“The staff made the difference”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #44 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“The staff made the difference”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The front desk staff, specifically Anita, were extremely helpful in finding us a room that fit our needs, recommending activities, restaurants, and transportation options. She also put us on a higher floor (again at her recommendation) to give us a view.

The location of the actual hotel is right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, the nightlife / restaurant part of San Diego. Everything is within walking distance.

Great breakfast buffet. Very accommodating for families with children.

Room Tip: Higher floor will give you a better view. Lower floors (4th and below) only look at neighboring bui...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Very nice hotel. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. The main action of the Gaslamp district happens on 5th Avenue, so being only a block away, you're very close, yet far enough not to be affected by any noise. Very close to Petco Park. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sara P, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
jusbern,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear an exceptional experience such as yours. Thank you for sharing with tripadvisor all the benefits when staying at the Residence Inn San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. We appreciate you and your feedback, which encourages our hotel to continue the delivery of exceptional service. Thank you again for taking the time we hope to see you soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We just stayed 3 nights with my family; had a overall good Experience but they need to work on the housekeeping and cleaning of the rooms and linen. Sadly hairs are all over, felt a little overwhelmed and didn't even want to walk around the room without shoes; I'm not a clean freak, but the rooms need to be clean better, as they have a beautiful property. Hospitality is nice, as is like most of marriott properties! Parking is pretty expensive, buts it's a norm in downtown.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Rita K
Rita K,
We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel on tripadvisor. We appreciate any feedback and are always looking for ways to improve ourselves. We want to first apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay and we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Hotel cleanliness is a top priority and a Marriott Standard, so it becomes a concern when a guest does not get the full, exceptional experience. Your feedback is extremely valuable and will review this matter with our management team.
We take pride in our hotel and staff and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and would love a second chance to revisit our property on your next trip to San Diego!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just spend a great Saturday nite with my wife at this Hotel. Great Location about a block and a half from Petco Park and right in the middle of the gaslamp district. I am a Marriott Rewards member and this was a reward room, almost free. I benefited from all the tripadvisor reviews and acted apon those recommendations, but I also found out that hotel management is also reading and reacting to our reviews, not always in the way you would hope for.
So, I asked ahead of time for a high floor as was recommended and when I checked in, they had one for us, then I asked for a corner room and they had some available. However it is now considered an upgrade beacuse people are asking for it, the upgrade cost me $30. Now I think that upgrade was really worth it. I was worried about the reviews of the studios being cramped and small, with too much shoved in, but this was far different. It really was a full one bedroom suite, lots of space, living room, kitchen, separate bedroom. And the views were awesome being on the 10th floor. At first I was a bit miffed that I had to pay extra, the staff explained that the reviews drove the demand and they were taking advantage of tripAdvisor reviews to jack up the price, but now I see it is well worth it and justified. Additional details, if you want ice right away, you are going to have to wait to make it in the frig, not too long for that first drink. We had everything we needed to make our appetizers and have our drinks in the room before we went walked to a concert at the San Diego Civic Center. It was about a 9 block walk, but actually really enjoyable stroll through lots of gaslamp action. Then coming home we had the pick of where we stopped for a nightcap. The kitchen was well stocked, everything you need. The only quirky thing is the bathroom is by the kitchen, not right by the bedroom, no big deal, just different. The only compaint I really have is that there are no available outlets (we were in room 1005) in the bedroom, I had to unplug something and one of the plugs was actually not working (Right side of the bed, top plug is broken if you are reading this Marriott staff) Of course the valet parking at $40 is very high, other reviews said to use the public parking and the one next door was $30, no in and out, extra cost at 6:00AM, I almost went back to valet, but went into the lot on 6th and K and it was only $15 for our whole time there. My wife says I should not put that in the review because she is afraid they will raise their rates, but I think not since this serves Petco Park as well.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Luis, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I really loved and enjoy this hotel. It was in a great location with access to many great restaurants and shopping not to mention Petco Park and Seaworld which my husband was really happy about since we had already planned to visit those places. I felt extremely comfortable because my hospitality was amazing since my housekeeper was constant to my every need without having to hassel to get my towels and other necessities....(i have had bad experience with housekeeper before in other hotels therefore i was pleased by the great service i had in Residence Inn / Gaslamp Quarter ....So if you ever around and want the great service ask for this wonderful nice lady Esthela she gave great service and helped me get through town easier. I highly recommend this hotel it is very clean, comfortable, and very attentive!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luis V
Luis V,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the San Diego Residence Inn Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. It is great to hear you had an exceptional experience during your stay and you were overall satisfied with our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to recognize Esthela, she is a true asset to our company and she sets the example of what Marriott strives for in our employees. Thank you again for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again on your next trip to San Diego.
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel was located in the great downtown, gas lamp area of San Diego. It was on 6 tth Ave within walking distance of restaurants, clubs, and shopping. we walked to the sea port as well. One objection was the wash basin was located in the bedroom?. Are you kidding?. My wife and I thought that this was a bit weird to say the least... How romantic to watch your partner brush their teeth
Yikes!!!!!
Other than that it was a neat place, a pretty nice breakfast included.. Certainly a good place with a full sort of kitchen!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
bblancha,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on tripadvisor. We are delighted that your stay with the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter was enjoyable and that your received great service from our staff. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We understand your expectations were not met with the room design and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. We are an Urban-Style, custom built Residence Inn and because of our Downtown location, our room types adhere to a smaller design. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is great. Great location, nice lobby with lobby bar and the rooms are really comfortable. I had a king room with a flat screen tv, a table and a comfy chair - with a view (in the distance) of the water. The front desk is always pleasant and attentive and the pool and fitness center are great. The fitness center even has a view!

Room Tip: Ocean views available if you are high enough up.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business