“The Place to stay in San Diego”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #45 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“The Place to stay in San Diego”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was my first time in California and I can say that the staff made it a very pleasant experience. From the evening before we arrived and I wanted to upgrade my room, until the morning we left. We were there from 7/1 - 7/8. The staff is friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable when it comes to the many different activities you can do while in San Diego.

The rooms are impeccably clean. There is a full working kitchen in the room, which is great when you have children traveling with you. We were able to shop at Ralphs grocery store for some food and drinks to keep in the room.

The free breakfast is a huge money saver when traveling with a family of four. There is something for everyones taste. It was a great way to start our mornings. My children wanted for nothing at breakfast and for those of you who have children, you know how difficult it can be to please them.

The pool on the third floor roof is small, but it is more than enough to cool off on a hot day and your children can play without you worrying about them drowning as it is only 3 ft deep.

Denee is great! She works at the front desk and was a wealth of information! Restaurants, things to do in the many parks we visited, whale watching, etc. All of the front desk staff were very nice and helpful.
There are so many restaurants within walking distance. Between 4th & 6th there has to be at least 65 restaurants. Everywhere we ate was delicious. I'll save that for the restaurant reviews.

I would definitely stay here again. Great vacation in a beautiful city, with an amazing staff, that truly care about your experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne C
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Suzanne C,
We truly appreciate your feedback and taking the time to comment on trip advisor. We are so happy that you truly enjoyed your stay and our hotel was able to provide you with a positive experience. You said it yourself “an amazing staff, which truly cares about your experience". Denne is one of our all-stars who is a prime example on how we service our guests, she is an asset to our hotel and we could not be more proud of her. We are glad your stay was a memorable one and we hope to see you again. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location is perfect for walking to all the Gaslamp restaurants and bars. Check-in was quick and staff was very friendly. Room amenities are standard for Residence Inns. The downsides were minor but noticeable. The bathroom needs a renovation, especially the shower head which was old and rusted. The sound-proofing wasn't as good as I'd like. Traffic noise was noticeable all night and got worse after 6 am, and I was on a high floor. Also, the refrigerator compressor made a loud noise when it turned on and it ran loud. Overall, a good stay and I'd recommend based on location and room size.

Room Tip: High floor, and ask if some rooms have remodeled bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Globemaster,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your response on trip advisor. We always want to ensure our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We appreciate any feedback our guest has to better ourselves. Being in the heart of downtown does have its benefits; we are walking distance from several convenient stores, bars and restaurants. If there is ever a time when the hotel gets too noisy we do offer 24 hour security that can tend to your requests. We hope that you will return to our property on your next visit to San Diego. Hope to see you soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was down here for the half marathon. The hotel feels and looks clean in general. I think the rooms look very nice for Residence Inn standards. Staff were friendly, and they were able to accommodate me when I asked to change my room. I was initially placed in a room that, due to the piping layout within the walls, was a bit noisy for my taste. However, I do think that the hotel room isolation from noise is good (meaning they are what you would expect), and quiet unless someone is chatting right outside of your room.

I find the location convenient. There are plenty of parking building around the area that you hardly need the valet, and no shortage of restaurants. The Swimming pool area feels a little cramped. I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a parking building across the hotel that is relatively cheaper. The breakfast restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KingmanP
Kingman P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review on trip advisor. We are happy to hear you were overall satisfied with our service and hotel. We always want to ensure our guest with a comfortable stay and I am pleased to hear our staff was able to accommodate you with one. We invite you to come back to our property next time you are in San Diego. Hope to see you soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This very well located hotel was a pleasant surprise. The rooms were a good size and had many amenities including a complete kitchen. The staff were very accommodating and friendly, especially one of the front desk clerks named Denee. She helped us with our room assignment and restaurant suggestions. The morning breakfast was second to none...lots of choices and well stocked. Our housekeeper also helped with special requests and our room always looked clean. Great experience and we would definitely choose this hotel again!!

Room Tip: High rooms have a great view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan R
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Susan R,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with us on Tripadvisor.
We take pride in each of our staff members and Denee is one of our "All Stars" who consistently provides superb service, she sets the example of what we stand for. We are glad to hear you were pleased with your stay and all the amenities we have to offer. We hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit back to San Diego.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I spent July 3 (my birthday) and July 4th here. The hotel was great but the service was over the top. We were welcomed with two mini bottles of wine and a chocolate bar compliments of the front desk, the manager slipped a birthday card under my door, the maids made a basket out of a washcloth and left me two mini bottles of water and two pieces of cheesecake. The bartender at Bar Vie in the lobby (Ashley) makes the best drinks. Try the Chipolte Bourbon Sour along with the Chipolte potato chips and homemade onion dip! She even gave us a coupon for a free appetizer for the restaurant that we said we were going to. We had a little problem with the toilet and they came right up and fixed it and then awhile later the head of maintenance stopped by the room to make sure that the repairs were done, done timely and correctly and that the maintenance man had been polite. The other thing that impressed me was that I left my camera in a cab that took us to dinner. I called the hotel to see if I had left it in the bar - Shannon checked the bar and called me back to say it was not there, asked what the cab company was (all I knew was it was blue and white colored) and she told us to enjoy our dinner while she called around to the cab companies. Now that is service! The cab driver did bring the camera into the restaurant later (San Diego is great) and I called Shannon to tell her how much I appreciated her efforts. All in all - a great two days and a hotel where they really care.

Room Tip: Higher floors and West facing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
C G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Gaslamp Quarter on tripadvisor. We are so happy to hear you had a superb stay at our property. Our genuine, caring staff is what sets us apart from the rest; we always want to ensure you with an excellent stay. Ashley our bartender and Shannon our Front desk Supervisor are exemplary employees. They are an asset to our hotel and we are lucky to have them on our team. We hope you will return to stay with us on your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!
Sheffield
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A clean and friendly hotel in an excellent location in San Diego. The amenities in the room were good. The only downside was there wasn't a restaurant where an evening meal could be purchased but food was sold in the bar but the friendliness of Ashley and Kenny who tended the bar was cheering to a lonely traveller!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank RichFoster
RichFoster,
We thank you for taking the time to review our property on trip advisor. We are happy to hear you had a cheerful experience with our bartenders, Ashley and Kenny. They never surprise on the superb service they provide to each guest. We take pride in being able to provide our guest with a bar and restaurant, which not many Residence Inn property’s offer. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

May I also add, Ashley was a wonderful and very helpful host. The room was very nice and clean. But I did find the pool was super small. May I suggest that you sell aloe in your market for us fair skined quest.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank not4nutn4
not4nutn4,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are always happy to hear our guests enjoying their stay. Ashley, our bar tender is superb! We can always count on Ashley to provide each guest with excellent service. We are happy to hear you took time to visit our pool, it is an amenity that not many hotels offer in the gaslamp quarter. We have also recently added new furniture for our guests to lounge around. We appreciate your suggestion on having aloe available in our market, with summer here we will take this into consideration. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego.