“Great service, Beautiful rooms, my new go to in San Diego !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Aqua Mar

Hotel Aqua Mar
Ranked #161 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San fran
“Great service, Beautiful rooms, my new go to in San Diego !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow! this was possibly the best experience at a hotel i have ever had !!! The service was great, the front desk agent was very helpful in giving me directions and suggestions to every little place in San Diego and provided directions as well! They also gave us a coffee mug, which i am drinking out of right now! (It's the little things) The rooms were beautiful and modern, cute decorations and Soo comfortable! It's the first hotel I've been to that didn't feel like a 'hotel room' which I really enjoyed. This is my new go to when I go to San Diego !! I will forever be loyal to you aqua mar !!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Staleigh
GuestRelationsDept, Owner at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Awesome!! We are so happy that you are enjoying your mug at home. We like to think of ourselves as a home away from home, except of course we have staff to tend to your every need and expectation. Its always endearing to hear that our guests had such a wonderful experience with our associates and their room. The last line of your review, truly touched my heart and that is why I am responding to you as the owner. Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
little rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is truly an experience. From the friendly front desk people to the amazingly renovated rooms. We were honestly shocked when we got to the hotel because we got the room at such a great rate we weren’t expecting to have a brand new renovated hotel. The whole concept was very modern yet homely. In the morning there is make your own fresh cup of coffee and fresh muffins from a local bakery down the street. Also the hotel feature local painting from artists all over SD which I thought was really cool. Not only did we get a unbeatable rate but we had one of the best stays we have ever had. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank josegargar
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hello! Thank you for your sharing your experience with travelers around the world. Creating a memorable experience for our guests is our number one priority. Our staff and management is committed to providing excellent service, extremely clean rooms, and affordable prices. We are so glad that you noticed our paintings!! There is a local artist by the name of Krisgene Fernandez, who painted them for us and she came up with those pieces based on what she perceived our hotel to evoke. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Aqua Mar, we look forward to your next stay!
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had a confirmed reservation that I had booked through Venere. When I arrived at Aqua Mar I was told that the reservation had been cancelled that morning because when they tried to run the credit card, it was denied. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my credit card. The reason they cancelled the reservation was because ComicCon was here in San Diego and when I made my reservation a month earlier they had only charged me the going rate, rather than the overly inflated ones that are charged for Comic Con. Luckily I was able to walk walk across the street and get a room without a problem.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lyla D
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Ma'am,

Our system runs all of the credit cards the night before your check in, if the credit card is declined which it was then the system automatically cancels the reservation and opens the room online for others with valid credit cards to book. We had called your first thing in the morning to give you the opportunity to provide an alternative method of payment however we never received a call back. Unfortunately, upon your arrival another of one of our guests had already booked the room. We ask all of our guests to provide us with valid credit card numbers and their traveling phone numbers so that we can avoid this issue upon your arrival.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Do not think about booking this hotel if you're only using it for one night!! My daughter and I were flying to Maui thru San Diego, arriving very late at night and flying out on a 7am flight to Maui. We only had about 5 1/2 hours to get some sleep. When we arrived at the Hotel Aqua Mar, we asked right away if we would be able to quickly catch a cab early the next morning. The girl behind the desk offered to prebook a taxi, obviously knowing we were checking in with a reservation. However, when I showed her my confirmation email (directly booked thru the hotel and confirmed by Vicky Patel, Director of Reservations), she claimed we didn't have a reservation and they were full. I had her call the manager (Tina) and again, the manager said there was no room available. I told her I had a confirmation email and only 5+ hours to get some sleep. She literally said nothing for a couple minutes (I decided to not speak either) and then I finally said, "Are you thinking" and she said, "Do you want me to call around?". Ahhhh, YES! We didn't have a car and the whole point was to get a cheaper hotel room close to the airport, not run around paying additional cab fare at midnight trying to find an available last minute place to get some sleep. I also told her I didn't want to pay anymore than their price. She called me back after waiting for awhile and said there was room at the Budget Inn (within walking distance). I asked her how much and she said, "We'd take care of it for you". We walked over there and then had to wait for the young woman at the Aqua Mar to come over with 'the payment'. When she didn't come, I started walking back and then saw her pull up in her car. She came with $10 (the difference between their price and the Budget Inn). I had assumed that the manager, Tina, was smart enough after the fiasco to 'buy' a good review for the $70 room cost. I was wrong, they were still expecting me to pay $70 to the new hotel. We recieved no compensation for the 1 1/2 hours we spent sorting out the issue of them not honoring a reservation, much less for losing what little time we had to get some sleep! I would never recommend a hotel that will not honor their word. I'm sure there were rooms available, they just overbooked and decided to turn away someone only staying a few hours rather than someone with more than on night.

