“good but not great”

Pacifica Hotel
Melbourne
“good but not great”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Would give the hotel 3 and a half rating if i could. Hotel is in a great location close by to public transport and many places to eat at and socialize. Room was pretty small and the bed was really small making it hard to sleep sometimes which is probably my only major complaint and no elevators so you will have to carry your lougage up the stairs to the entrance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay for the basics. I had the single room with bath - it was clean, inexpensive for the area, and in a great location (which is right in the middle of the historic Gaslamp District). There are no "extras" but it was well worth it (for example no mini fridge or microwave), but it was that it was quiet and there are tons of restaurants and shops right outside. It worked well for me attending a conference at the San Diego convention center.

• Stayed July 2013
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I knew when I made the reservations that I shouldn't expect a mint on my pillow, but I wasn't expecting to find bed bugs on my pillow either. I woke up with bed bug bites all over my face and body; two weeks later, I'm still waiting for the scabs to go away. I had to throw out my suitcase and backpack and launder all my clothes repeatedly, and I still live in terror that somewhere in my apartment, a newly established colony of bed bugs is just waiting for the right moment to strike. Don't be fooled by the cheap price; this place wouldn't be worth it if they paid you to stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank AYone

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Diego twice last year and stayed at the Pacifica both times. We loved it. It's close to the beach, walking distance to La Jolla shopping & restaurants, but most of all because the staff was fantastic. Very kind, accommodating and not 'fake' friendly, but 'real' friendly.

The hotel bar has live piano player and there was a lot of dancing (middle-aged) 70's & 80's music.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This place is crawling with bugs in every corridor! We stayed here during Comic-Con and couldn't sleep thanks to half of the crap in our room. There is no A/C in this place, so you'll be sweating like hell all night as well. Even if there was A/C I doubt the slumlord owner would turn it on. The wifi seemed to be nonexistent (everyone we talked to said it they couldn't even use it). This is the kind of place you stay if you are homeless and managed to save $200 and just want a roof over your head. Run. Run. Run.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Michael C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

You get what you pay for. Nothing special, cheap and affordable. Small private room with bathroom but very clean. Friendly staff. Good location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucyan
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 25 August 2011

it´s the worst place EVER! .. we didn´t sleep there...
when we arrived we got a terrible smell... the rooms are so dirty and smells like public restroom...

i´m seriously you will find that everything i say it´s true, if you put a foot in the hotel...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JocelynSoler
SanDiegoHotelman, Manager at Pacifica Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
We have several reviews on other sites (------- and -------) that are very complimentary about our hotel. We offer clean and secure accommodations for budget conscious travelers. This reviewer called and e-mailed us several times and reserved 2 rooms (without a deposit). As far as we know, this reviewer did not even visit the hotel, much less stay with us. It is very upsetting to us that this reviewer decided to use this site to make such derogatory comments.