“Great Hotel - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! NIGHTMARE!”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #45 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Great Hotel - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! NIGHTMARE!”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Where to begin? Ah yes, April 14th, a full month prior to arrival when I made our reservation and paid for the entire 3 night stay UP FRONT via the ADVANCE PURCHASE RATE directly through Marriott's site onto my credit card. Stated very clearly on the reservation is "LATE CHECK-IN" as my husband and I, along with our 3 y/o would be driving from Disneyland. Guess what happened? Yup, finally made it to the hotel and was told that our room was "sold away". Huh? How can this be? It is already paid for, thus already mine.

At 9:46pm (as per my cell phone statement) I called the desk to remind them that we would be late and are coming form Disney. I was told that my room was waiting for us and that my request for a sofa bed for my toddler would be honored. At 10:45pm I called again to report that we were lost, but that we were still coming. This time the same clerk stated that there were only 8 rooms left and to hurry. I reminded her that I had a reservation, and she just reiterated to "hurry". At 12 o'clock at night, our super-tired family was ushered across the street to another Marriott, told that the room would be compt'd (I'd certainly hope so) and to pack up all our stuff and return the following morning. Again, whaaaaat?!?! So we go across the street like the Griswalds amid a bustling lobby filled with clubbers and ask for our room key. The room was fine, but lacked the kitchenette we reserved with the Residence Inn for all the food supplies we had stopped to buy on the way. Had to toss all perisables. And this other hotel didn't offer the free breakfast like the Residence Inn, either.

The next morning, called the desk at Residence Inn. The manager on-duty was very nice and knew who we were and said to come anytime as our room was ready. Got over about 11am and being from EST, were starving for breakfast and mentioned how we missed out. Promptly given a $25 credit and a 10% coupon for the Broken Yolk restaurant across the way. That was the only discount given for the hassle from the night before. And the 10% coupon is given to any guest that asks. Only got the $25 credit because I complained. And the super-nice corner room they supposidely upgraded us to? Well, my brother and his gf happened to be staying there with us, and they got a corner room. So much for the upgrade. They got there from Disney just before us. NICE. Had to stay in a different hotel from my family. I mentioned how I was not satified and asked if the $32 a night valet fee could be taken care of. "No" was the answer. Nothing more was done to try to make us happy, so here is your warning.

Later, I went to the desk looking for the clerk that said my room was still available the night before. Kelly appears and seems nervous. When asked how on Earth she could give our room away even after talking to her twice prior to arriving, she first blamed the guy that replaced her shift for the night, then said that on busy evenings it becomes "first come, first serve". Again, WHAAAAAATTTTT?!?! Then why bother making a reservation? She had no answer. I left the desk uphappy once again.

Upon check-out, I had given up on trying to get some satisfaction, a discount, somethng other that $25 for a breakfast we missed out on, not to mention the food we had to throw away. The lady at the desk was different, given in was now Monday and asked the usual, "How was your stay" question. Mistake. BIG MISTAKE. Quickly went though the events that had happened upon arrival, and went so far as to mention how we were still not happy. Strike Three....nothing more was done and the general manager's business card was requested. Right after this review is posted, the letter to the GM is getting written. UNBELIEVABLE.

The hotel is very nice, new hotel and turned out to be where all the families were. This is a very busy downtown. Try not to go during a game as the Petco stadium is right around the corner. Double and triple check your reservation, just as I did, but understand that at this hotel, a reservation means ABSOLUTELY ZERO to the staff, especially on a busy night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Mev1991

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Our 15 May 2010 stay at the San Diego Downtown / Gaslamp Quarter Residence Inn is an unsatisfactory excursion, and as enthusiastic Marriott Rewards participants we are unhappily furnishing the following negative testimonial.

