“Different restaurants, different thoughts”
Review of Top of the Park Restaurant - CLOSED

Top of the Park Restaurant
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 525 Spruce Street
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at the Inn at the Park over the Christmas holidays. We were a family of 9, ranging from late 70's to early twenties. We had two very different food experiences.
We had two dinners and one room service evening meal in the downstairs dining room. The meals were excellent. Great fish/salmon and wonderful short ribs. The servers were a bit unsure of the bartenders special cocktail. I ordered and did not like it. However, the servers were friendly and casual. We had their Christmas dinner there and everyone was pleased with the options on the fixed price menu ($38).

We had a lunch upon arrival at the Top of the Park and enjoyed the salmon pesto salads. At the same upstairs location, there is an included free continental breakfast. It is OK unless you are watching your carbohydrate intake. Hot items can be added for an extra fee. However, the cook refused to make a scrambled egg rather than a poached egg for my benedict. (I was paying for this item.) The menu did not say no substitutions. The omelets that we ordered were really overcooked. After this one time meal, I did not venture up again. My husband and mother went for the free continental.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

First time experience for my wife and me. Our server, Frank was very friendly and gave us great suggestions to consider on the menu that evening. Each item we choose was great. We enjoyed the Flatbread Chicken, my wife selected the Ribeye diner and I choose the Beef Short Ribs.

Would we return again when in the area? Yes!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Great place to start Friday Night's bar tour. Fun crowd. Good bar-staff. Nice eye candy. Stiff drinks (from the north bar). Nice outdoor patio on three sides, facing the airport, downtown/bay, and Balboa Park.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I decided to eat here because my colleague told me how great it was. I didn’t want much to eat so I had the margherita flatbread. It was disgusting. The bread was not crispy and it was thick and chewy. The tomatoes were fresh but the cheese way just running and not really toasted. I also tried the crab mac and cheese and there was not much crab and I could have made the pasta from a box of Kraft. There was nothing here that I couldn’t have made at home except at home it would have tasted a whole lot better.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

The dinning experience at this once enjoyable and fine dinning restaurant has hit bottom. This is likely due to the change in management. The only thing I can report on a recently visit that was positive was the pleasant attitude of the waiter staff. They made an attempt to be pleasant even with dissatisfied customers. With so many great restaurants in the neighborhood I would strongly suggest one not consider this one.