“Nice Place, Close to Public Transportation”

Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
Ranked #153 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Nice Place, Close to Public Transportation”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

A nicely furnished, clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. Location is not near San Diego attractions, although it was easy to use public transportation from here. A walk of about ¾ mile takes you to the transit station at the Fashion Mall Shopping Center, where you can catch the red light-rail “Trolley” to get to many area attractions. Also, the private “Old Town Trolley” stops at the bus stop in front of the “Day” Hotel next door. The “Old Town Trolley” is a set of hop-on-hop-off trolley cars that make a circuit of area attractions.
The hotel lacks a sit-down restaurant, but has a “bistro” counter from which you can order food to eat in the seating area of the spacious lobby. The bistro also serves Starbucks coffee, though it doesn’t open until 7AM on weekends (6AM on weekdays). The “Day” Hotel next door does have a sit-down restaurant (“Bunz”) with great variety of malts and hamburgers as well as other fare, along with delicious breakfasts and friendly servers.
Don’t bother using the room phone to call Housekeeping: you’ll get a recording to leave a message, but apparently nobody ever listens to the recordings as we never received a response. A phone call to the main desk was not answered at all. If you need something, your best bet is to go directly to the front desk where the staff seems eager to please.
If you take a taxi to this hotel, it's important to make sure to specify that you want to go to the Courtyard by Marriott at the Mission Valley Hotel Circle, as there are other “Courtyards” in the area. Although I thought I had clearly specified this to our taxi driver, he first delivered us to the wrong “Courtyard.”

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Tim O,

Thank you very much for your feedback, please be aware we have addressed the telephone reprogramming issue you experienced! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back and visit us soon.

619-481-5865

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Courtyard Hotel Circle due to its proximity to our daughter who lives in San Diego. The first morning, the hairdryer completely stopped working. Within 15 minutes, Jesus from Maintenance came and replaced it with a new one. While he was in the room, he took the time to work on our TV which had a "fuzzy" picture. Thanks to Jesus for responding promptly!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Bj_Southwest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to recognize Jesus’s! He truly loves what he does and it shows!. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you visit us again soon.

Regards,

Philadephia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I picked the Courtyard because the Courtyard brand usually delivers on a consistent promise. Overall, the Mission Valley Courtyard was a decent place to stay. I found the $18 a day parking charge on the high side. I stayed there to use the fitness equipment - the treadmilll was not working right - it stopped completely after 4 or 5 minutes - actually almost tossed me off the treadmill several times before I gave up and got off. I reported it to the front desk. They didn't put a sign on it but said they would call for service. The next day I got on it, thinking it was fixed, but it did the same thing again, so I reported it again. I found one treadmill for a large hotel like this particular Courtyard disappointing. The hotel is on a road that would not be safe to run on, so that was not an alternative. I ordered take out from the restaurant one night - a chicken quesadilla. The quesadilla itself was good, but it came with guacamole that was brown. There are so many other choices in the Mission Valley area, I'd try another place next time. I felt safe and the rooms were clean, but the other little things left me disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear AffinityPA,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I apologize that your recent stay was not a satisfactory one. We have addressed the issues with our fitness center and have two new treadmills installed. Our food and beverage team was made aware of your feedback. Our parking fee is comparable to the fees charged around our area, we certainly didn’t mean to take you by surprise.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you back to this area.

Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Amazing what great management & front desk can do to make your stay perfect. The front desk agent, Sanae got me checked-in early, provided an upgraded room (I've gotten the same room on two previous stays) & explained & provided all the perks that come with the great package this hotel (Joan McClintock) offers. A big thank you to the hotel & special thanks to Sanae & Joan for all their help. My stay hasn't ended but I'm already making plans for my next visit.

Marriott Platinum Member since 2009

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fahmeed
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Fahmeed,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for taking the time to recognize our staff members! We are delighted your experience was a fantastic one. We are looking forward to your next visit!

Veronica

Minnesota
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We booked this room spur of the moment for a what looked to be a nice hot tub/pool. When we got there the hot tub was warm and full of floating bugs. It looked like a stagnant pond. I called the front desk to tell them about it and they said that there was a technician on the way. When I asked when they think it would be fixed they responded with "I don't know". The pool area is obviously neglected which is unfortunate because the rest of the hotel is pretty nice and what seemed to be kept up. A couple positives were: the hotel rooms where nice and comfortable and walking distance to a liquor store. I personally wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with our pool. We did have an unexpected incident that required for us to service our pool. We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future!
Regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was driving through California (trailering a golf cart) on my way down to The Baja, Mexico. I needed a safe place to stay a couple of nights before crossing the boarder. My wife found this place and it was perfect! A secure/gated parking area where I could leave the trailer, a good bar/restaurant inside the hotel and a really good staff of friendly/ helpful people. It is conveniently located along the highway with easy access and a short drive to the airport if needed. If I am in the area again, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank John C
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear John C,

Thank you for your comments!! We are glad you had a great time at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Poor location relative to downtown. Hotel clean and nice. Service good. Food service slow and food mediocre but overpriced. Beds were reasonably comfortable but pillows were terrible. Ample parking but small loading area in front of hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Greg J,

Thank you for providing us with feedback! Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your service expectations. Our goal is always to work on improving on any feedback provided. You are a valued customer and we appreciate your business, hope you give us another opportunity to serve you again.