DREADFULLY DISAPPOINTING:
Although the king size bed and crisp lines are accommodating; comfort is absent because the mattress is exceedingly rigid and the pillows are not firm. Sleep-deprived best describes our excruciating un-restful experience. Management is unsympathetic and apathetic to our request to cancel, penalty free, a pre-paid reservation for next September.

BENEATH EXPECTATIONS:
Room, in general, is clean; we found a hair beret on the floor next to the sink.
Bathroom is extremely small; toilet and shower (no tub) are co-located; with the sink vanity located in the sleeping area. Shower stall is scarcely sufficient to move around in.
Roof top pool is small and the chairs and tables are limited even though the space will accommodate twice as many chairs and tables.
No in-room safe; only safe deposit boxes at the front desk, which we did not use.
Hotel only offers valet parking, which is an expensive $32 per night.

MET EXPECTATIONS:
Inviting front desk and lobby includes a two-way fireplace.
Location is walking distances to many downtown activities and by private or public transportation only minutes away from numerous other attractions and landmarks.
Check-in is a quick and effortless experience.
Employees provide standard Marriott service; Kelly is sociable and exceptionally courteous.
Room décor is well appointed, and the neighboring occupants cannot be heard.
Windows do not open; however, the panorama view of downtown is pleasing.
San Diego bay is partially visible from the 9th floor.
Television is 32” flat screen, mounted on the wall, with a decent cable/satellite channel selection that includes local channels, CNN, ESPN, Explorer, and HBO. However, noticeably missing from the choices are the Travel and Discover channels. Make sure to bring your portable DVD player or laptop; on the side of the television composite plug-ins are available.
Sofa and overstuffed chair are comfortable for relaxing, reading, or watching television.
Additional furnishings include small kitchen table, and coffee table; no desk.
Medium closet contains three drawers, extra blanket and sheet and small ironing board with standard size iron.
Individual climate control is simple to operate.
Standard amenities, coffee and tea maker, alarm clock, and hair dryer are available.
Breakfast is continental; muffins, bagels, fruit juices, fresh fruit, egg sandwiches – with ham or bacon – cereal, yogurt, milk, coffee, and waffles are made hot and fresh by the guest.
Fitness Facilities include a reasonable amount of exercise machines.
Express check out is uncomplicated.
Building interior and exterior architecture is attractive.

BEYOND EXPECTATIONS:
Car valet is quick and first-rate; after calling ahead, we did not wait for our car as is customary.
Dinning choices are abundant.
Kitchenette amenities are ample and include dishwasher, stove, microwave, toaster, refrigerator, icemaker, pots, pans, serving dishes, and silverware.
Exceptional:
The brand new Residence Inn is a short walk to Petco Park, which are the two reasons we choose this hotel.

INVOLVEMENT OR INSPECTION INADEQUATE TO INTERPRET:
Evening and Manager’s reception.
Restaurant dinner delivery.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AmericanTrekker
Boynton Beach, FL
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I loved this residence inn. It was perfect for my needs during a training course I attended as an instructor. We had the class in the hotel. We could walk to very nice eateries as well as simple fare (e.g. Subway). The Padres stadium is in walking distance as well as the waterside. The staff was very accommodating and genuinely friendly. I'd stay here again. The hotel just opened recently and everything was brand new. The rooms are terrific (the best room was a corner one with huge windows and a view of the harbor - one of my co-workers had it and it was awesome). They could increase the wattage of the light bulbs over the sink, but other than that - thumbs up!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
alberta
Reviewed 13 April 2010

