“Clean and a nice place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
California, Maryland
“Clean and a nice place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel. The room is nice and clean. It has a small cook top, micro wave, refrigerator, dishwasher and tv. A king size bed with a pull out sofa. You can enjoy the free breakfast with variety of foods and good service. The lady continuously replenished the foods and walking around take away the used plates. There is a small swimming pool on the third floor. There is a small lounge of the ground floor serving drinks and a limited food menu.
The valet parking is quite expensive; 40 dollars per night but you get free wifi at this hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank d2s1c2j
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and recommend the Residence Inn Gaslamp to other travelers. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Since space is so limited in the Gaslamp Quarter, the hotels here all charge $40 or more for overnight parking. Thank you again for staying with, we hope you stay with us again the next time you find yourself in sunny San Diego!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family and I stayed in a 1-bedroom suite (the sliding door separates the room from the living room area) for 5 nights. Some of the reviews said the room was small, but we found it to be spacious enough for 5 of us (3 adults, two small children), even with the pack n play in the room for the baby. The pull-out bed was as comfortable as you would expect a pull-out to be, but it served its purpose.

Check in was quick and easy. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Because of a large conference in town, we had two different bookings and were supposed to move to a smaller room after the second night, but when we went down to get our different room assignment, they told us they upgraded us and we could stay in the room our entire stay without moving. Thank you, Residence Inn!

The full breakfast was included in the stay and the kids enjoyed the wide variety of foods. The pool was about the size of a postcard, but it was heated so it was still nice (we were there over some unseasonably cold weather in April!).

Our room was on the 6th floor, street side, and yes, as most of the reviews mentioned, you could still hear a lot of the street noise, especially on the weekends. Try to ask for a pool-side room.

The only downside is the parking prices. Because of the location, you're going to have to pay big bucks no matter where you stay for parking, but it still hurt. $40 for overnight parking in the hotel lot. About $20-$30 in public lots across the street. We tried to park on the street a couple nights, but it's not always easy finding parking, especially at night, in the Gaslamp Quarter.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay and loved all the shops and restaurants in the area. The valet staff was awesome at recommending places to visit and then giving great directions on how to get there. If in San Diego again, we'd make it a point to stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a pool-side room for less street noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about our beautiful hotel! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our one-bedroom suites. We hope you stay with us again, the next time you visit San Diego!
Pueblo West, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights while I was attending a convention in San Diego. The room was very nice...king-sized bed, full-size refrigerator, cook top, microwave, dishwasher, dishes, table for two, chair, wall-mounted flat-screen tv. Full hot breakfast buffet was included and was good. Fantastic staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Great location in the gaslamp district...only a few blocks from the convention center and the Metro Trolley (public transit train). Outdoor pool on the 3rd floor was small and only 3 feet deep. Gas grill available in the pool area. While I was attending the convention, my wife spent her days visiting San Diego using the Metro Trolley train. Great value at only $5 for unlimited stops for the day. She was a little uncomfortable with the thought of doing it by herself, but found it to be very convenient, fun and safe. The gaslamp stop is only 3 blocks down 6th avenue from the hotel. I had one free day that we spent together. We took the San Diego Trolley Tour, which took us on a narrated tour to 11 different locations. Unlimited on/off for the day. Hotel del Coronado was a great place to stop to take pictures and walk on the beach. Filippi's Pizza in Little Italy had great pizza.

Room Tip: Limited availability of king-sized beds. Most of the availability was single queen beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank plars4
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review about our hotel! We are so pleased that you had such a fun time with us in the Gaslamp. We hope to see you again very soon!
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

On a quick 2 day trip to San Diego, we chose the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter to stay at. What a great decision! Upon arriving, we were met at the curb by the valet guys who were friendly and so accommodating. The front desk folks were just as amazing and made sure that we had everything we needed to make our stay a memorable experience. Our room was THE BEST - Spotless clean, full of amenities and quiet!! Then came breakfast (included in your stay)...not just some muffins and cereals but a full breakfast bar!! Amazing waiters/waitresses, especially ANAIL who went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. She obviously loves her job because the smile on her face never left! Thank you to all the wonderful folks at this First Class hotel....we will definitely be back and will tell all our friends about it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoBeth_Woodward
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for our hotel! We are so happy that we gave you "Service So Memorable!" We hope to see you again, the next time you are in the Gaslamp.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

First I tried booking the hotel & their rate was $159 online. I saw that hotels.com had it $139. So, I booked the hotel straight from Marriot @ $159 a night & filled out the Marriot form to get the $139 & the 25% off due to finding cheaper else where. I provided all the information & Marriot in turn told me that the rate @ $139 was not still available on hotels.com so I was basically SOL. I provided them everything even a screenshot of the price the same day booked with Marriot. So, I had to pay now the higher price when I could have booked at $139. The valet employees greeted us & we pretty much unpacked our own car. But, I still tipped them. I requested a king size bed or two doubles since there were 3 of us traveling. Was told only a queen size bed was only available. 3 people on a queen bed?
Free breakfast was good. Fresh fruit, coffee, waffles, etc. Room smelled odd. Should use some sort of spray after each cleaning. Overall the hotel was ok. Could use more smiling employees at the front desk. Your first impression is the front desk employee.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us. We sincerely apologize that this happened during your booking. This is alarming because we do value Marriott's Look No Further Guarantee. We really appreciate your business and your loyalty to Marriott. Please feel free to me directly at 619-487-1210 so I can research this for you on your behalf.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I forgot my phone charger so I thought to ask the front desk if they knew where I could find one. Cathy went out of her way to find and lend us a charger! Her attitude was so helpful and friendly! Really appreciated ...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 71happyvisitor
Thank you for taking the time to commend our customer service! Here at the Residence Inn Gaslamp, we pride ourselves on giving all of our guest Service So Memorable. We hope to see you again the next time you stay in the Gaslamp Quarter!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here the first night of my 8 day Western Adventurn around San Diego, Las Vegas, Flagstaff, and Pheonix. We were looking for a place in the gaslamp district, close to Petco Park, which is what we got. The location was GREAT! We actually booked out rental car a day later because we were able to walk everywhere we needed to from this hotel. Petco Park was a few blocks away, as were a ton of restaurants and bars.
We were able to check in with ease, they only had a handicapped room available when we checked in, which I didn't really mind. We were only spending one night, and I didn't even use the shower. The non-handicapped room may have had a nicer shower/bathroom.
The contentintal breakfast was top notch! Eggs, green onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream, potatoes. Waffles. Oatmeal and all the fixings. Coffee. Juices (most likely from concentrate). Fruits.
Upon checking out we were able to check our bags so we could explore and move on to the next location.
The lady at the front was accommodating, but I felt a little weird when she asked me if I meant to book a room with a queen bed. I was a female checking in with my girlfriend. I didn't think in San Diego I'd get a question like that. I feel like if I didn't want the queen, I wouldn't have booked it.

Room Tip: Even though the rooms were right in the heart of the Gaslamp District, I never heard any traffic or...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with the TripAdvisor community! We appreciate your business. It is our goal at the Residence Inn Gaslamp to respect and value all of our guests. We sincerely apologize for the verbiage that was used during your check-in. It was not our intention to make you or your girlfriend feel uncomfortable! Upon check-in, the front desk agents are required to confirm the room type with the guests before check-in is completed. We do get a lot of travelers that accidentally book the wrong room type for their needs. The Front Office Manager has been notified of this incident and actions are in place to switch the wording used at check-in to ensure that we are communicating clearly and respectfully.
Thank you again! We hope to see you again the next time you find yourself on the west coast!