“Downtown San Diego Hotel”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Pelham, New Hampshire
“Downtown San Diego Hotel”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife, granddaughter and I stayed at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter on 6th Avenue June 26-29. This is a very good property, located very near Petco Park and lots of interesting restaurants. It is easy walking distance to the San Diego Marina. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They provide a free breakfast. One watch out, parking is a bit pricey, $40 per night. Consider public parking next door if you don’t plan to go an and out a lot in a single day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dennis H, We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel with Tripadvisor, there is definitely many reasons why our hotel stands out in a crowd. One of them is being located in heart of San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park, several bars and restaurants all within walking distance. Not to mention our staff who strives to make each guests experience a memorable one. As far as our parking rates we do our best to price ourselves competitively with businesses around us. I would love to see you again at our hotel next time you are in San Diego. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Clean, efficient, and staffed with capable people, there's nothing to complain about in this Residence Inn. The Gaslamp Quarter is squarely aimed at 20 somethings looking for cheap beer and cheaper food. It is what it is. If you're looking for the storied San Diego of bougainvillea, palm trees and red tile roofs, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mtnview9
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
mtnview9,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. We appreciate any feedback that will help us provide each guest with a better stay. One of the benefits of our hotels location is the selection of several bars and restaurants that are all within walking distance. At this property we do cater to several crowds whether it may be for a baseball game at Petco Park or a citywide convention at the convention center. We hope that you will come back to visit our hotel on your next visit to San Diego. Look forward to your next stay!
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel to attend a business seminar held in the basement meeting room in July 2014. Let me begin by saying that the location is perfect. It is really right in the middle of everything. Restaurants, shopping, the San Diego Convention Center, the trolley, and Petco Field are all within walking distance. Hotels in the area are expensive, but this hotel was quite reasonable. The hotel had a group rate for those attending the seminar, but I was able to stay for an even lower rate using a AAA discount.

My experience was overwhelmingly positive, but let me begin with the negative. The check-in was frustrating - no other way to put it. The front desk clerk was very friendly, but when I tried to ride the elevator up to my room, the key did not work. When I went back to the front desk, the clerk who checked me into the hotel was busy with another guest. A different clerk replaced my key, but she wanted to see my ID. It seems like a small thing, but the key ought to work. How many times do I need to show my ID just to check into the hotel? While I am on this subject, let me also say that the entire key system in the hotel needs to be scrapped and replaced with something better. Several times the key swipe did not work. I had to swipe multiple times and hope that I swiped at just the right speed and just the right angle. I also helped other guests with their keys as well. This was not limited to me. My advice to the hotel would be to go with a key chip system that allows a guest to tap rather than swipe the card.

A second complaint would be the location of the meeting room in the basement. The room itself was nice. The hotel staff kept the room stocked with coffee, tea, and water. The room was given a lot of attention. The problem was access to that area of the hotel. It is served by a single elevator. There is a stairway that can be taken to get out of the basement, but it opens to the street, not the hotel. It is locked from the outside, and the only access down to that floor is through a single elevator. The other elevators go up, but they do not go down. With about 30 people attending the seminar, it is painful to wait for a single elevator to take people up and down to and from the room.

A final complaint would be parking. There is no parking lot because the hotel is located downtown. Valet parking at the hotel is expensive. There are parking garages nearby, and they are expensive as well but not quite as expensive as valet parking. I parked in a garage next to the hotel for $24 per night. I believe valet parking is $40 per night plus tip.

That was the negative. There is much more that is positive. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and well decorated. This is a Residence Inn, and it has a lot of the characteristics of a Residence Inn; however, it also has its own personality. The rooms are a little smaller than normal Residence Inn rooms, but they are very nice. The shape of my room was a little quirky. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast is about what one would expect from a Residence Inn, but this Residence Inn has a first floor bar with food and drinks. The third floor pool is small but nice, and the exercise room next to the pool has large windows on both sides where those using the equipment can see outside. The hotel served lunch to those attending the seminar, and both the service and the food was good.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, the hotel is in a fantastic location. It is a good base from which to explore downtown San Diego. The hotel is not that far from the airport. If you are traveling on vacation and do not need a car, my advice would be to take a taxi to the hotel and to save yourself the expense of parking your car. I spent most of my time walking in the local area rather than driving. I recommend this hotel to others because of its prime location, friendly staff, and comfortable room. If I were coming to the area again on business or pleasure, I would definitely not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Greg A,
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate any feedback from our guests. Although you did experience certain challenges at our property we are happy to hear your overall experience was “overwhelmingly positive”.
We do want to ensure every guest with a safe visit while you are here with us, which is why we require a valid identification for any room key request. Meeting spaces are not typical at your Residence Inns and because we are a unique property we have that space to offer our guests.
In regards to parking in downtown, like most downtown cities we do charge for parking.
We do our best to compete with nearby hotels and parking structures. With In and Out privileges we do offer our guests an average rate for San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter.
Overall, we thank you for the feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. We hope to see you soon and make your next stay with us an excellent one.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was my first time in California and I can say that the staff made it a very pleasant experience. From the evening before we arrived and I wanted to upgrade my room, until the morning we left. We were there from 7/1 - 7/8. The staff is friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable when it comes to the many different activities you can do while in San Diego.

