“Just awful”

Philadelphia, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just awful”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I'll start with the food. Not good for the price you pay. Cold crabcakes and bland burgers. And if you decide to share an entree there's a $10 fee, wich is ridiculous if you are buying other things. The service is good, but it's not like the place was full. Live band, but no ambience at all. Looks like the place is going thru bad times, but that's not the way of making it.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank MPainkira

Portsmouth
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Food OK - service terrible”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The restaurant was not too busy on the night of our visit and we did not expect the server to get and order for 3 drinks muddled! Service was very poor - long wait for food which was not top of the league; would not recommend this restaurant.

2 Thank MaxonianPortsmouth
San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Blacks not wanted!”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

It saddens me mainly because, as someone whose worked in the hospitality industry for years, I've always felt at home in a nightclub setting. I know how hard servers, bartenders, and bar backs work in order to please the customers. And I make it a point to leave generous tips of at least 20%.

As a regular I enjoyed the live music and atmosphere (in spite of the overpriced drinks). However I began to notice a disturbing pattern of behavior amongst the bartenders and doormen. Blacks are routinely given the cold shoulder. I myself was asked to leave because a bartender did not like how close I was getting with a white woman.

I have seen this before with other black patrons, but never seriously considered it an issue until they made me a target. I come from a very liberal background so discrimination based on race is something I would mention only after careful examination and only after ruling out every other possible explanation.

If you're white (or appear to be) you have free reign to act and behave in any manner you choose. I've seen drunken white guys dressed in tattered old t-shirts who cause a scene, be rude to the wait staff, and then stiff the bartenders on tips. And even they received better treatment than blacks.

I've spoken to Eric one of the general managers about this. He's a very nice guy. He invited me back and even gave me a drink on the house. And yet the discriminatory practices of his staff continues. And that leads me to believe management isn't fully aware of what's going on from day to day.

If you're white (especially female) you'll have a great time at Jimmy Love's, regardless of how you behave or dress. But if you're black or some other minority (male in particular) it won't matter how formally dressed or how well-behaved you are. You will be treated as if you don't belong.

So if you're black, save yourself the humiliation of being constantly scrutinized and skip Jimmy Love's. Instead go a block down to Stage Bar and Grill. There you'll find great live music, friendly staff, and reasonably priced drinks.

7 Thank Ray P