“Everything you need to about mystery cafe theatre”

Mystery Cafe Dinner Theatre San Diego
harlingen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Everything you need to about mystery cafe theatre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I went to the my jockeys are killing me and ill first Say the cast was great. If you go here serious though expecting to see cirque de seleil or something you will not enjoy yourself. The audience adds a lot to the show. Its more compareable to watching a show at a local arts theater except they interract with the audience and add a little comedy to it. If you sit near the main isle they will likely pick on you a bit, and the cast do get sweaty and tend to spit when they bellow out lines sometimes. The seating arrangement is a 10 person round table so you may be near some unknown people so if your not comfortable with sitting with people you don't know you might not enjoy this.
The menu had two types of chicken and a beef rib roast, the chicken was a little tough and they didnt provide real cutting knifes so i was rocking the table trying to cut through it. I wasn't too impressed with the sides broccoli carrots and a baked potato, which are the same no Matter what you order. It came with a soup which was actually delicious. And a salad that is passed around the table in a giant bowl, so that's self serve the Meal was finished off with a chocolate cake with a fudge layer, it was delicious as well. Overall though the food was mediocre at best. So if your a big food critic I would pick another venue. Lastly is the location itself it literally looks like it's operated out of my grandmas basement converted into a restaurant. The walls are made of wood painted particle board with tacky usa themed decor and a few framed posters they throw up on the end walls. I'm not gonna necessarily say skip it because I still enjoyed myself but if your going on a real special occasion I would go elsewhere and if you aren't able to eat out often there's much better places to go.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank angrytoilet

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“We literally walked out.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

If there was an option for a zero rate, I would choose it. This was a seriously big date night bust. 70's style venue was accompanied by food that must've been frozen since then. The actors seemed ready to go home as much as I did! Did I mention that the food was TERRIBLE? The level of success can only be explained by the location (and groupon deals). I guess if there are enough tourists to fool every weekend, anything can stay in business.

Visited May 2013
6 Thank Nica C
San Diego, CA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“This was a hoot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Hugh and I bought tickets for this on Groupon. The dinner theater took place in a hotel banquet room. Valet service was only $5!

The food was very good. I had the short ribs, Hugh had the chicken. The cocktails were strong!

The entertainment was funny, and what you would expect from a dinner theater. A few of the performers played several roles, and at one point, there was a costume switch up mistake, that was taken in stride and had the entire room laughing.

There was plenty of audience participation...and good natured fun was had by all!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank kms31671
California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 414 helpful votes
“Who Done it? Who cares?! Slapstick "mystery" is inane; Food is mediocre. Skip this!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I went to see "Crime Pays" at the Mystery Cafe Dinner Theatre in San Diego. We accompanied friends who planned the evening. The script for this "Who Done It" mystery is inane; the acting is suitably melodramatic, and the evening felt intolerably long. The jokes weren't funny, but the folks who had 3 drinks or more were laughing anyway. Unfortunately for me, I had to suffer through the evening without any alcohol, since I had a bit of heartburn before I arrived. I think the play would have been funnier with lots of alcohol!

The food was similar to not-so-great cafeteria-style food. We had the vegetable lasagna and the beef & potatoes. My meal also came with broccoli and carrots, which were plain but ok. I have had some frozen dinners which were more exciting than our dinners at this dinner theatre.

I wouldn't recommend this experience to anyone. It was overpriced, even though our group had discount tickets. I was looking forward to the end of the evening so that I could escape!

This is an audience participation type of experience. Various people are pulled out of the audience to participate. I must say that the few genuinely funny moments came from the audience participation moments...not from the script.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Melissa5
Carlsbad, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Always wanted to see what these were about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Kinda corny and long. Found that we sat at a table with unfriendly people and so concentrated on the meal which was okay. The acting was good, but, to me, it was not entertaining. I am certainly glad I did not pay full price...went on a Groupon. Glad I went, but it was definitely a one-time experience.

Visited February 2012