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank erinandfrank
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello Ma'am,

We want to first and foremost apologize for the miscommunication between the reservation site and our hotel. We had closed out on the site you booked with, and it's system still allowed you to book a reservation although we were sold out. We tried giving you a call before you had showed up to the hotel, however there was no answer I imagine because you were at the airport. Nevertheless, upon arrival at our hotel we had accommodations setup for you across the street at the Comfort Inn & Suites and took care of the difference in payment between your reservation and the Comfort Inn's rate for the day. It's quite unfortunate that this review was posted when we are not at fault for the overbooking, and we most definitely would have accommodated you had we had a room available and I'm sure your stay would have been more than enjoyable. Once again, I sincerely regret that the situation occurred, and we have already made the necessary calls to the site that overbooked us and assure future guests it will not be an issue. We hope that you allow us an opportunity in the future to accommodate you, so that you may give us a review after staying with us and experiencing all that we have to offer.
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I wanted to like this place, but I had some major issues. I live nearby and my wife and I were looking for a quick stay-cation just to relax. I found Aqua Mar here on Trip Advisor and it had good reviews, and the pictures indicated that it was recently remodeled and looked good. The service however was an entirely different story. I booked a room for Weds evening and got a rate of $62 for that night, which seemed like a steal. The next night they said I had to pay $100, which I figured was fine. I paid a total of $180 up front. I got a phone call the day of check in with a vague voicemail message telling me to call them back. I called back at around 11am and got an answering machine. Hadn't heard back from them the rest of the day. At about 9pm I was leaving my house I go check in when they called me again and notified me that there was a "plumbing issue" and they were relocating me to their sister hotel, Point Loma Inn. PLI does not look nice in the least, and I wasn't willing to stay there for a stay-cation. I called them back and just asked to be refunded because it wasn't what we were looking for. The girl over the phone was friendly, but asked me to call the 1-800 number to cancel and get a refund. When I called that number I explained to the woman what was told to me, and mentioned that I just wanted a refund. She put me on hold and when she returned she said that they had my original room and dismissed the "plumbing issue". I called back the front desk to confirm and she said that she thinks the woman moved someone else's reservation. We checked in and got room 112. Guess what? There is no room marked 112. When we found it, we walked in and completely heard a conversation taking place at the front desk. Room 112 is essentially a closet of a room that shares a door with the front desk area. We may as well have been sleeping in the front desk area. I do not exaggerate when I say that it sounded like we were sitting a few feet away from the front desk. I walked back to the desk and told them that we couldn't stay there due to the noise and lack of privacy. I assumed that they didn't have any other rooms available based on what they had previously told me, and the front desk girl confirmed that they did not. I then told her I just wanted a refund and we will just go home. I wasn't mad, and was very friendly with them. That room just wasn't for us, or anyone really wanted privacy for that matter. She again told me to call the 1-800 number to sort that out. I call again and the woman says that she can't refund me because it's too late, and that she'd call me back. Minutes later the front desk girl walks to our room and says she is moving us to another room. Ummm... Okay... I thought you had no other rooms??? Upon entry we just knew we didn't want to stay there. This was already a bad experience, the room was small and we were expecting a small fridge since we were just going to be vegging out in the room. I called the 1-800, AGAIN, and asked to be refunded, told her that we didn't want to stay. She said that she couldn't do that, but would refund me for the second night and I could check out in the morning. At this point it was 11pm and we agreed to do that. Aesthetically, they went for the modern Ikea vibe, but they cut corners. The shelf the TV was severely crooked, the curtains won't close all the way, I jumped in the shower and when turning the knob on it just fell right off the wall. At this point, I didn't care about any of this stuff but just noticed how obviously cheap it all was. The icing on the cake... My wife and I got in bed. We were laying there doing nothing, and within 5 minutes the bed completely COLLAPSED into the ground!!! I just laughed. We are little people! What do you do? So much for a relaxing stay-cation. I'm fixing a cheap bed at midnight. We brushed it off and went to bed. Upon check out I didn't complain or mention the bed but mentioned that I was supposed to get a refund. The front desk guy said it should all be taken care of and he gave me my receipt. I got in the car and checked the receipt... Guess what?? Wrong receipt. He checked out some other guy. So bad! I went in and notified him, we laughed it off and I still wasn't mad whatsoever. Just disappointed with the entire experience. Well, nearly two weeks later, STILL NO REFUND OR RETURNED DEPOSIT! I have called these guys 3 times and they have don't nothing. No answer. They owe me about $160-$170 and have not done anything about it. I don't know what their deal is but I think this place is a joke. The funny thing is, when I booked the room the woman mentioned that if I left a positive review on here that they'd take some extra money off my total. I think that that it is kind of messed up, but whatever. I have never left a review on anything, but I could not ignore this experience. I had to share the review. Hopefully they'll see this a GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! Beware, this place needs to get their act together.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank mikejessa
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello Sir,

We are glad to have helped you through this situation, and are happy that you enjoyed your room. Look forward to seeing you soon!
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were looking for a last minute, cheap hotel to stay one night in San Diego. There weren't many reviews but we took a chance on Hotel Aqua Mar and I highly recommend it to others. The room was only $59 and was completely renovated. Everything in the room was brand new including the floor, the bathroom, tv and minifridge. The neighborhood (Point Loma) is nice and is in walking distance to a Starbucks, a grocery store, the water and within 15 min driving to Point Loma lighthouse/Castillo National monument. The staff was nice and helpful. Overall I highly recommend this hotel for a cheap room that is extremely clean and in a safe area. We will definitely stay at this hotel next time we are in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NicoleAlianza
From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us a review. Your review is a great representation of our hotel, and we are thankful that you are sharing your experience with future guests. We hope to see you soon!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Travelling by car throughout California and was quite surprised with the accommodations here. Clean, new and friendly staff. There isn't much within walking distance but if you have a car, then this is the place to stay at the right price point. The competition in the area aren't better. The rooms are perfect and there is free parking....don't hesitate to make this yoy r overnight stop.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Bellerio2000
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you ma'am for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. We appreciate your kind words, and are glad that our rooms, service, and amenities exceeded your expectations. In the area, we have a quite a few unique restaurants, the harbor is right across the street, and there is of course all of the necessary stores in the are just in case you forget anything. We have tailored our new hotel to fit our guest needs, and are excited for you to visit us again.