The rooms are impeccably clean. There is a full working kitchen in the room, which is great when you have children traveling with you. We were able to shop at Ralphs grocery store for some food and drinks to keep in the room.

The free breakfast is a huge money saver when traveling with a family of four. There is something for everyones taste. It was a great way to start our mornings. My children wanted for nothing at breakfast and for those of you who have children, you know how difficult it can be to please them.

The pool on the third floor roof is small, but it is more than enough to cool off on a hot day and your children can play without you worrying about them drowning as it is only 3 ft deep.

Denee is great! She works at the front desk and was a wealth of information! Restaurants, things to do in the many parks we visited, whale watching, etc. All of the front desk staff were very nice and helpful.
There are so many restaurants within walking distance. Between 4th & 6th there has to be at least 65 restaurants. Everywhere we ate was delicious. I'll save that for the restaurant reviews.

I would definitely stay here again. Great vacation in a beautiful city, with an amazing staff, that truly care about your experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne C
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Suzanne C,
We truly appreciate your feedback and taking the time to comment on trip advisor. We are so happy that you truly enjoyed your stay and our hotel was able to provide you with a positive experience. You said it yourself “an amazing staff, which truly cares about your experience". Denne is one of our all-stars who is a prime example on how we service our guests, she is an asset to our hotel and we could not be more proud of her. We are glad your stay was a memorable one and we hope to see you again. Thank you for your feedback.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location is perfect for walking to all the Gaslamp restaurants and bars. Check-in was quick and staff was very friendly. Room amenities are standard for Residence Inns. The downsides were minor but noticeable. The bathroom needs a renovation, especially the shower head which was old and rusted. The sound-proofing wasn't as good as I'd like. Traffic noise was noticeable all night and got worse after 6 am, and I was on a high floor. Also, the refrigerator compressor made a loud noise when it turned on and it ran loud. Overall, a good stay and I'd recommend based on location and room size.

Room Tip: High floor, and ask if some rooms have remodeled bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Globemaster,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your response on trip advisor. We always want to ensure our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We appreciate any feedback our guest has to better ourselves. Being in the heart of downtown does have its benefits; we are walking distance from several convenient stores, bars and restaurants. If there is ever a time when the hotel gets too noisy we do offer 24 hour security that can tend to your requests. We hope that you will return to our property on your next visit to San Diego. Hope to see you soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was down here for the half marathon. The hotel feels and looks clean in general. I think the rooms look very nice for Residence Inn standards. Staff were friendly, and they were able to accommodate me when I asked to change my room. I was initially placed in a room that, due to the piping layout within the walls, was a bit noisy for my taste. However, I do think that the hotel room isolation from noise is good (meaning they are what you would expect), and quiet unless someone is chatting right outside of your room.

I find the location convenient. There are plenty of parking building around the area that you hardly need the valet, and no shortage of restaurants. The Swimming pool area feels a little cramped. I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a parking building across the hotel that is relatively cheaper. The breakfast restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KingmanP
Kingman P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review on trip advisor. We are happy to hear you were overall satisfied with our service and hotel. We always want to ensure our guest with a comfortable stay and I am pleased to hear our staff was able to accommodate you with one. We invite you to come back to our property next time you are in San Diego. Hope to see you soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This very well located hotel was a pleasant surprise. The rooms were a good size and had many amenities including a complete kitchen. The staff were very accommodating and friendly, especially one of the front desk clerks named Denee. She helped us with our room assignment and restaurant suggestions. The morning breakfast was second to none...lots of choices and well stocked. Our housekeeper also helped with special requests and our room always looked clean. Great experience and we would definitely choose this hotel again!!

Room Tip: High rooms have a great view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan R
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Susan R,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with us on Tripadvisor.
We take pride in each of our staff members and Denee is one of our "All Stars" who consistently provides superb service, she sets the example of what we stand for. We are glad to hear you were pleased with your stay and all the amenities we have to offer. We hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit back to San Diego.