“Rancho Bernardo Inn - Beautiful getaway!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Montgomery, Alabama
“Rancho Bernardo Inn - Beautiful getaway!”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I wish I could have stayed longer! The Rancho Bernardo Inn is a quite beautiful, quiet, and romantic place to stay. The rooms are large. You can sit back and relax with a glass of wine on the balcony and listen to the birds sing. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The many nice fountains make relaxation easy. Didn't have an opportunity to take a dip in the pool, but the area was certainly beautiful. The staff couldn't have been nicer. You will be treated like royalty! Located just a couple of miles from the Bernardo Winery where you will find the Cafe Merlot. And, oh my goodness, the food and wine are excellent! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: I didn't know to ask. I had a room with a balcony which was quite nice. The rooms with patios...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I read other reviews where this hotel double charged or wrongly charged their guests, and the guests had a terrible time getting the incorrect charges reversed.

I ignored them due to the seeming abundance of good reviews. Wow, am I ever sorry.

This place is a nightmare. Suddenly nobody knows anything (I don't have access to that, my supervisor is gone today, blah blah blah) and can't even confirm exactly what they billed to my credit card, let alone why. I show them my credit card statement and even then, they say they don't see where they billed for the charges that are clearly listed on the statement. Its like falling down the rabbit hole; zero accountability. They are incapable of doing ANYTHING but charging credit cards and then pretending like they didn't do it.

Frankly, its unbelievable. Which is why I ignored the previous reviewers who had the same problem.

Well, believe it. I travel at least 40% of the year and have *never* been subjected to the degrading run-around these con artists have going.

There are tons of places to stay in San Diego, choose somewhere else if you value your sanity and/or expect an ethical hotel management system.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank joyofjoys
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Recent Guest, I have read your review and wish to sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced. This is not our standard of service and I wish to speak to you personally about what transpired during your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at either Jgates@jcresorts.com or on my direct line 858-605-2660.

John Gates
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was on a "Retirement" golf trip and have never experienced a resort like this one. Chef Nick is truly one of a kind...his food be it breakfast, lunch or dinner was superb. Also, the staff we met were terrific...special thanks to Alexa, Kerry and Camille who made the vacation so special. Hopefully I haven't missed anyone...but I know all we met knew how pleased we aere with the overall experience.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooked the golf course and were great, did not see any others, so cannot comment but I...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We visited the Rancho Bernardo Inn with another couple who had stayed there before. The husbands played golf on a beautifully maintained golf course and the wives had a great relaxing spa day. After golf, we joined our wives at the spa pool where they were enjoying their time in one of the poolside cabanas. The pool area was clean and well maintained. The rooms were clean and actually had plenty of wall outlets to plug in all of our chargers for cell phones, laptops, etc. We had a nice view of the golf course. The staff was very pleasant and all the staff that I saw engaged me with a smile and "hello sir". The hotel is spread out like a campus setting and it is very well maintained. There are alot of garden type settings and great places to take a walk. There are some vineyards close by and it is about a 30 minute drive into downtown San Diego depending on time of day. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We decided to take a last minute weekend getaway and stayed one night at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. Overall we had a great stay.

The spa is definitely the highlight of the property and we had booked services for noon. My expectation was that the hotel would hold onto our bags for us until check-in. Instead the front desk didn't even say a word and sent us to our room at 10:30 a.m. The property itself is well maintained and can best be described as a garden setting. With that said, the architecture is late 1970s / early 1980s Spanish, which just makes the feel of the hotel stuck in this period. This place can do everything right, but the design just didn't age well and that's something that can never be changed.

The rooms are comfortable and recently upgraded. The beds were firm with nice linens, the television was high def, ours had a patio overlooking a courtyard. The first floor rooms have private patios, but abut common areas and completely lack privacy. As has been mentioned before, the bathrooms seem dated, although they did look newer. Perhaps it was use of inexpensive and generic tile.

The spa was great, but a tad pricey for services. Spa guests have access to the spa pool, which is a lot nicer than the hotel's "regular" pools. The food was average hotel food and reasonably priced. Drinks were a downright bargain with $4.00 beers across the property. Free ice tea is also available near the treatment rooms. My one negative comment about the spa is there were three bachelorette parties booked in the pool cabanas. This is fine, but maybe it shouldn't be sold as the spa pool. Really it's just the one remotely hip area the property has to offer and it is borderline day club on a Saturday. All they need is a DJ.

Aside from the spa bar, there is also a series of bars in an area called the Viranda. These could just as easily be billed as one bar, not three. The outside area around the fire pit (billed as the Fireside Lounge) was a nice was to spend the early evening. There is also a bar immediately inside with a contemporary decor, and finally a separate area adjacent billed as the Sports Bar. Apparently this is slang used by staff to indicate it's the only place with a TV.

The formal restaurant is nice, if not a bit dated and stuffy. Collared shirts are mandatory. I wore a suit and tie and felt comfortable. There is also a separate bar area for use while waiting for your table. The bartender, Tom, was great and had worked for the hotel forever. He was happy to check on our table for us and had just the right balance of conversation without being intrusive. The waiter was great as well, recognizing a long delay in the meal and bringing a complimentary item to address the problem without us even bringing it to his attention.

On Sunday morning there are two separate brunches, and we had breakfast in the Viranda area before heading out. The selection of items was good, but again, it was the service that was standout.

We did not leave the property once, which is exactly what we were looking for. This might not be for everyone though, and it's really quite a drive to central part of San Diego. The location is not practical if your goal is being out and about and just sleeping at the hotel. Also, there is absolutely nothing of interest in the immediate area.

Finally, it's likely there are going to be multiple functions at the property which could affect your enjoyment. The Saturday we stayed, there were the 3 bachelorette parties, at least 2 weddings, and some type of couples workshop. We didn't have any problems, but I can easily see restaurants or pool areas being unexpectedly closed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We loved Rancho Bernardo Inn. It is tucked away in the neighborhoods of Rancho Bernardo. The food was impeccable, El Bozocho was delicious! The rooms were always clean and the bed was comfortable. The property smells like lavendar and rosemary. Overall I would stay again. BTW, we got married here and it is a fantastic venue!!

Room Tip: Rental car is helpful to have since the property is tucked away from the main attractions like Sea W...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Without reservation I highly recommend the Rancho Bernado Inn. The setting is beautiful, the inn lovely and comfortable, and the staff definitely goes the extra mile. For example, in the midst of a widespread power outage in southern CA, the staff quickly pulled together an outdoor grill night so guests would not go hungry. In addition, when a restaurant, where we were going to have a dinner for 60 guests cancelled at the last minute due to water safety concerns, the RBI was able to accommodate our dinner guests with a fabulous buffet, all with only 3 hours notice. I was amazed by their skill, eagerness to please, and general hospitality. We definitely plan to return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
The US Grant
#45 of 279 in San Diego
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!