights will turn off if they don't see movement after a few minutes. I'm all for saving the ecosystem but I'd really prefer it if I can still see what I'm doing. The lights kept clicking off while I sat and read at the desk and moving around afterward would not turn them back on. The freestanding lamps do stay on.

There also was a clump of hair in the tub but I'm inured to that sort of thing. Everything else seemed very clean.

Overall I had a good experience and will certainly return. The experience there is streamlined with little froufrou - I don't even know if they have a spa - but they had everything I needed and didn't foist anything on me that I did not want. The location definitely kicks the value up a notch.

Room Tip: The 14th floor facing the convention center has a decent view and good light during the day.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael Z
Decorah
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was met by a delightful staff that were very accommodating with storing my luggage before and after checkout until departure. The suite I was in was beautiful and so very quiet and I felt pampered. I had a chance to chat with some of the housekeeping staff and they were very friendly as well as the staff at breakfast. Overall, I thought this was the BEST experience I could have. I loved San Diego and plan to come back!!!!

Room Tip: The suites were roomy and I rarely saw another user. The kitchen would have been great if I had need...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hello Vicky J!
We are so happy that you had such a wonderful stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, now the world can see what the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp is all about! We hope to see you again soon!