“An Enlightening Tour”
Review of Little Italy Tours

Little Italy Tours
Ranked #12 of 98 Food & Drink in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer historical and food tours in Little Italy, San Diego.
San Diego
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“An Enlightening Tour”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I are locals and we visit Little Italy frequently, yet we still learned a lot. We have also taken many city tours all over the world. Tour guide Anthony is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about his community and culture and made the tour one of the best city tours we've ever taken. My advice for this tour is to come hungry. It starts with a rich and delicious pastry and ends with yummy pizza and pasta. The tour takes in views of the harbor, historical buildings, and interesting facts about the people who created the community. The highlight is the beautiful church Our Lady of the Rosary with paintings reminiscent of the Sistine Chapel (really) and fantastic stained glass. A great way to show off San Diego to visitors. Be sure to visit the Mercado (farmer's market), which is open until 2:00 every Saturday. Divertiti!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Albizia

San Diego
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tour of Little Italy”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I resently took a tour of Little Italy on a beautiful Saturday morning. We were greeted by tour guide Anthony, who is orginially from Italy and speaks fluid Italian. We started off from the being of the settlers in little Italy to the present, which was 2 1/2 hrs, of the tour. Along the way we had a delicious pastry from Italy, delicious pizza, pasta and gelato. He told and showed the history of Little Italy, which was very informitive. I've lived in San Diego for 16 1/2 yrs. and am stilling learning about this city. I would recommended this tour and any other tours of San Diego and surrounding areas to every visitor and residience. Anthony was a great guide and very informative.
Parking is a problem, but if you take the Trolley from Old Town, it's just 10 mins. to Little Italy. And on Saturdays from 9 -1 is one of the best Farmer's Markets in San Diego.

Visited March 2014
San Marcos, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fun tour”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This walking tour is only done on Saturday morning - at the same time the huge Farmer's Market is in full swing. Be sure to get there early to be able to find a place to park that's not too far away. We started out with a yummy pastry while the tour director/owner, Anthony, supplied us all with headsets and he talked as we walked. Unless he got too far ahead, we could hear all he said. He was entertaining, knowledgeable and gracious. I was amazed at his ability to remember so many names We learned a lot about the history of the area and then ended up getting a slice of pizza and some pasta - ummm. And topped it off with gelato at a different place.

It was a beautiful day - not too hot. But I use a walker and have trouble walking any distance and couldn't always keep up. At the end of the tour, we went up a hill and that turned out to be my undoing. My son and I went back down the hill and sat and waited for them outside the restaurant where we were to have our pizza. If you have any trouble walking, I don't recommend it. My son would like to do it again on his own or with someone without a walking problem so he can hear and see the parts we missed.

Visited January 2014
Escondido, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Learn a little about Little Italy!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We love doing tours of our county of residence. It is so interesting to learn new things about where we live. I saw this tour on Groupon and purchased it for my family of 4 for a Saturday morning at 10am. The weather was beautiful and the walking was minimal. We loved our tour guide Anthony. He was very knowledgeable and knew a lot about the history of Little Italy. We were also given headsets to better hear him speak. You did have to make sure you were within range or you would get static but I made sure to stay close. I loved the stories and even meeting the people throughout the streets. As for the "taste" of Italy, we started out trying some pastries at Cafe Zucherro. After the tour, we were given a slice of pizza and a soda, some yummy pasta, and we went back to the Cafe for gelato. It was all just great! I would recommend the tour. And I will definitely go back to the area to visit.

Visited December 2013
San Bernardino
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“I learned so much history about this part of San Diego in a fun way.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This isn't so much a "food" tour and a neighborhood history tour. There is (good) food involved, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn how much Italians were involved in early San Diego history from a very interesting guide, Anthony. Well worth spending a Saturday morning here. Leave early to find parking, due to the weekly farmer's market.

Visited November 2013