“Great business stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #146 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
McKinney, Texas, United States
“Great business stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here with colleagues for a volunteer/business event nearby. Good location with shopping and restaurants within an easy drive.
Rooms were average to slightly above for this type of property. Sleep quality was good and we found the atmosphere to be quiet. Business center had what we needed. Staff was courteous and welcoming.
Lobby and amenities were very nice, including pool area and bar. We arrived early in the day, so we actually got to spend some time on the property enjoying the pool area and having lunch.
Lunch was so tasty that we decided to have dinner there one night during our stay. Pleasantly surprised, as it was better than the average "hotel food." We ate outside on the veranda with a gas fire burning. Quite relaxing.
Good value. Would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Nina Trav,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback, please come back to see us again soon!

Veronica Butler.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Was in town for two nights, convenient location, easy check in. Even with a wedding going on didn't hear a lot of noise. Gym was small but functional, easy parking, fast free wireless in the room and lobby. Wish the coffee station was out longer in the morning.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Lucky-PHX,

Thank you very much for your gracious feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Nice friendly service. I stayed for 4 nights. Parking was easy to get in and out. When I checked in I was warned that sports teams often stay at this location, so the person checking me in made sure I was not next to one of those room.
Walls can be a little thin. I could hear my neighbors talking in the next room (nothing interesting). The bathroom didn't include lotion. I was looking forward to a foot rub when I got back in.
The areas downstairs in the restaurant are nice. The lounge areas made it easy to work in. WiFi in the hotel was a decent speed. At night it would get a little bogged down.
I would stay here again if I visited the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Jimi 444,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! Please feel free to contact me next time you are planning to visit us again!.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I booked two rooms for me and my friends and we were staying here for a little vacation. The hotel was fine and I'd probably consider staying here again.

The location was pretty good. I was surprised to find San Diego a bit smaller than I thought it would be but this only benefited me. I had rented a car and when I discovered that parking was going to be $18/day I seriously considered staying some where else! Since most other spots charged for parking too I stuck with the Courtyard. Luckily there is plenty of parking.

Back to the location. It was pretty darn central. I was able to get downtown, to the zoo, the Safari Park north of the city and back to the airport quite easily. We were pretty close to a couple of freeways too. I found a great side street that would take us from the hotel towards downtown and the zoo pretty quickly. I liked this convenience.

The rooms were nice and big. The internet connect which is free worked well and I didn't get any noise from my neighbours - even with one of those adjoining doors. A couple of issued did arise - my friends' room had an dirty couch. They left a note for housekeeping but they didn't remove it. We were on the second floor overlooking the entrance. I had a big window with a nice view of the roof of the overhang for the entrance. I don't really care what I see out my window but I realized that a couple of neighbouring rooms could access my room from the roof if I left my window open. I never felt unsafe but it could be unsettling to others.

The bistro was fine. I had a couple of breakfast items and it was ok. It's good when you something to grab and go. The front desk unfortunately didn't ask me for my Marriott number (I had booked on an external travel agent) even though I had a Marriott Visa so I missed out on some complimentary drink coupons until the morning I was leaving. At check out the manager apologized and gave the complimentary coupons then. I was satisfied with this.

If I'm in San Diego again I would consider staying here.

Room Tip: Sometimes the main elevators are slow (located adjacent to the check in desk) but if you walk furthe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heather D
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Heather D.

Thank you very much for you feedback! We apologize for the housekeeping oversight. As far as the parking we certainly didn’t mean to take you by surprise, our pricing is comparable to the market. Thank you again and please let us know next time you are planning to visit our hotel!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

A nicely furnished, clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. Location is not near San Diego attractions, although it was easy to use public transportation from here. A walk of about ¾ mile takes you to the transit station at the Fashion Mall Shopping Center, where you can catch the red light-rail “Trolley” to get to many area attractions. Also, the private “Old Town Trolley” stops at the bus stop in front of the “Day” Hotel next door. The “Old Town Trolley” is a set of hop-on-hop-off trolley cars that make a circuit of area attractions.
The hotel lacks a sit-down restaurant, but has a “bistro” counter from which you can order food to eat in the seating area of the spacious lobby. The bistro also serves Starbucks coffee, though it doesn’t open until 7AM on weekends (6AM on weekdays). The “Day” Hotel next door does have a sit-down restaurant (“Bunz”) with great variety of malts and hamburgers as well as other fare, along with delicious breakfasts and friendly servers.
Don’t bother using the room phone to call Housekeeping: you’ll get a recording to leave a message, but apparently nobody ever listens to the recordings as we never received a response. A phone call to the main desk was not answered at all. If you need something, your best bet is to go directly to the front desk where the staff seems eager to please.
If you take a taxi to this hotel, it's important to make sure to specify that you want to go to the Courtyard by Marriott at the Mission Valley Hotel Circle, as there are other “Courtyards” in the area. Although I thought I had clearly specified this to our taxi driver, he first delivered us to the wrong “Courtyard.”

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Tim O,

Thank you very much for your feedback, please be aware we have addressed the telephone reprogramming issue you experienced! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back and visit us soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Courtyard Hotel Circle due to its proximity to our daughter who lives in San Diego. The first morning, the hairdryer completely stopped working. Within 15 minutes, Jesus from Maintenance came and replaced it with a new one. While he was in the room, he took the time to work on our TV which had a "fuzzy" picture. Thanks to Jesus for responding promptly!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Bj_Southwest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to recognize Jesus’s! He truly loves what he does and it shows!. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you visit us again soon.

Regards,

Philadephia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I picked the Courtyard because the Courtyard brand usually delivers on a consistent promise. Overall, the Mission Valley Courtyard was a decent place to stay. I found the $18 a day parking charge on the high side. I stayed there to use the fitness equipment - the treadmilll was not working right - it stopped completely after 4 or 5 minutes - actually almost tossed me off the treadmill several times before I gave up and got off. I reported it to the front desk. They didn't put a sign on it but said they would call for service. The next day I got on it, thinking it was fixed, but it did the same thing again, so I reported it again. I found one treadmill for a large hotel like this particular Courtyard disappointing. The hotel is on a road that would not be safe to run on, so that was not an alternative. I ordered take out from the restaurant one night - a chicken quesadilla. The quesadilla itself was good, but it came with guacamole that was brown. There are so many other choices in the Mission Valley area, I'd try another place next time. I felt safe and the rooms were clean, but the other little things left me disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
veronica b, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear AffinityPA,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I apologize that your recent stay was not a satisfactory one. We have addressed the issues with our fitness center and have two new treadmills installed. Our food and beverage team was made aware of your feedback. Our parking fee is comparable to the fees charged around our area, we certainly didn’t mean to take you by surprise.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you back to this area.