“Looked Good But Fell way Short”

Speed Boat Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.89*
and up
San Diego Harbor Speed Boat Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience the adventure of a lifetime on our Speed Boat Adventure Tour. A guided and narrated San Diego Harbor Tour with a twist. You are able to navigate and captain your own speedboat for the entirety of the tour while following our trained and knowledgeable guides to experience the best of both worlds – the THRILL of driving your own speedboat, and the safety of having a skilled guide introduce you to the beauty of San Diego Harbor. The witty yet historical narration is done through two-way communication systems mounted in each boat.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Did this activity in April. Where initially booked to do a 9am tour but a week before received an email stating the harbor was closed due to Naval Vessel movement and our time was re-scheduled for 11am. Not a Hugh deal I thought.

Arrived for 11am tour to be told our tour would be delayed (For 5mins) as a television program was doing a shoot about the company. This delayed went from 5 minutes to half an hour. I believed this was the real reason our 9am tour was cancelled. As a number of ship movements occurred whilst on the tour.

Got Into our boats and slowly cruised out of the marina and into the harbor which was fine then where able to open up the throttle fully and slowly got on the plane. It was full speed for a while which was fine.

During the tour we travelled over a bit of wind chop and from time to time I felt water dripping onto my legs. I also decided to jump the wake a of ship. This when fine, however within minutes of doing this the motor stalled and I had to re-start for the first time.

Upon the restart the boat never had the power to get back on the plain. After 5-10 minutes of travelling and constantly behind told by the tour guide to power up he realised there was an issue. He returned to our boat and had to pump water out of the hull. This took about 1 minute and lots of water was pumped out.

From that time on the boat took forever to get on the plain and always seem sluggish.

We also stalled another 4 times and had to self re-start using the pull rope. This never work first go.

Ever little information was given during the tour. We stopped only 4 times and other then a brief one or two sentence of where we were nothing. I.e. That's the Nuclear Submarine Base. These ship are the maritime museum. All we heard was catch up, throttle fully down so I can see your going.

Overall poor tour, leaking boat, little information, lack of power, running late, seemed rushed & promoting business more important then customers

I had one adult and 2 children on boat. And struggled. They have two 50hp which preformed much better. The 30hp are rubbish and in my opinion are not maintained to a high standard.

If you don't have a boat u might enjoy it, if you do you wont.

I wouldn't recommended it to anyone

3  Thank DazzaMeg

Reviewed 24 March 2014

While in San Diego with my family which is wife and 2 grown sons. Saw this speed boat tour advert. TOUR of the San Diego bay! This is a self drive 2 man speed boat tour that is like 1.5-2 hours long. They will let you swap out drivers at the halfway point so don't worry. The guide has a radio to talk to each boat to let you know what he is about to do, and point out the specific points of interest. This is a way,way cool tour we drove next to the submarines in the maritime museum , drove under the USS Midways bow, and saw sea lions basking in the sun. Just so you know, you follow the tour guide, he will keep you out of trouble, wear sun glasses and a windbreaker, they provide a life jacket! On,y problem it went too fast, would have loved to stay out longer, like all day....

1  Thank John D
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had an excellent guide named Corey. He taught us exactly how to use the boat and made us feel comfortable. Once we got out of the wait zone we were able to take off going all around the harbor. It wasn't very expensive and it was sooo much fun! I thoroughly recommend this tourist attraction. The sites were beautiful and we got to see the navy ships and aircraft carriers up close.

1  Thank Zuridh
Reviewed 11 March 2014

San Diego Speed Boat Adventures is Awesome! AN excellent time was had by my family because of the safety, professionalism and fun executed by the entire team!

1  Thank dandre01
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We wanted to take a boat tour and decided on Speed Boat Adventures because we loved the concept of navigating our own boat. The concept is awesome. The boat is really basic and can accommodate two adults. The tour guide drives his own boat and narrates through a walkie talkie in which all boats have speakers. They go over safety items prior to leaving the dock and teach you how to restart your boat in the event the engine cuts off. DO NOT let this worry you. The procedure is very simple. In our group, there were six boats and they have you follow the boat in front of you. The tour guide is very mindful of who's fallen behind and even had to go back for a few boats that had stalled out. If you are a larger person, as am I, you may want to take you're own boat as the boats are equipped with a single 30hp outboard motor. Because of my weight and the smaller engine, we had a rather difficult time getting up to our target speed. The boats seemed weathered but definitely sea worthy and safe. All in all, a great way to tour from the water.

1  Thank Adam C