stayed their for 7 days for conference. great location to everything (covention center, gaslamp restuarants/bars, grocery store). i could not believe how friendly,polite,professinal everyone at the hotel is (from the doorman,frontdesk,restuarant staff, and even housekeeping). the best part was the daily HOT breakfast they served, not this continental garbage at other hotels. the room was large with modern kitchenette. came in handy to keep my drinks in the fridge and the leftover dinner from last night just use the microwave oven. i really like the modern decor. you can tell it's very new. the only downfall was the pool (quite small and on the 3rd floor-not much sunshine as you would like and very quiet) and the gym was very small as well. the hotel across the street had a pool on the top floor. now that's the way to do it, with a bar. the other concern was the valet parking, at $32 night, very steep. however, i'm sure other hotels were like that as well. if you rent a car, the best parking is in a car park, much cheaper. overall, awesome stay. had no problems with the hotel. hey, they even have free computer use if you needed to email someone but have no laptop. recommended for anyone to come here. best part was the breakfast, unless your just coffee person in the morning.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mountainmanAlberta
Adirondack, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We got great driving directions from the San Diego forum right here on TA to a brand new Residence Inn. Traffic was smooth since we reached SD around 2 pm. We parked in front of the hotel and unloaded our car. Our car was taken away by the valet service at a whooping price of $32.00 per day. Check in was smooth and we got the corner room on the eighth floor in the end of the hallway. This is a new hotel just opened and once again, like with a number of other newer Marriott's hotels, windows do not open. We had to leave a door opened for a while to get rid of smell of some cleaning stuff.

Our suite consisted of a nice sized living room with a large flat TV and not very comfortable but usable sofa (why not sofabed?), big bathroom, bedroom with comfortable king bed and another flat screen TV. Because we were to spend there 6 days the most important for us was a kitchen with a stove top. No oven but that was fine with us for 6 days. We had plenty of windows on both sides but one flaw of this room was not much storage place. One armoire was small, had one shelf and half of it was taken by ironing board and other useless to us equipment. We were planning to keep some of our clothing in two night stands which had three drawers each. This was funny but the drawers did not open fully so another space wasted. We don't know who makes decision about furnishing for Marriott hotels but this new hotel with nice size rooms, in good location it didn't have any place to store clothes or any area in the kitchen to store food. So we kept food on the small counter and our clothes in our suitcases. The bathroom is big, has a large great shower with a bathtub but a sink is outside and the counter space almost nonexistent. No place to put anything besides toothpaste and toothbrushes. The sink is located in a dark corner and insufficient light for putting make up or shaving.

We liked sliding screened doors between bedroom and living room and between living room and bathroom as long as we didn't have a company visiting us and using the bathroom. We should asked them to use it quietly, not willingly we learned a lot.

Another big shortcoming is the breakfast area on the second floor. There are not enough tables to accommodate all guests. This hotel has 13 floors, so there are lots of people staying and it looks like the hotel was full and there were many kids and teenagers especially on weekend. I used exercise room which is very small and a pool is also small enough for splashing only. During six mornings we went for breakfast at different times and each time (except one) there were crowds, waiting for tables and food. The lines were long, the staff was very nice but couldn't’t keep up with refilling needed breakfast items. I ended up taking all we needed for breakfast upstairs to our room so we could eat in peace and quiet. Another thing, there are some night clubs in the area and on Saturday (or maybe it was Sunday) morning around 2 am there was lots of commotion, screaming, shouting, cars and more.

Nonetheless, because our main reason for visiting SD was for my husband to attend the AAAS meeting we were pleased with staying at the Residence Inn which was a short walking distance from the convention center. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in this hotel again but for a shorter visit.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Places
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was close to where we wanted to be. The room was great. The bed was the best. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. The staff was accomodating and friendly. They explained everything and were very helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I was booked through Priceline and stayed at this three month old hotel. Excellent in almost all respects. The hotel room, while not what I would call lavish, was one of the best I have stayed in anywhere and was in pristine condition. I give out 5 stars for rooms sparingly, but this room rated. The staff was fine. My only criticism was that at breakfast on the third morning, the French toast and sausage were almost cold, and told the front desk about that. Fortunately, I had not driven to San Diego, so did not have that high parking fee. Even the dining room manager at the Solamar Hotel across the street ( where I stayed a year ago and is a hotel of which I think well of ) spoke glowingly of the new Residence Inn.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo