“This is one solid Italian restaurant”
Review of Enoteca Adriano

Enoteca Adriano
Ranked #175 of 4,834 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Born in Brooklyn with many years in residence in NYC and the SF Bay Area, my expectations of an Italian restaurant are on the high end of "picky."

In San Diego for a family visit (and with only limited dining experiences there beforehand - mostly business trips) I picked Enoteca Adriano based on tripadvisor and other web reviews.

Bottom line is that this place is a total package with very good food (try the Bolognese), a great wine list (including reasonably priced Sicilian entries like Nero D'Avola) and a plantiful dessert menu as well as a very inviting physical setting including streetside dining. The location in Pacific Beach (north of downtown) was perfect for us though it might be a challenge for business visitors residing in downtown hotels. Nonetheless, the trip is worth it. Also, service was exceptionally good and our reservation (made the same day) was honored on time.

Was the food the "best Italian I've ever had?" No - this is not Frankies Sputino of Court Street in Brooklyn or even Carmine's in Manhattan. But, it is really, really good and prices are not outlandish. The only drawback is that the noise level is high, which of course is not uncommon with many contemporary and popular neighborhood restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Enoteca Adriano

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant. In fact, it is always amazing, fresh and delicious. I try not to go more than once a month because I usually clean my entire plate and want to fit in to my clothes. My favorites are the Specialita Di Burrata (there are 4 on the menu and check out their daily Burrata special, Verdura alla Griglia (seasonal mixed grilled vegetables, balsamic glaze and EVOO), and either of the fresh pasta specials made that day fresh by the chef. I usually order the Inka (squid ink) thin pasta with shrimp and salmon in a saffron sauce, or instead of the salmon, the chef will substitute calamari rings to go with the shrimp and use a spicy lobster sauce. The sauces are never thick and heavy. In fact, when I eat here, I feel like I'm in Italy because the food is so heavenly. In addition, the chef is always happy to make substitutions or swap proteins with pastas and sauces. If you like Balsamic dressing, ask for some of the Balsamic glaze with the hot, fresh bread which is served at the beginning of the meal. The chef, always comes out to see how our meals are, and the restaurant is touchingly named in memory of his nephew who was killed in a car accident. One last nice touch to the restaurant is when you have to visit the bathroom. In lieu of a gender sign in english or italian, or even the silhouette of a male or female, the owner has chosen an artistic photo on the women's bathroom which gets the information across very clearly. When viewed from afar, it almost looks graphic, but once you arrive closer to the photo, you then see that it's artistic, not graphic. I love shock value, so I found this very entertaining and love bringing new people to the restaurant and seeing their reaction. My sister-in-law laughed ourselves silly about it last week since we posted it on Facebook.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

After 3 weeks meandering around the USA we were starting to despair of finding a stand out meal. Our first impression of restaurants in Pacific Beach was not positive and so we found ourselves exploring a few blocks back from the beach. In the middle of this largely residential area we spotted this place and returned in the evening. We were lucky to get a table without reservation.

The welcome and service were both first rate (and for once sounded genuine). But it was the food that stood out - nothing pretentious but good value real Italian cooking. I ate the special (a seafood pasta with flaked cured tuna) that was exceptional. When I passed this on to our server the owner / chef appeared for a chat and we were able to congratulate him. We returned 2 nights later, again eating from the specials board, and the food was just as good. We rarely eat dessert but we were tempted to do so on both visits and these too were excellent. Well worth looking for.

2  Thank taxdoug
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Unassuming appearing restaurant on a side street in Pacific Beach with a great menu, well prepared dinners, all in a friendly, casual atmosphere typical of the old Pacific Beach. Quite busy so make reservations or be prepared to wait. My veal saltimbocca was served with spinach sauteed with garlic, roasted red potato, all of which was delicious.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Ate here recently on a weekend night. Was busy but service was great as was the food. Can't wait to go back.